Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Storage Tray came out while towing

I had a scary problem on the way to the NE Rally that I want to mention and perhaps save someone from the same experience. I was pulling uphill on a very steep and curved mountain road and after coming out of a hard left turn, I looked in the mirror and saw my basement door up and my storage slide tray sticking completely out on my side.

I immediately stopped and found that the slide tray was not locked. The tray (being heavily loaded) hit the basement door with enough force to bend all the lock tabs and continue sliding out the side of the trailer.

I was able to fix the basement door locks by bending the tabs back. I then relocked the sliding tray several times but was a little gun shy about trusting it, so I placed a “C” clamp on the side of the tray in back of the push lock. The “C” clamp restricts the lock lever from moving and guarantees the storage slide tray can not open.

I plan on continuing to use "C" clamp extra lock protection when towing.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention Steve. Another of the many things to be aware of that are shared on this great forum.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. We are getting this sliding storage tray on our new unit. Your experience/comments are duly noted...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
When I saw the heading of the topic I thought "oh no, not again" but when I read it I realized it was the incident you told us about. Good post as it will remind us to check our tray to be sure it is secure.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:45 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. I never thought of that but can see how that might happen..Will take preventative measures today.We have already replaced the bathroom door lock set so we won't be locked in, Sent for got and installed the improved 1/2 time oven door latch so we will not have that problem. Verified that we do not have the leaking toilet problem and now this heads up..what a great source of information here.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:43 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
WOW! that could have been a real awful mess. Steve, I'm glad no one was hurt and this sounds like something that needs to be looked at. I don't have the tray but I do want to improve the storage by building a strong shelf over the drop down in front of the door . This shelf will protect the dump valves as well as making it easier to slide heavy objects into the basement. Now this post has me thinking about building something that would hold the contents inside better than that flimsey latch on the doors .

I knew the basement doors would never hold back a heavy object so I have been using bungy cords to hold the basement contents in place. The sliding tray needs a failsafe lock for sure.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Steve,

Glad to hear that you didn't have any major damage. We chose not to have the slider installed because of weight and it limiting how you can pack stuff. Your post has me thinking that I should possibly rearrange some things in the basement.

Wrenchtraveller,

What are you attaching your bungee cords to? If you build a shelf for the basement I would love to see pictures.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:25 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Colleen, I will post pics when I do my storage renovations. The way I used the bungies was I had my folding ladder on one side of the storage area and a folding table on the wall on the other side. I then put all the other gear in the middle and stretched the bungy cords betwwen the ladder and table squeezing everything together. This was our first trip and we loved the storage we had in our Montana but I was not happy with those dropdowns in front of the door. I carry my tool boxes down there and I did not like that I had to lift them over this recess. My plan is to build a shelf that will be flush with the rest of the storage area. It will protect the dump valve handles and I will put my wooden blocks under there and heavy objects can slide or store on top. This will make the storage a little more user friendly I am sure. This project is a month away but I will post in the improvement forum when it is complete. Take care and enjoy your summer.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #9
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
WAIT, I GOT THE PERFECT FIX.SAW IN IN A CAMPING MAG..
GETTING MY CAMERA AND WILL POST IT; WORKS THE BEST.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:22 AM   #10
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
JUST DRILL HOLE ALL THE WAY THRU AND INSERT
THIS PIN THRU( GET AT HARDWARE STORE)
http://i3.tinypic.com/16b0jmv.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/16b0k5k.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/16b0lqs.jpg
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:27 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Good idea with the Pin. Thanks!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:21 AM   #12
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks for the heads up, we also have the storage slide on our rig but I would never have another one. It just takes up about half of your storage space and if you load it up you cannot use the mesh hamper for laundry. With a nine year old we end up with a lot of laundry also skate boards, scooter, body board etc, so we need the storage space.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Completed the Mod on the storage tray suggested by Steves.Time to Complete mod 15 mins, cost to complete mod, nothing, (all parts on hand)...Peace of mind..priceless..There is a bit more room in the side bay of the 3400 as the tray interferes with nothing..don't know if it cuts down on the amount of storage space or not but it makes it a whole lot easier to get to stuff. The size of your side bay would be a consideration in having the tray or not///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote