Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #21
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
if it is that cold why dont you plug in your block heater at sunset it will make a world of differance and it will be warm and comfortable, sorta like tucking your baby in.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #22
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

What exactly is ”wet stacking” I never heard of it before this thread?
BTW, when it gets into the 30’s or colder I use the block heater and it really makes a difference.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #23
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wet Stacking for all of us that didn't know..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Don. I am new to the diesel and have learned a load from this thread.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

if it is that cold why dont you plug in your block heater at sunset it will make a world of differance and it will be warm and comfortable, sorta like tucking your baby in.
Unfortunately or fortunatly we now live in an apt and no way to plug in my baby. The tradgedies of downsizing for retirement.
herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
I have been reading the manuel, go figuire. Many comments are not to idle to long, I don't think a 5 minute warm up is going to be long as the manuel states to idle the engine 7-10 minutes after running on highway or pulling to cool the engine and turbo.
I will be going to a local Ford dealer with the questions of warm up time in cold temps, low power when cold and what is considered to long of idleing time.
When I get some answers I will report back.
Thank you again for all of your knowledge and experience.

Bill
Old 05-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #27
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I have plugged in the Sierra. It gets plenty warm and purrs when it wakes up. But, the electricity consumed is substantial.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #28
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When I am in cold weather and not plugged in. I do let it warm up about 10 minutes. I have the exhaust break and it does help load the engine and warm it a little faster. I agree less than 10 minutes should be fine especially if it is rattling I would let it warm up and smooth out. Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
I carry a simple AC timer with me - temps get teen,s and lower - if shore power is available - or in the home shop - I give the block heater an hour or so. This keeps the power consumption minimal. When afield - I like to idle a couple of minutes until the temp gauge starts to move up - a little patience goes a long way! I need to nurse all the miles I can from this machine - repair / replacement is prohibitive when you're getting "long in the tooth"!
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #30
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Several things on this topic: First -wet stacking is as mentioned above - the fuel is not all burned and some of it goes out the exhaust. PROBLEM IS: Some of it goes by the piston rings and into the crankcase!! Not good for the engine, oil, or cylinder walls!!

The second thing, and it has to do with the unburned fuel -- and also why we are asked to idle our engines for a few minutes after a hard pull / highway driving -- it allows the engine and turbo / exhaust to cool down. The problem is that diesel engines are, by their very nature, cold blooded. They want, and need, to be worked hard and hot (well, very warm anyway). As you let them idle, they cool down and don't burn the fuel in them as efficiently -- therefore, unburned fuel remains in the cylinder, wetting down the cylinder walls and resulting in damage to the engine / increased blow-by to the crankcase. This is the reason that the trucks have the 'High Idle' feature, to speed up the idle if the engine temperature gets too low. As a final comment on this particular item -- I just made a call to our local GMC, Ford and Dodge dealerships -- spoke to the service manager at each and asked them what amount of time their current diesels should idle - start up or just sitting. One (Ford) said up to 5 minutes, the other two said not more than 3 to 4 minutes unless I wanted to pay for a new Particulate Filter -- by the way, I did tell a little white lie - told them I was looking at purchasing a new 1 ton to pull my 5th wheel and was trying to get smarter on the current year trucks......

I know of no current light truck (meaning our 3/4 and 1 tons) engine that is currently certified for prolonged idling (at least since the 2004.5 models came in) except for some of the Dodge Chassis cabs models and the new 2011 Fords.

Therefore, since the question is on the table, I'd say start up, make sure you have oil pressure, check your mirrors, your pocket(s) to be sure you have your other keys and wallet, Kids and wife (if they are coming) and then pull out easily. When stopping after a long pull, let the truck idle for a few minutes to let the turbo spin down/ cool down some and then shut down.

Oh, one other thing -- as far as spinning goes, the turbo doesn't care what temperature the air (exhaust) is -- just more exhaust makes it spin faster, less exhaust and it spins slower; that is why the new variable vane turbos are becoming the norm -- by altering the vane pattern, they can spin up faster with less exhaust flow; then keep a steady spin rate at higher flows... Now, the turbo does care about the heat when looking at meltdown -- too hot of EGTs will definitely do damage to the metal vanes / components of the turbo.

Off my stump -- and sorry for the long post.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #31
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Stump away, Skypilot. I am learning a ton from this thread.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #32
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Start it and drive off immediately...slowly until it warms up. If you let the engine warm up at idle, no other components on the vehicle are warm.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
Had truck at dealer to check out the low power and long warm up to be able to drive.
They had to reprogram the following
PCM, TCM and the FICM modules. Talked to the deisel tech and he said that the most criticle thing is to change both fuel filters at the recommended 15000 mile intervals, along with normal oil changes.
He suggested to let it run 30 seconds to a minute to let the oil start circulating, if you are to start pulling let it warm up some and take it easy until the engine and tranny are warmed up. Also during cold spells where the oil is thicker and doesn't flow as easily to let it warm up longer to get the oil flowing. He also stated extended ideling is not good for these engines but he didn't say how much ideling is extensive. So far fuel miliage seems to be a little better driving home from the dealer had strong head wind and the milage was 14.5 - 15, soon as the wind stopped miliage
jumped to 16.5 will see tomorrow morning haow it does.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Bill
Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #34
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
Finale notes
Started this morning 45 degrees, smooth and very quiet, (not rattlingand knocking). Let it run for about a minute than took off being easy on it, no smoke and plenty of power. Average mpg 16-17 city and highway.

Thanks again to everyone for your knowledge and ideas

Bill