Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Broken entry door lock....

We are house sitting a friends house in NY while they visit family down state over Father's Day weekend. First time we have slept in a stick house since October 2003.
Anyway, yesterday Lorraine went out to get something out of the Monty. There was a bit of wind and the door closed behind her. After she found what she went out for she found that the door latch was broken and she was locked in. She tried for the next half hour to attract my attention. Even used her remote to set off the horn in the TV. Being that I was taking a nap I didn't hear a thing until the neighbor started pounding on the kitchen door.
I immediately went out and from the outside was able to open the door. Don't know why the neighbor couldn't have done that and left me in dream land. Anyway I found that the inside latch had broken making it nearly impossible to get the door open.

The "T" shaped piece above broke off. This is the piece that moves the latch back to open the door.

A quick to a local RV dealer parts store and 36 bucks later the lock has been relpaced.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I guess we need to develop an emergency plan to get out of the bathroom and/or trailer when the locks fail....maybe this would be good to keep Betty from shopping?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Wow, I keep thinking that I would like to hear Lorraine's side of this story. Especially the story line from when "She tried for the next half hour to attract my attention."
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those door lock mechanisms haven't changed in years and sooner or later they will break. During a really cold snap, like -15 degrees a couple of years ago I went out to check on the TT along side the house and the lock broke when I opened it.I think it was the low temp..I have seen them break when the door was locked and the camper thought it was open and pulled on it too hard and it broke just as your picture indicates. At the fall rally I am going to that RV salvage yard and pick up a spare..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Sorry that the timing was as it was....could have saved you $36...

Same identical thing happened to us about a month ago, when I tried to open the door, except it broke off in my hand. Happened about midnight, dog walk time. Nancy, Scooter and I were all inside. I was able to remove small broken part . Then I was able to get a screw driver blade into the opening to slide the latch backwards so as to be able to open the door. Took the inside plate off and removed the pivot pin and the other broken part for even easier access to the latch with the screwdriver blade.

Next morning, called Keystone, and they got me the # for the manufacturer. The mfg sent me a replacemnt inside plate and latch, UPS, no charge. I had to use a screwdriver to exit the vehicle for 4 days, but did save $36!! BTW, the closest place that ave even MIGHT have had a replacement assembly was 90 miles away, and it was $45, and I couldn't be sure it was correct unless I drove there.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

Sorry that the timing was as it was....could have saved you $36...

Same identical thing happened to us about a month ago, when I tried to open the door, except it broke off in my hand. Happened about midnight, dog walk time. Nancy, Scooter and I were all inside. I was able to remove small broken part . Then I was able to get a screw driver blade into the opening to slide the latch backwards so as to be able to open the door. Took the inside plate off and removed the pivot pin and the other broken part for even easier access to the latch with the screwdriver blade.

Next morning, called Keystone, and they got me the # for the manufacturer. The mfg sent me a replacemnt inside plate and latch, UPS, no charge. I had to use a screwdriver to exit the vehicle for 4 days, but did save $36!! BTW, the closest place that ave even MIGHT have had a replacement assembly was 90 miles away, and it was $45, and I couldn't be sure it was correct unless I drove there.
I just might call them anyway. There's nothing like having a spare laying around.

Through all of this I did realize it is important to have a multi-tipped screwdriver in the kitchen drawer. There are 4 Phillips screws to remove the plate and than the mechanism is exposed for easy opening.

Coincidentally, after Carol was having her problems with the water closest door I dismantled the door knob mechanisim to find a fine metal dust like. The mechanism had never been lubricated and it was metal rubbing against metal. I lubricated it and put it back together. I am amazed how hard it used to work compared to after I lubricated it.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
The mfg is:

Fastec Industrial Corporation
23348 CR 6
Elkhart, IN

Don't have the ph #, but I'm sure local Elkhart info will have it. You will probably talk to a lady named "Flip" (or, maybe "Deb" if "Flip" is doing other stuff). Both ladies went above and beyond to help us out when we were in Santa Fe and ours broke.

Just explain your problem to her, and she will probably send you a replacement inside plate assembly.

Best regards,
Old 06-20-2006, 02:23 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks PJ,

Here's the phone numbers as well...

Fastec Industrial Corporation
23348 County Road 6
Elkhart, IN 46514
Telephone: (574) 266-0101
Fax: (574) 266-0123

Will give them a call as soon as I have an address where I will be for more than a couple days.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Betty got locked in once but I never could figure out the problem. It never occurred again and I could find no broken parts. What a hazzard that could be it there was a fire or emergency.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 AM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Don't forget...you always have those window emergency escape latches......nerver actually tried them out....maybe I should....anyone actually operate one of them?? Does the window actually come out of the frame, or is it hinged someway?? Difficult to reinstall??

Thanks for any info re that issue.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

Don't forget...you always have those window emergency escape latches......nerver actually tried them out....maybe I should....anyone actually operate one of them?? Does the window actually come out of the frame, or is it hinged someway?? Difficult to reinstall??

Thanks for any info re that issue.
PJ,

There was a thread about a year ago on the subject of escaping out the bedroom window. I just had to try it out. I got a little scraped up on the window frame but it's do-able, especially if the rig is on fire.
Our 3400RL's window is hinged at the top.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
"Pot Metal" is often breaking.

Too bad it's used in so many places where wear and tear can create problems. Much of the A&E Systems awnings have that junk right where the most strain is incurred.

I wouldn't want to have to use the emergency escape in the bedroom. I might live through straining my large body through that opening. But I'm guessing the fall to the ground would be fatal!

I might survive exiting through the other window above the desk. But that's still about six feet up from the ground.

Yow!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is better than 9 feet from the bedroom window to the ground in the 3400 but better than being cindered.We are ordering one of these escape ladders.. http://resculite.com/Merchant2/merch...egory_Code=ELA
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote