Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Grey Tank leaking

Had the grey tank repaired today. It was leaking at the bottom end on dr side. It had been repaired before. Since we bought it new and had never had the pan off it came from the factory that way. I never complain on here about the problems I've had with this but it will be my last Montana. The workmanship on this thing stinks. I took some pictures of the plumbing under the belly and the hoses look like they were for a 36ft model. Just coil them up and let them hang. Okay rant over.

ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Coming from Ron who never complains it is significant. What is even more significant is that Ron was the first MOC member we ever met and his Montana the first Montana we ever saw. Had we not met him and saw his Montana we no doubt would not have one so his opinion carries a lot of weight with us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

... Had we not met him and saw his Montana we no doubt would not have one ...
So Rich the only question is are you glad you met Ron or not?
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, where are the pictures? I looked on your blog but didn't find them. Maybe I just missed them?

Are you saying it was patched before it was delivered new? I would think if your dealer will confirm that to Keystone you should talk to them about replacing that tank. Gratis.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ron,
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Last September, we repaired our grey tank, had a bottom-end driver-side of the tank leak. After getting the belly pan off and lots of close inspection, we found that the factory had done a patch, and that very patch was leaking.

As a Keystone consumer, we paid for new equipment, not repaired, and certainly not leaking. Who is to blame?....probably me, I didn't take the belly pan off and inspect the tanks.

There was absolutely no quality control done on our tanks at Keystone. If quality control had seen the disgraceful fix done, these tanks would have been rejected. They eventually failed, I paid.

Please, no one comment that this is the "norm in the RV trade"....I'm personally sick of that excuse and disgusted that we as an influential group (MOC) continue to accept shoddy workmanship, lack of schematics, a bill of materials that reflects the appliances listed in the unit with their serial numbers, and that we put up with an indifference to our safety requests such as secure wiring so we don't have wires rubbing on sharp objects.....just not that deep to understand...not rocket science and not expensive.

...or maybe you can look at the bottom line on that bill-of-sale and ask yourself....how wisely did I spend my money? Each of us has to answer that very question just like you did.

Bang for my buck, I'll probably buy another Montana......and that my friend, is the end of my story.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Quote:
quote:Please, no one comment that this is the "norm in the RV trade"....I'm personally sick of that excuse and disgusted that we as an influential group (MOC) continue to accept shoddy workmanship, lack of schematics, a bill of materials that reflects the appliances listed in the unit with their serial numbers, and that we put up with an indifference to our safety requests such as secure wiring so we don't have wires rubbing on sharp objects.....just not that deep to understand...not rocket science and not expensive.
Robbie, right on and i can't agree more. Well said, buy you a cold one for that one day.....

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Go to the blog and click on any picture link. That will take you to my web site with pictures I only took one picture The dealer did not repair the tank. We are in a state park in Gulf Shores so got somedown here to do it.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ron is a good guy. Although I report near every little thing as gone wrong with the 3400 in the hope that it will give a heads up to others we are OK with the Montana. Don't think any other brand(that we could afford) would have been any better.
Believe it or not in the five years been touring the plant(05 to 2009) they have come along way in correcting issues brought to their attention. There is a long, long way to go. The dealer that replaced our black tank said it was flawed from the factory..(tank vendor that is) Keystone quality control?????? did not catch it. Extended warranty paid the bill.

There is certainly no excuse for some of the obvious shoddy workmanship in all brand RV's. But we compare these things with our stick homes and there is no comparison. A RV can"tbe built using stick home materials, 2x4/2/8/2x10,dry wall. Home style cabinetry, etc. Think of what it would weigh. IMO they do a acceptable job for the " average RV user"
If they would only spend a little more time on quality checking it would be far better product.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote