Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Yellowstone and Tetons

Needs some advice on the weather for Yellowstone and the Tetons around and after Labor Day weekend. We are planning our trip across the northern route of the US and would like to maybe get to Yellowstone area after the Labor day weekend. Am I looking at the possibility of bad weather, meaning snow in the area? Also hauling a 39' fiver and don't want to get caught in the passes with snow if possible. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. Maybe even some good heads up on campgrounds also? Time we have a lot of, just want to miss the crowds if possible. Ahhhhhh the life of retired and living the dream :-)

Now lets hope it don't get to that $5.00 plus in fuel I keep hearing about.

Thanks everyone

Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We are working in the area at a cabin resort at Moran Junction. We are 35 miles from Jackson only about 7 miles to Teton entrance and 30 miles to Yellowstone there is an RV park just 2 miles I'll find out the name. As far as weather,winter is really hanging on. They had 300% snowfall and it snowed today. Did not stick but still, it is June 9th. Talking to the owners here they say to expect freezing temps at night any time after mid-August, but daytime temps thru Sept are usually good, low 70's. Usually do not have stick to the ground snow until October. Because of the snow melt they season should remain really green. We are hoping to see flower bloom by July!!!! The bear, elk and moose are out and the hiking should be getting good. Waterfalls should also remain nice. Hope this helps.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, thanks for posting this topic. We were thing of heading that way next, but just may swing up to the Black Hills area first, give Yellowstone and the Tetons a chance to 'Think Summer'.
Dave T, we will check in with you as well later on to see how it is up there. How do you like the area?
Dave, I'm with you on hoping the fuel prices hold, or even drop some. Maybe we will see you up there.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We were in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone area the last 2 weeks of August and all of of September in 2009. It could snow anytime but, it didn't. Overall the weather was very nice. However, on the last day of September the Yellowstone area had its first winter storm of the year. The RV Park we were staying at in Island Park Idaho closed for the year a day early so that everyone could get to lower elevation before the storm hit. We headed south into Utah and snow level dropped to just above the level of Salt Lake City.

About "missing the crowds", not going to happen. There were more people in Yellowstone after Labor Day than over Labor Day weekend. I think there are hundreds of retired people sitting outside of Yellowstone all with the same idea of "missing the crowds" and they all show up right after Labor Day.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Really nice here today, but still only 41degrees outside at 9am. The 10 day forecast is still showers almost everyday. I would recommend coming in late July to Aug. Going in to town today and will check diesel prices. The park at Moran is called Grand Teton Park Campground # is 307-543-2483. Don't know much about it except it is close to Tetons and Yellowstone. If you come to the area give us a shout. Teresa
Old 06-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
We'll be in West Yellowstone (Grizzly RV Park) July 5-12 and then on to Rapid City to finish out July. As for weather, put shorts on today for the first time since mid May. We've been in the northwest, the only part of the country that's not sweltering so I'm not inclined to complain about the cold.

I'm more concerned about flooding in the Missouri basin than I am about the cold. As for diesel, I've decided to just think about the delta in price over last summer. It's about a buck higher so my 9000 miles this summer is only costing about a grand more than last summer and I'm traveling on a route with a ten thousand dollar better view so not so bad after all. It's a bargain!
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
We stayed at Grizzly RV park two years ago, very nice people there, but the spaces are on the smaller side. We did like the fact that you are just a mile from the west entrance. We were there 5 days and wish we would have stayed for a few more as there is alot to see.
There is a Grizzly Bear habitat/exhibit in the town of West Yellowstone that was quite interesting.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We were in Jackson today and diesel was 3.93 and regular 3.73. Things are starting to get busy and the weather was great. Saw a herd of Bison with babies, so that was fun. And when I say saw, they were about 20-30 feet away, right next to and on the road.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We are going to be at Grizzly Rv park in about two weeks our selves. It will be our first time to Yellowstone. Really looking forward to it!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
After Labor day is my favorite time to visit Yellowstone. The crowds are gone the weather is turning cool, temperatures at night can be in the 20s to the 40s and up to the 60s to 70s by 10 o'clock. I like to stay at the Madison camp ground so I can walk down to the Madison River in the afternoon to watch and listen to the elk show. There should be a BIG bull elk about every 300 yards. Just don't get too close they will come after you, I know one came after me. That is not an experience you will soon forget. I got his picture and he didn't get me, so I guess I won but I'm not pushing my luck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Thank you everyone for the great help the MOC always has. Appreciate those that have given us there time to explain some things. Please keep any info coming as I will monitor this until it is dead.

Thanks once again
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dave enjoy Yellowstone. It wont take you long to see why this was the world's first national park.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Dave, We visited Yellowstone after Labor Day a few years ago. If you plan on visiting or eating in some of the lodges in the park, make sure they are still open. We found a few had already closed. Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs area were still open. We will return one of these days or years!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote