Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
daynight shades

Went to pull down the daynite shade last night on our big window on the 3000rk Montana. The unit is nine months old. the screw holding the shade came out causing the left side to fall down. upon inspection I found the the screws holding up the curtain was just screwed into the veneer paneling on the wall. only two screws to hold up a six foot shade, and just screwed into paneling no wonder it came out. I cannot believe you intall the curtains like this.
This type of assambly castes concerns on your quality control

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Blarkman, I agree, I had one fail because of this, I had to get a new one.
Try this link:
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/Ozzsmods101/
Shade%20and%20video%20feed%20from%20camera/
?action=view&current=3776fe9c.pbr
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Same exact thing happened to me too in a most inopportune time; like when we were ready for bed and the back window was the viewing area for the people behind us.

Did the same as OZZ with the extra screw. Where it came out of the veneer, just put a longer screw in at a little different angle.

That's life, living in a rolling box on wheels!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Guess we have been lucky, the only one we had to pull out was the shade over the couch window in the big slide. One thing I always carry is an extensive collection of screws, nuts, bolts, hangers, anchors, etc. Plastic anchor for original screw was used to re-attach the shade, so far so good. If that doesn't hold will try to resort to a butterfly type hollow wall anchor or a larger anchor and screw. We expect these failures since they are industry standard, so they don't disturb or rattle us too much.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Although there have been many reports of malfunctioning or broken day night shades we have not, in 19 months of ownership and many months of living in this 3400, have had a single problem of any kind with our day night shades. What are we doing right???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I might add that it is a good idea to spray silicone on a rag, then wipe the cords, you will be surprised how much easier they work.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks ozz I have wondered how to make mine go up and down easyer. I will try the silicone. thanks bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Thanks ozz I have wondered how to make mine go up and down easyer. I will try the silicone. thanks bobby
I have loosened a number of mine...do it at the bottom, they slide up and down much easier.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 AM   #9
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I am confused!! I enter a post to Montana regarding the lack of backing support to install blinds and most of the comments suggest I use a bigger screw!! or grease the blind cords. Does this fix the problem. Yes when our rv spent two months at the rv doctor I asked them to loosen the cords so blinds would slide easier. I did use small toggle molys to put blinds back up. The paneling looks like 1/8 and I doen't see how one can put screws in and expect them to stay very long. That was my point.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bob, we have to deal with what we have, the walls are flimsy, the shades are thin where the screws go in.
I think we were trying to help based on our experiences with your problem.
I used washers under my screws to spread the stress to a larger area on the shade backing for hanging support. With three screws, I feel that they will stay up.
I see your point. You improved on our suggestions with the toggle molys, that information will help us and other Montana owners. Like I said, we have to deal with what we have, and make the best of it.
Maybe we shouldn't have added to this thread, as you were basically speaking to Montana.
Lesson learned.
Good luck.
Ozz
Old 12-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #11
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I have used a small plastic anchor back in the same hole and used the original screw-- at least for now they are holding--this has worked well for towel bars and toilet paper holder--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We added set screws to all the end caps to keep them from falling off and loosened all of our shades...

I must tell you though.... This is happening in EVERY RV in the industry.. Keystone does not have a monopoly on it and I told my DH Bill that he could make a fortune at the parks we stay at just by putting a sign out that we fix day/night shades.... He is great at it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well Helen went to pull down the small D/N shade at the PC table in the 3400 and it came un strung on the left side.Broke right in the middle.How do we get the re string kit.First one that broke..19 months...not bad...
Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Rich,
Try here
http://www.dirtyblindman.com/
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks Charlie..Found that later...Perhaps we can get a kit at the Tampa RV show.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blarkman

I am confused!! I enter a post to Montana regarding the lack of backing support to install blinds and most of the comments suggest I use a bigger screw!! or grease the blind cords. Does this fix the problem. Yes when our rv spent two months at the rv doctor I asked them to loosen the cords so blinds would slide easier. I did use small toggle molys to put blinds back up. The paneling looks like 1/8 and I doen't see how one can put screws in and expect them to stay very long. That was my point.
bob
Bob, I can feel your pain. These RVs are a work in progress. It seems that most folks (me included) would rather make small repairs, even in the warranty period, than fool with a dealer. That in itself lets Keystone off the hook. Why make a better product when folks accept what you are doing? I bought a large box of plastic hollow wall anchors for future repairs. Haven't used but a couple, but unlike Rich, I'm gonna knock on wood when I say that.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #17
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
These blinds are not up to the quality that was used several years ago. I had no problem with the blinds in my 2000 model Montana, but I have had to replace 3 in this unit and I have several that the strings are frayed and one that has a string
broken. It is a shame that you hate to raise and lower these shades for fear of them breaking.

Keystone should address this problem.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Shades are a vendor item, correct??? How many shade vendors are available?? If only one, we either have shades or not. SIGH

If the vendor cheapens out, how does Keystone have anything to do with it?? Not excusing anyone, as cheap is frustrating and close to a crime, but, how bout placing blame where it belongs?? If that shade manufacturer can make em cheaper cause there is no one else to buy from, hey, bottom line demands just such an action. Is it right, nope, is it done, yep, WORLD WIDE! Profits, gotta have em.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok..so how do you get the %***##@ Shades off the window. The ONLY vendor I can find is United Shade LLC in Elkhart , In. we now have 2 broken shades. They are now going one after the other.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 AM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Ok..so how do you get the %***##@ Shades off the window. The ONLY vendor I can find is United Shade LLC in Elkhart , In. we now have 2 broken shades. They are now going one after the other.
Rich,

You'll have to remove the valance first, then you can easily get to the screws that hold the shade. We replaced those flimsy holes with the plastic screw thingys (sorry Carol for using your word).

If you put the screws or glue on the ends of the shade caps, the shades won't roll up uneven and get frayed. We always raise the rear window shade with two people pulling / pushing at the same time and trying our best to keep it even as it goes up or down. Make sure you only move the day shade and then the night shade, one at a time.

On the smaller shades, make sure you pull /push them from the middle, and try to keep it even as you go up or down.

Knock on wood, we have only broken one so far, but we try to be very careful, because fixing them is not that easy. You can fix them with lots of patience. We re-strung ours using instructions we found on the MOC from OntMont.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote