Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Aluminum Wheels

We have leaky rims. First one happened when I hit a curb on the driver's side going into a parking lot. So, that one is on me. It took 6 weeks to finally get the correct replacement. First one shipped from Montana was many hole pattern like the new Cambridge has. Finally got the correct five spoke star pattern. I installed it and the very next day I noticed the front wheel on driver side was down. Sure enough, the rim is leaking. Both rims leak near the center where the spokes attach.

We have a schedule so plan to stock up on fix-a-flat to get us through emergencies until we get back to AZ. Wish us luck.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I wish you luck. Hope you are finished with the flats.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Never had a problem (so far) with our aluminum rims.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
First time I have heard of this with aluminum wheels. The steel spoke wheels like I have are bad for cracking.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You know what's gonna happen, Dave. When you get that new Cambridge and get a leaky rim they'll ship a Montana wheel the first time!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:09 AM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We wanted aluminum wheels on our new Monty but our dealer talked us out of it using this very example. I was willing to pay extra for the option but decided to stay with the steel/chrome centers. So far no problems. Hope you guys recovery quickly.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
As Steve noted, I have ducked the problem for the moment (solved a $200.00 problem by spending $40,000. One would think I worked for the pentagon.). For what it's worth, the new rim I did buy was $185.00 plus freight They skipped the freight charge because it took so long to get it right. Also, I looked into repair. One tire shop said they do it all the time "Just need a guy who is good at welding Aluminum." Four other shops told me No Way -- never been fully successful. I decided not to take a chance. I gave the old rim to my cousin who plans to recycle it.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have the aluminum wheels on both our pickup and trailer. We've never had any problems with them. After all these years I'm sure the aluminum wheels are every bit as reliable as the steel ones.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Have aluminum wheels on the coach and have not had any trouble with them or tires holding air pressure. After being stored in the shop for winter, tires came out holding a full 80psi as they did when they went in. Just got home from a 900 mile trip and they still read full 80psi. I sure like them better than the steel wheels as these match the truck.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:48 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Funny thing, When we picked up the new Cambridge last Thursday, the technician doing the orientation told us they had swapped out wheels and tires the day before as there was a recall. I couldn't tell if it was the aluminum rim or the tires but they replaced both. Also, the tires for the Cambridge are "G" rated and inflated to 110 psi. So much for my little portable air pump.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
Montana_5071

M.O.C. #5071
Very interesting about the recall. When we contacted Keystone about our cracked aluminum wheels they told us they had never had any problem with them.
Montana_5071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Dixiencoy: You have responded to a thread that is almost a year old. Since then many of us have had rim problems and Keystone has replaced the rims.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #13
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find it strange that someone would offer to weld a rim and then put it back on your trailer. This is a safety item. I put one of those aluminum rims into a service station post by the fuel pumps. I was barely moveing when I HIT. It bent that aluminum rim big time. It was not my trailer,I was transporting the trailer. I could not beleive it CRUSHED that rim so bad. A road service truck happened to pull into the fuel pumps just after it happened and had me follow him about a quarter mile away to his repair shop, to change it out for the spare. He said he finds that the aluminum rims tend to be easier to bend than steel. He used the beer can story on tv ,the crushing the beer can with your head ,the old style beer can versus the new aluminum one ,which one is easier?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:48 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A quality aluminum rim is just as good as a quality steel rim and looks better..the key word here is "quality" We got the steel rims on the new 3400 because we were not about to pay the price for the OEM Aluminum wheels that come with the camper.
A good set of high quality aluminum wheels are in our future down the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:18 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

...He used the beer can story on tv ,the crushing the beer can with your head ,the old style beer can versus the new aluminum one ,which one is easier?
Really??? So aluminum cans on your head don't hurt as much??? Oh wow... and I thought I was just more prone to hangovers during my college "career"... That also explains my unusually shaped forehead and early receding hairline... Had one guy on our football team who ate glass (figures... he was a linebacker). Never got THAT inebriated.

We, also are getting the steel rims for now, due to the extra cost as an option. What kind of prices can one expect to pay for four aluminum wheels, after market?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:27 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In over six years, we have had one aluminum wheel go bad. It leaked at the valve stem where a little crack had developed. Keystone replaced it when the rig was four years old. No troubles since.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #17
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Have these on ours and there are holding up well and look great with the GMC.
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...ed&section=ORT

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote