Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Slide Toppers

Has anyone replaced the material in the slide topper. The topper over our large slide has torn --- we would like to repair ourselves if possible -- anyone done this? It is separating at the seam on the RV side of the topper.

Les

Les and Julie Fullerton
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Accompanied by Alex - our 6 year old BorderCollie/Lab X.
2004 Montana 3380RL 2004 Silverado CC Duramax Dually 4X LB

Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I live in Douglas, WY right now in my Montana and the wind sure does a number on my slide toppers. They haven't ripped yet, but I have a feeling they will. A bunch of my neighbors have torn slide toppers where the awning attaches to the RV. I reinforced mine with duct tape where it connects to the RV. I hope this helps a little for I have 3 more months in WY. My neighbors put a rop across the top of their slidetopper and attached it to stakes in the ground on each side of the slide to prevent the "flapping" that eventually tears it. I'm gonna do the same thing.

As far as repairing the slidetopper, I think you are out of luck. I think that it is a very concise contraption that need to be fixed bya professional. My neighbors told me that they had to have their slidtopper replaced and it cost about $400. Maybe you can find someone to just replace the awning material and reattach it to the RV, but I think the cost would be about the same with labor and all. It is a tightly would spring mechanism that may take a bunch of labor to take apart and put back together. But look on the bright side $400 is not that much money when you think of how much you paid for the trailer.

Tim Marshall
2004 3670RL Montana
2002 F-350 powerstroke diesel
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
These slide toppers usually only last about 3 years until the start coming apart. Replacement can be expensive. If you have the expertise to change the fabric yourself or have someone that can help you, you can get by fairly reasonable. There should be a better fabric but I have not found it. If anyone knows of a better fabric. please put it on the MOC. Sure glad mine are only on the first year and I have not ripped one up yet. Good Luck replacing them

Richard & Nell Reed
St. Petersburg, Fla.
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel extended cab
8 ft bed Prodigy Brake Control
Have a Good Day
[center]

[/img]

[url="http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Saint_Petersburg.html?bannertypeclick=big2"]
[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/US/FL/Saint_Petersburg.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Saint Petersburg, Florida Forecast" height=60 width=468>
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours are four years old and have never torn at the attachment point. But in the past year the material has deteriorated to the point they need to be replaced. When I checked with our rv dealer he said he can replace just the material. He needs numbers off the roller to order the right size.

If you want to do it yourself, be very careful. I've heard the tension in the spring in the roller can whip the hardware around very quickly and break an arm if you are not careful. These are essentially just like the patio awning on a smaller scale. Replacement and adjustment is exactly the same procedure. I haven't done it but did check into it. I believe you can buy replacement material.

I also was told 3 to 4 years is expected life if yours are constantly exposed. Ours are exposed except when on the road and have made it 4 years but they have gotten to be very ratty.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Thanks for the replies --- our topper is really tearing off -- think the Arizona winds were responsible. Have decided to try and remove the topper ourselves (got the instructions from Dometic on-line) -- and will take it in to an awning repair place here in Abbotsford, BC to see if they can do anything for us. Will let you know how we make out.

Les

Les and Julie Fullerton
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Accompanied by Alex - our 6 year old BorderCollie/Lab X.
2004 Montana 3380RL 2004 Silverado CC Duramax Dually 4X LB
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Les and Julie, we've been in a lot of wind without a tear in that location on ours. I have no idea why ours didn't and yours did. If you hear any tips about this from the repair people, please post back. We'll have the toppers on the new montana and I don't want them to tear. Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote