Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #21
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Measure. I just went out and measured mine. A short box with a 2955RL>
From the centre of the pin box to the outside of the trailer is 50-51"
From the centre of the pin hole in the hitch to the back of the cab is ~ 40".
There is 10" of interference which will hit the cab.
The cut back trailer cap helps but does not eliminate the problem that you can get only about 65-75 degree jacknife before trouble.

I've been in two spots where I had to pull fwd. and put the slider back, but I had to do it or not get into the site. There have been other spots where I have been knowingly close. Hopefully I don't forget.

Get the manual slider as the minimum. I have the manual slider, didn't know about auto sliders at the time. And to give credit to my dealer, they didn't ask me but simply put the slider hitch in.

clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #22
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We have an 03 2880 with a 07 Silverado short bed. We installed a manual slider. DH didn't use the slider and was backing into our home storage space and the front truck tire fit a rut... Broken back window in a second. We had put the Monty in it's spot several times without the slider pulled out without a problem.

We put the Monty on a seasonal site last summer. The backing was a mess, the sandy road was crowned and the truck/trailer were never level. I'm certain that would have cost another window if we had not had the slider. As said before, sliders are effective insurance.

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #23
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I have the Reese 16k manual slider. The first few times out I didn't bother using it as I watched the crush points close. In a State Park thesite was tight, so I moved the slider back. It made a lot easer on me getting the Montie in the site. I now use it often.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Get the slider.....Period. I have the manual one on a short bed Ford. I have used it many times with my old fiver and will use it with my new 3150RL. You would be amazed at what a difference uneven ground will make in your clearances. The automatic sliders are nice but several of them require you to be 100% dead straight on to couple up. Many times I have had to couple up at a sharp angle due to campground layout. I could never have done this with the fancier automatic sliders I've seen. Just my opinion here but the slider is a 99% must!
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #25
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Get a PULLRITE AUTO,18K no levers to pull,no getting out of truck..

This trip alone, on some of the roads less traveled I have use mine at leased 20 times NO JOKE!!!!! Yes you will pay more but worth every dime.

David (bear) in beautiful Coeur D Alene
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #26
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We have a dodge mega cab short bed and do not have a slider and have not had any problems because of the slope of the front of the Montana.....
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I think I will be in the minority here and almost hesitate to post! I tow a 3075 Monty with a short bed Ford and DO NOT have a slider hitch. I have never had a problem and have stayed in state parks, provincial parks and many private campgrounds. Of course I try to avoid extremely sharp turns especially when backing up as it puts a very large strain on the rig especially on the trailer suspension and axles. A few times we have had to decline a site because of insuffient space and/or uneven or rutted ground but this has been quite rare. Both our 07 and 09 trailers have had the recessed cap and this along with a shorter trailer length has helped avoid trouble.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote