Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Ferry Travel

We're going from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria Isl. BC on 9/14 and then from Nanaimo,B.C. to Vancouver on 9/20. I've never towed on a ferry before - and am somewhat nervous. Have talked to several people who have - seems like no big deal to them.

Any suggestions in preparation for ferry travel? We will have two dogs with us, which I believe need to stay in the truck cab during the rather short trips.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
I can't help you with the ferry part of your question but I can with the dog part.

Just a thought that you probably already know and do. When traveling with dogs, you should have their health history, list of any medications that they take and most recent rabies inoculation record. Crossing any border will require that rabies information specifically. I travel with four or more dogs quite often. I also live close to Canada and have taken many dogs back and forth. I have a folder for each one that lists all information that is needed and includes the current vet certificate for rabies. I have NEVER had a problem in over 30 years. If your dog had an accident or became ill, this information will be invaluable for the vet who will try to help with them. Be sure you have all pertinent phone numbers as well.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Our experience and reading the experience of others who have done the ferry trip with a rig:

They put 18 wheelers on these ferries and motor homes and 5ers. The parking staff are really good at this, and will direct you, we thought for sure the guy was nuts, but, he got us on there, no problem.

Call ahead to the specific ferry company, ask questions, concerning the dogs and the propane. Many also have really good web sites now, read them, over and over again.

It is an experience for sure, we were glad we did the one we did do, would not back off of another, except for $$. LOL. But, many times the ferry fee actually works out cheaper than the fuel.

Have fun! Sounds like a great trip.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Steve & Donna,
I was anxious too. We were lined up with all the big rigs. They put us on 1st just as easy as pulling into a big parking lot. We went to Victoria from Anacordes through the San Juan islands. A great trip. The Washington State Ferry allowed us back and forth to the rig to check on the pooch. We were able to sit in the truck with a great view!
From Victoria to Port Angeles, it was the Black Ball Ferry line. They did not permit us to go down to the rig during the ride. The captain did see a few whales and went out of the way to let us enjoy them for a few minutes.
In both events, diving on and off the ferry was a piece of cake.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
I was with Ken on that trip....and I don't remember him "diving on and off the ferry!!" He was DRIVING on and off the ferry!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Thanks for all the positive input. I assumed we would not have to "dive" off the ferry! Will let you know how it went on return.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
You might also PM Hookman, he can enlighten you as he is from BC---I believe.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Have you checked into taking the Washington State Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney B.C as I believe it is about half the cost if pulling 5th wheel. I have been on the Blackball Ferry a couple of times and it is a nice trip but I think it is a beautiful view going thru the San Juan Islands. Just a thought.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
The ferry system in British Columbia is VERY expensive for a truck & trailer. The rates are probably posted on BC Ferries website so that you can know what you're getting yourself into ahead of time. Our trailer & truck is about 52' in length and the cost ONE WAY (for an hour and a half trip) was approx. $450. return. Never again!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Owining a money pit like a fifth wheel, with winnegard antenna, new pin box, G614's, take along toys, and the cost of diesel fuel, worrying about a few hundred bucks for a ferry ride is the last thing on my mind! Seriously, it will be about $600 total for the two trips. But, at my age, not doing something trying to save a few bucks may mean it never gets done!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You'll find this is easy to do. Fortunately this is a short trip.

The attendants will pre-park you into lanes before getting on the Ferry based on your destination, if there's more than one. Then you just drive straight on as directed. They do ask to turn off the lights but some vehicles with driving lights, this can't be done and they understand. Everything is pretty much a pull-through with no backing up. They'll guide you into position. You will probably be packed in pretty tight!

Then when you arrive they dock so you drive straight off as well.

They want the pets in your rig for theirs and the safety of others (no biting allowed because these trips can make a pet pretty nervous). Some ferry rides allow a portable kennel for your pet and a designated place for them so they aren't stuck in a stuffy vehicle, but with all the noise and goings on this can make some pets nervous. You are usually not allowed to go below while in transit, but don't be afraid to ask the ticket folks what to expect, then the crew (I've seen some crews to be more lax than others) on what they allow.

Expect the worst (stuck in the truck), but be prepared for some flexibility (kennel, leash, etc.) if you get lucky. Whatever they tell you don't argue or give them your opinion or option. Every person I saw trying to argue with the crew ALWAYS lost and you won't be able to change your mind and get off after lined up on the ferry. I saw a couple in Alaska try this (the wife wanted to stay in the rig with the pets) - it was not pretty, but they deserved the eventual tongue lashing they got. Some people think they deserve more and don't learn about what's required!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote