Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
warning on good sam database

So this trip so far we have been let down by the rv campground database used In the magellan gps sold by camping world. Apparently, even though I downloaded the latest maps, etc late last year, my gps still has campground info from 2014. This lead me through the wrong part of town in chatham illinois and into a residential area while following gps to double j campground. Lovely time getting out and finding the campground. Today...we were led onto cr361 in/near st joseph, missouri. One lane gravel, no way to turn around, over 12 ton limit bridge, several miles till we popped out on a country road that eventually led us back to where we got off of interstate 29 many harrowing miles before. This was supposed to take us to AOK campground. SO from now on, I will only use the address of the campground manually entered into the gps as well as entered in my old garmen gps to route us to campgrounds. How many other messed up campground info in this good sam database I don't know. John

Old 05-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Interesting, glad you managed to extract yourself without damage. I have the non-camping world Rand McNally so I've always had to either use the address or the built in campground search engine and so far I've been lucky and never had an issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Whenever possible I not only plan the trip via the GPS but I use Google Maps on the satellite setting to fly the route to get an overview of where the GPS is going to try to send me and see what the roads looks like. You can't see everything but it gives you a good idea of where you will be going and what to expect.
The other thing I have been doing is using both the Rand McNally GPS and my smart phone GPS to see if they agree on the route. I figure that my smart phone will have the most updated mapping software and the Rand McNally should be taking us on more like a trucker's route than the smart phone. Most of the time they agree on routes, but when they don't it's time to get the map out and make sure how to proceed. As we all know 50+' of rig is not fun to turn around if you don't have the room.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
One can't always trust a GPS. They can still send you the wrong way or the longest way. I always have a good idea of where I'm going before putting all my trust in just the GPS.
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by offroad71

One can't always trust a GPS. They can still send you the wrong way or the longest way. I always have a good idea of where I'm going before putting all my trust in just the GPS.
Good advice. You need to have a good idea of where you are going and the route and not totally depend on the GPS.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:56 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The lesson learned here is to always check using another source. We double check with Yahoo maps , map quest. Google maps. The problem is roads change faster than GPS map updates. Older maps can do the same. We have found the GPS to be far more reliable than other sources but as you have learned.....not always.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

So this trip so far we have been let down by the rv campground database used In the magellan gps sold by camping world. Apparently, even though I downloaded the latest maps, etc late last year, my gps still has campground info from 2014. This lead me through the wrong part of town in chatham illinois and into a residential area while following gps to double j campground. Lovely time getting out and finding the campground. Today...we were led onto cr361 in/near st joseph, missouri. One lane gravel, no way to turn around, over 12 ton limit bridge, several miles till we popped out on a country road that eventually led us back to where we got off of interstate 29 many harrowing miles before. This was supposed to take us to AOK campground. SO from now on, I will only use the address of the campground manually entered into the gps as well as entered in my old garmen gps to route us to campgrounds. How many other messed up campground info in this good sam database I don't know. John
Is the Good Sam GPS that you are taking about a Megallan or is it a Rand McNally unit?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote