Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
rckeeton
Established Member

M.O.C. #7669
Mountain Passes-Colorado

We are planning a trip to Colorado. We pull a Montana 2955RL with a Dodge Ram 2500(Diesel). Should I worry about negotiating the passes along Hwy 550 from Durango to Montrose(Coal Bank Hill and Red Mountain) or Hwy 160 from Pagosa Springs to South Fork(Wolf Creek)?
We have pulled the Monty from Alabama to Oregon, Nova Scotia, and to Alaska with no problems. I even towed the thing thru Yosemite(a dumb stunt I shall never repeat). The climbs are no problem. I don't care for those long downhill runs. Any advice would be welcomed.

rckeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
rckeeton,
We have not taken the Monty over Red Mountain, but we have taken a motorhome over it pulling a car. The 2955RL we had previously we took over Wolf Creek several times. I think most of us living here in CO don't really think all that much about the main hwy. passes we take. Any of the passes can be a hazard in the winter and some can be closed.
Wolf Creek will have a long up and down either way you go. There is more of a down slope heading southwest.
Just pay attention and keep things under control and don't ride the brakes and you will not have a problem. Some of the passes 2nd gear is not unreasonable to be in some areas.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
US 160 should be no problem. We stay at a campground between Wolf Creek Pass and South Fork 2-3 weeks each summer. US 160 carries a constant stream of RVs both directions from the smallest to the largest. Traveling from Pagosa Springs toward South Fork will be steeper going up, but not so steep going back down, and vice versa the other direction.
US 550 I would be more concerned about. Been many years since I went that way, and not even towing. But I remember it being pretty steep, winding, narrow, no guard rails, and no shoulders. Go to google maps and look at street view to get an idea of the highway. I think I would have to drive it again not towing before I decided whether to tow over it or not.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Regarding Hwy 550. I agree with BB TX. I would not drive our 5th wheel over it but that is just me.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We took 550 from Durango to Montrose last year in May. It is long and steep but we had no problem, I would do it again.

PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
You should have no problem over Wolf Creek. We pulled our 3075RL with our Dodge Ram 3500 over Wolf Creak Pass and many other equally steep grades without a problem a year ago. We did not take the the road from Durango to Montrose. However, as a child, about 50 years ago, my family drove that road, then and maybe still, referred to as the Million Dollar Hwy. That referred to the cost to build it orginally. It was like a narrow high pass with no guard rail and a steep long straight down drop. Scared the @#%$&^@ out of me. My guess is they have improved is somewhat since then. The section of the road that is tough is between Ouray and Durango via Silverton. However, when we were out there a year or so ago we took the train up to Silverton and there were all kinds of big buses both the tour kinds and the RV types parked in Silverton. Rt. 550 is only way in. Check the Mountain Road Advisory book to get the grades and tight turning radius'. By the way we are heading that way but we plan on going from Montrose over through Gunnison. Good Luck. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Wolf Creek Pass is not a problem, if you keep your wits about you on the downgrades. Take it slow and you'll be fine. It's a modern highway.

Red Mountain Pass is another story. It's steep, twisty, and no guard rails for much of the way. Folks do it all the time, but I'm not one of them. It's truly beautiful up there, but if I were you I'd park the 5er and just use the TV for sightseeing.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
budbon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10005
I also have a 2955RL that I pull with a Dodge 3500. I would not hesitate to go over Red Mountain pass. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate does not mean I would not respect that road. I spent most of my life driving truck and the best advise I can give is just go down the hill slowly. An old trucker adage says "you can go down a hill to slow your whole life ... you go down to fast only once." By the way if you are going from Durango to Montrose, the part with no guard rail is on the other side of the road from you. Enjoy the trip.
budbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Dunno if you have made the trip yet, but I'm down here and just made then trip with the TV, 550 from Durango to Ouray. Reinforced my belief that it would be a bear with the trailer. There is construction on Coal Bank Pass that narrows the road to one lane, and I'm talking NARROW. Better by far to go through Cortez and over Lizard Head, which is a piece of cake, and not too much out of the way.

Good luck!
Gene
Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Dunno if you have made the trip yet, but I'm down here and just made then trip with the TV, 550 from Durango to Ouray. Reinforced my belief that it would be a bear with the trailer. There is construction on Coal Bank Pass that narrows the road to one lane, and I'm talking NARROW. Better by far to go through Cortez and over Lizard Head, which is a piece of cake, and not too much out of the way.

Good luck!
Gene
Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
Wolf Creek pass is beautiful, with plenty of highway to get you over the top and down the other side. Just take your time.
550 from Silverton to Ouray is another story. It is not a designated truck route. There are two tunnels, one marked 13'9" verticle height. Only a 7% grade but the road is very narrow with very little to no shoulder in places. Most of the hairpin turns are 10, 15, and 20 mph and are very tight, with no room to swing wide because of vertical rock walls or vertical dropoffs. Do people drive their RV's over this pass? Yes they do. I'm just not one of them. I have driven my TV over this pass twice and WOW!! what a rush. One of those things everybody should have on their bucket list.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
Just recently camped in Durango and drove 550 empty to Ouray. Durango to Silverton wasn't too bad, I would pull the Monty to Silverton but I would not pull it from Silverton to Ouray. It was tense running empty. 18 wheelers passed me from the other direction so I guess you could get used to it.
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote