Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Summer Electric @ Campgrounds

"Campgrounds across the country have something in common around this time every year. Not only are many of them filled to capacity, but they are trying to keep up with the high demand for electricity. The heat is on and so are the air conditioners. The familiar humming sound of air conditioners can be heard day and night throughout the tranquil campground setting.

As campgrounds struggle to meet the taxing demand placed on their electrical systems, many of the patrons camping there are unaware of the potential problems this demand can create. Campground electricity can fluctuate a great deal, especially during the summer months, when the demand for electricity is much greater. When AC voltage drops below 105 volts, or goes above 130 volts, you risk damaging thousands of dollars worth of electrical appliances and electronic equipment in your RV.

I have always been an advocate for monitoring the AC line voltage coming into your RV. If you don't know what the voltage is coming into your RV you can't take the steps required to protect your RV. So what can we do to prevent these problems? One thing you can do is purchase an inexpensive digital line monitor so you can monitor the AC line voltage coming into your RV throughout your camping trip.

You should always test the campground wiring for improperly wired circuits before you plug your RV in. Once this is done you can plug the digital meter into any 120-volt outlet in the RV where it will be easy to monitor the AC voltage during your camping trip. Many of the digital meters available provide an audible alert in case of a hazardous electrical condition like reverse polarity, a bad ground or low voltage. Some will also function as a surge protector.

If you have a generator, purchase a digital meter that can also be used to measure or count the AC frequency output of the generator. Frequency is the number of times that electricity alternates per second. U.S. appliances are designed to operate at 60 cycles per second, or 60 hertz. When you use your generator the governor in the generator must hold the speed constant at, or close to 60 hertz from no load on the generator to a full load. Depending on the load placed on the generator, AC voltage can range from 105 to 130 volts and the frequency can range from 58 to 63 hertz. The meter will let you know when the generator is not operating within the proper ranges and you can have it checked out and repaired before any damage occurs. Monitoring the AC voltage and / or generator frequency can help to protect the electrical equipment and appliances in your RV.

There are many other products available to assist you in protecting your RV's electrical system. There are different types of surge guards designed to protect the entire RV's electrical system. Most of them will have a monitor to display the condition of the power coming into the RV and provide solid state surge protection with automatic over and under voltage protection. Some surge guards are equipped with a transfer switch and will transfer to shore power or a generator automatically, protecting the entire RV's electrical system. And then there are autoformers. Autoformers provide the ultimate protection to your RV's electrical system. An autoformer doesn't just monitor the power coming into the RV; it will boost campground voltage if the voltage coming in drops below 117 volts. In the event of low voltage an internal transformer increases the volts and lowers amps. Autoformers also provide spike and surge protection and polarity and ground testing capabilities.

There are some other simple things that you can do to help protect your RV's electrical system. If it's possible you should try to avoid using an extension cord when making electrical connections at the campground. The gauges of the wire used in standard household extension cords are not suitable for RV electrical hook-ups. Eventually you will be put in a situation where you will need to use an extension cord. It's a good idea to purchase an RV extension cord that is compatible to the electrical system of your RV.

There are also electrical adapters that will go from your RV type plug and size down to household type outlets, and adapters that go from household type outlets to all types of campground RV connections. It's nice to have these adapters on hand when you need them, but you must exercise caution and use common sense when you use them. If you have a 30-amp system and you use an adapter to plug into a 15 or 20 amp outlet you need to limit the amount of appliances and electronic equipment you use in the RV. Some roof air conditioners can use 14 to 16 amps when the compressor initially engages.

When you arrive at the campground don't be afraid to request a site that is in a shaded area. This will not only make your AC more efficient, but the refrigerator will appreciate it too.

You don't need to quit camping or quit using your AC during the dog days of summer; you just need to make sure that you take the proper precautions to protect your RV's electrical system and your wallet. So go ahead, turn the AC on, kick back, relax and have fun.

Happy Camping!"

I got this from my monthly KOA email. Many of you MOC members already knew this, but I thought I would pass it along as a friendly reminder and for those members who might be new to rv'ing.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for posting this, it contains a lot of useful information. Hopefully it will keep someone from frying their ac or some of their circuit boards.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Montana Sky, Thanks for the great post, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I need some help here. I am the guy who fixes the vacuum so it blows instead of sucks. Can anybody recommend the above mentioned guages that I can buy to do these checks. A model or stock number from CW or Radio Shack or whatever would help. Sorry for being so dense. I did install (had installed) an inline 50A surge protector. I've had that trip once. I've also had a couple of camp boxes trip before. I need to know more what is going on to protect my rig - actually, I'm more concerned about protecting my wife. (and no, she is not looking over my shoulder as I type this.)

Mike
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mike,
That is the main point of the MOC, members helping members learn and grow w/ their Montana's. Here is a link that will show the voltage meter I bought from my dealership. I am amazed at how the needle bounces around during the day.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...29375&src=SRQB

Here is a link to a digital one. This one also measures frequency...
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...16036&src=SRQB

Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I found it interesting (disturbing) that several RV'ers were using external lighting to decorate their campsite and/or awning in a WA State campground this past week. I don't know what the extra current draw was for those accessories but it seemed a bit extravagent for the camping environment. Maybe the draw isn't much but every little bit can hurt if the supply is on the edge.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dean,
You might not want to come to my park then, seems that everyone has lights going around their awnings, campsite, picnic tables, and along the pathways... I have noticed over the past week that the volts are getting down around 116/118, seems more folks are running their a/c's these days. I have both of mine going, but that is besides the point... lol =) Actually I have been keeping a close eye on the volt meter, and when it tips close to the red, I usually shut one of the a/c's off in the room I am not using to help keep things in the green. Oh the joys of camping!!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dean, without those yard lights it would be like Christmas without a Christmas tree. LOL! In truth, I don't think they draw much voltage at all.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dean,

If they only turned the lights on at night, it should have been cooler outside, not as much power draw on the entire campground.

From our experience, the draws on power are:

1.) first thing in the AM, all those coffee pots brewing, and hair dryers running!

2.) When the temp goes over, 85 or 90, and ALL the A/C units come on. This is when I start getting nervous and worry about the dogs. Power goes out in campgrounds, tis a fact.

Lets face it, MANY of the campgrounds we frequent, public and/or private, were not wired for our big units, and many of them have not kept up with the growth of the number of units, or our big electrical appetites. (OR, the length and width of our big babies!)

Living in a RV is an art and a science. Ohhhh, and a bit of luck!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Montana Sky, thanks for the links for the equip. I will check into them. Do they also allow the camp box to be checked?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote