Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Fulltiming as of 2:00 pm today

Well, at 2:00 pm we go pick up Elly Mae (our Montana) and will be officially full-timing! We are still waiting on the work Visa in order to go to Canada, but we are so excited. As soon as we get the Visa, we are off and on the road to Canada! As soon as we get a picture, we will gladly show off our new baby!
Merry Christmas to us! !

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We're hoping Elle Mae will keep you toasty. Congrats on fulltiming. Happy RVing......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Congrads and Good Luck in Canada. I hope everything works out well.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations! The adventure begins...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Congratulations, be sure to keep a journal. Safe travels...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Good luck and we hope the Monty keeps you warm.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Hey Iceman, congrats. You will have to keep us posted on how your travels are in the far north land.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Army Guy

Hey Iceman, congrats. You will have to keep us posted on how your travels are in the far north land.
Actually he's heading South.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bernie, Congrats on your full timing experience. Did you get your Montana from Craig Simmons? That's where I got mine. What park are you staying in in Anchorage???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Congratulations! I hope you have many safe travels and fun adventures down the road unknown.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Welcome to the club of fulltimers. Good luck in the cold weather, please keep us posted on how well you do in the cold.

We hope you enjoy your new lifestyle as much as we enjoy ours.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Phil & Cathy, yep we got Elly Mae at Simmons. Great deal and ALL OF THE WORK we requested (including $20,000 in additions) were done spot on! Where are we staying? Let me tell you a little story and it's not about a man named Jed. We are staying at the worst campground on God's earth. We are at the Golden Nugget across from the new Costco on Debarr Rd. We came down here a week BEFORE we got Elly Mae to see if they had room for us, insure full hook ups, etc. We were told no problem on all of it. We would only need to heat tape the water rise coming out of the ground to get water. No problem. We get Elly May last Thursday at 2:00 pm. Get to the campground (after the walkthrough at the dealer) at 4:00 pm. For y'all who don't know, it's dark at 4:00 pm in Anchorage in December. Dark like midnight dark. We get registered, set up in the dark and Bernie goes and asks the man to turn on the water. NO. He will not give us water. He says we will not have water until the rig is skirted. What? We were just here days ago and you never said anything about skirting the rig. His response? Well, didn't you look around? Everyone is skirted. Oh, excuse me. Let me reintroduce myself. My name is not everybody else nor is it most people. This guy won't give us water. So, on Friday he says we can break down the rig, hook back up and come to the office and he'll fill us up. So, we get up Friday to get the rig ready to move and find out there is no water in the campground. It is frozen. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. So, as of 6:00 pm Friday night when the office closed there is no water. It is now Tuesday, New Year's Day and we still have no water. The office has been closed since Friday at 6:00 pm. We are waiting desperately for the work Visa so we can get out of this God-forsaken campground. For all y'all coming to Anchorage, please, whatever you do, DO NOT STAY HERE. They do not tell you everything you need to know when you ask them. We are getting ready to ride over to Creekside Inn by Cal Worthington Ford and see if they have full hookups and if we can go there. If so, we will leave here immediately.
Other than the water fiasco, Elly Mae is doing wonderful. We are just about to get everything packed up and finding places for our stuff. The dog and cat have adjusted nicely.
Y'all keep your fingers crossed that we can get the Visa and head south soon.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bernie & Tammy,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your first RV park. I think I know why Phil asked you, he probably had similar problems. Have you looked in Wasilla or Eagle River? You could go ahead and head North if you can't find a place. I know there are several places in Tok, and you have to go through Tok to get anywhere.

There is a nice Sunrise Resorts in Soldotna, but that is in the wrong direction.

Do you have water in your fresh water holding tank?...that might be an option to get you through 'til you get your visas.

The adventure continues, please keep us up to date!!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
PRAISE THE LORD! We have water! We went to the Creekwood Inn RV Park and they had room. We are now camping WITH WATER! In fact, I'm washing clothes! I love it! We do now have water in our fresh water tank. As soon as we got here that's the first thing we did! I highly recommend this park to any of you heading to Anchorage. The office is open 24/7, free coffee, lotion, soap, towels, etc. for their guests. The lady in the office who was here when we checked in got a hug from me! I was so happy. I will be sending a letter to the company that owns that other campground and I expect nothing in return! We are happy now and that's what counts!
We had a nice supper of hams, hoppin' johns and collards! Even washed dishes! Yippy! We will keep y'all posted once we get on the road!
Tammy
Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Glad to hear you found a nice warm and comfortable place. The website for the place looks great for Alaska. We will look into that place next summer when we are there.

You are brave souls, can't imagine moving/setting up in that cold; however the weather man does say that you are having a warm spell, going to get up to 16 degrees today!

The adventure continues!!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:45 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bernie and Tammy, Isn't life just full of adventures? Cathy & I wanted to leave AK in fall of 2006 but didn't sell our house right away. We bought our Montana in Sep 06 and Simmons kept it until May 07. We wanted to stay in Anchorage for a few weeks but opted for the Fam Camp at Ft. Richardson (full hookups as opposed to Elec and h20 at Elmendorf). We then moved to Fairbanks, with a stop at MatSu RV Park near Talkeetna. We wanted to put some road miles on the Montana before we actually left AK. We went to Fairbanks for the miles and to be able to reutrn to Simmons if anything was wrong. Nothing was amiss, they did a good job getting us ready. After three days in Fairbanks we hit the road and have been on it ever since with no let up for the future.

Good luck on your adventures and glad you finally got water. Creekside was our second option if we couldn't get into Ft Richardson. We did look at Golden Nugget and Johns RV Park also. Too bad they closed the Anchorage RV Park off Muldoon, it was nice.

See you on the road someday....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #17
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
Hey Bernie,

I am so happy for you and Tammy. I and I think a lot of others will be following your adventures down the Alcan. I have been doing a lot of research on the Alcan Highway preparing for our trip to Alaska. Since you are pulling the 3650RK (same unit as mine) I am very interested to see how she handles that road. I read a trip log from a couple that did the almost same trip that we are planning. They did it 10 years ago. I think the roadway must have been improved from when they traveled those 1500 miles. I hope you will have the time in your travels to keep a log. Good luck and please be careful. That is a heavy rig to be pulling in winter conditions.
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Once we get on the road I am going to keep a journal and post updates along the way for y'all to follow us! I will start a new thread with Alcan in the title. Hope y'all will enjoy the journey with us!
Tammy