Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
day night shades

My large shade by the dining table has broken. Specifically, the top of the day shade portion has slide 3 inches or so out of the track it rides in beneath the metal stip under the night shade. There seems to be a plastic piece running in the metal strip - the plastic piece is bent under the pressure of the 3 inch sideways slippage. My owner's manual seems to have nothing in it about the shades.

My question is: can this be repaired at home? Second uqestion, is there any web reference to instructions and help?

Thanks for your help. On the road in Vermont...
Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Gene,

This happened to us this past weekend. I had to remove the tie down at the bottom of the window to get the tension loose enough to work with the shade. Once you do that, you should be able to slide that plastic back into the frame.

There is also a plastic end cap that secures that shade to the shade frame. Make sure that plastic cap is back on or you will be taking it apart again soon to do the same thing.

The plastic tie down looks like a tread spool. The screw is a square head so you will need special bits to remove it.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Tom

Tom & Nancy
TV: 2005 Silverado HD-2500 Crew-cab Duramax/Allison

5er: 2005 2955rl

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
We have had the same problem on our 2006 - never had it on the 2003 2955RL. It is worse on the wider shade over the dining room table. By lifting up on the lower end of the shade, I have been able to get the white shade to slide back into the track. Sometimes I have to work the plastic back in a bit and maybe wiggle down on the raised end of the shade. The only solution we have found is to grasp each end of the shade when raising and raise it gently.

Jim & Terry Crockett
2006 Montana 3295RK
2003 Chev 2500 HD Duramax/Allison SB EC
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
rvivey
Established Member

M.O.C. #5060
I think most of us have had a similar experience. I have solved the problem by drilling a small hole and putting a small screw through the end caps of the shade. I put the screws through the bar where the day and night shade connect. This will prevent the cap from sliding out. I learned this trick from Bill and Helen.

Mickey and Patti
Montana 3475RL
Ford F350 DRW
rvivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The screw works. So does a single spot of glue on the cap as you put it back in place. That cap falling out was what caused ours to come out of the track. I'd suggest securing the caps on both sides of both the middle bar and the bottom one. We've had problems with both.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks to all. yes, my end cap is missing. Will have to get another from our dealer. I will try the home remedy today. Thanks again.
Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote