Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
December 7, 1941

A day that will live in Infamy. I was around but do not remember particulars. My Mother had a brother who joined the USAF in 1939 and was at Pearl Harbor that day. I do remember a lot of crying and activity in our home and being around the radio but have no memory of the "speech" My Dad was very angry and my Dad never got angry so I remember that. All of my relations on both sides of the family were Immigrants or sons of Immigrants from Italy and Sicily. Some of them not yet citizens. All of them joined the Military, some the next day. My dad was 31 years old and had a heart murmmer so did not make it... That came later. One Uncle was concerned because his English was not so good but speaking Italian and a bit of German (he had worked there) got him right in.. They served in Both Theaters and most of them survived. My Mothers brother who was in Pearl Harbor survived that and survived the war.
They are all gone now...every one of them.
I just thought I would remember December 7,1941 and that generation of young men.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I would encourage all who having living WWII veteran family members to have them either write down their memories or put a video camera in front of them and start asking questions. I did the latter when my Mother was in her mid 80s. She was not too keen on it, but once we got started, she forgot all about the camera. The video tape is priceless.

My Dad enlisted in the Marines at the age of 30 and fought in the Pacific Theater. My FIL was at the other side of the age spectrum, he was a teenager flying a B25 in Europe. The Greatest Generation!! I often wonder how the USA got from there to where we are now.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Yes Rich it sure is a day for us all to remember, i wasnt born then but as a veteran i have friend that were in that war......God Bless Them All
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Sacrifice and devotion to duty were common attributes to "the greatest generation". I respect and admire that generation greatly and truly believe that era was the high water mark for this country.
Best regards,
Jerry and Sandy
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote