Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
putting skirt on montana

I need a little help with where to attach the skirt at the front of the rig. Can I put the skirt around the front fiberglass or should it be put underneath where the front cap is attach? The instructions are no help in that regard. I am not too thrilled with the idea of attaching to the fiberglass where there is no backing.

Charlotte & Leon

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are going to purchase one of those skirts. C. W sells them in various sizes.We are hoping to find one a little less expensive in Quartzsite. There are many F.W's that have the skirts here in this C.G and they all require screwing a attachment into the fiberglass of the camper to attach the skirt. We have had many days of high winds and they have all held firm.. I think that is the best way to go... It attaches around the front cap and the ones we saw on montana's covered back to the Propane doors. We will use it to keep "stuff" out of sight and other folks have said that it helps in keeping the front bedroom warmer???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Thanks richfaa, After I wrote this I talked to a person that said that was the only way to do it.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
We tried the velcro skirt and ended up replacing the velcro with the metal swivel type snaps (got at a marine supply store).
The velcro was useless in the wind and we have been having WIND.
The metal thing-a-bobs are working very well.

We didn't want to attach either but had to.

We put across the front just outside (to the front of) the hitch so the hitch doesn't have to stick out the allowed adjustable hole and be in the weather. For the sides we put the screws and swivels in the groove that the plastic gasket is in (under the overhang) and cut the plastic to fit back around them - it is working.
And We do think the bedroom is warmer.
We also opened the head of the bed up and tucked in some insulation and that has really helped the bed feel warmer.

If anyone would like photo's send me an email.
Laura (aka Rocky2)

Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Laura,
I'd like to see how that looks, I'll pm you with our email address. I like the idea of the bedroom being warmer, but what about when the wind kicks up? Do you hear the cover blowing in the wind?

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:51 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Even if the front shirt does some flapping in windy conditions it will only be part of all the flapping that goes on anyway if you have the slide toppers.Just another flap among many.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
rono
Established Member

M.O.C. #6606
Rocky2, how did you open up the head of the bed? Putting insulation in there sounds like a GOOD idea.
Ron
rono is offline   Reply With Quote