Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
More layoffs in Elkhart, In

Here is a news report from our local station

Link to report short link edited by rbs

ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
That is not good news! Looks like things will get a bit worse before they start getting better. Let us all hope that the "better" starts sooner rather than later.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
OK, I'm really sick now. May the powers that be get our Montana fixed and returned to us before that old story we kept hearing, "Keystone hasn't sent the parts to us," becomes a reality rather than a fabrication repeated to us over and over to explain why our rig has been at the dealer's service department since July 24th. (Keystone not only had the parts but had sent them to the dealer in a timely manner.)

OK, I'm with you, HamRad. I'm ready for things to start getting better.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
OH NO! I wonder who's making our new Big Sky??

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
The article doesn’t mention which part of Keystone is consolidating and downsizing but it does mention the facility in Howe. I wonder which one that is. I guess this just shows how the effects of the economy are hitting everywhere.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Man, that is not good news! I would have thought with all the rv shows on the go that sales might pick up enough to avoid this situation for these two companies at least until late summer or fall, buuuut. Another 600 families added to those who won't be purchasing anything but the essentials.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone had already consolidated some of its plants. They were building the Montana, Mountaineer and Big Sky all on the Montana line as we saw at the fall rally. The former big sky plant had already been closed. They were also building something more than the Cougar at the cougar plant. I don't know what they build in Howe but you can see that plant along the turnpike some distance from Goshen. Jayco also had laid off workers according to the vendors at the fall rally. The Rv sales numbers according to the RVIA numbers are staggering. If I recall right Thor, The parent company of many RV companies including Keystone was only showing a increase in their commercial bus division.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I tried to do my part in helping them out in November by buying a new unit. Guess it was kind of inevitable, given the forecast of no improvement in the dismal RV market recovery forecasts. Some of them expect some measure of improvement by Q3 2009. But I think they are being overly optimistic and that a true recovery is at least 6 quarters away, ....that is totally dependent on if the general economy is getting to be close to recovery by then.

Hopefully, Thor can weather the storm without too much carnage among all of their divisions and dealer network by making the right business decisions. But then you see stuff like this this! >>>
http://www.rvinews.com/News/tabid/16...hen-Adams.aspx
I watched similar antics from the corporate structure of the company that I used to work for ....right before they closed our business unit, sold the assets, and laid a bunch of us off last September. Still looking for work.

Until things improve, I'm doing my best to be a good consumer, but it is very difficult trying to keep the dollars in the local and US economy.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The above is a very good web site and is now in my favorites. Thanks for the link.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
A person at Lazy Days told Delaine about Thor loaning the money to CW. Also Lazy Days is having a serious cash flow. Its going to get tuff so we decided we will keep our 5th wheel instead of going into a MH. As big as Thor is they aren't going to stand by and keep going into the tank every month. They will cut and run at the first chance, to them its only money. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I have been dealing with a man there in regrds to repairs for my unit...today I get an email that he is no longer employed there....I hope my repairs didnt go out the door with him..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Thor announced that its 2nd quarter sales dropped 62 percent. Keystone RV Co. in Goshen, Indiana informed 350 workers Monday that they will be laid off in April. Jayco Inc. in nearby Middlebury, told more than 250 workers that they will be out of work in two weeks. And out West in Oregon, it looks now like Wells Fargo Bank is about to repossess assets from Country Coach to repay it for an unpaid $8 million loan. Wells Fargo and Country Coach both agree that the privately held RV maker is in default. Country Coach is in such dire straits that it is reportedly unable to pay even its electric bill; employees, fearing the worst, have been emptying their lockers.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote