Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2005, 03:24 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
New Owner Question

Going to pick up the new 2955RL in a week! Still can't belive it, what surprises me the most the wife and I have experience NO buyers remorse!

Couple questions. How may many batteries are standard on the Montana?
How many do most people have on board?

Does a Montana have any battery disconect switches or do you just unhook the battery for storage?

How soon after you get a new unit do you start to do the routine maintenance like lubrication of slide seals etc?

Boy I have a lot to learn, thanks for your help!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
RKassl,
Welcome to the MOC! We have the 2980RL which is the same length as yours, but a different kitchen. Typically, dealers put in just one 12V battery, but you can get whatever you want. Our preference is to use 2 6V golf cart batteries in series. The Montana doesn't come with a cut-off switch, but again, you can have the dealer install or do it yourself. We have a marine-type switch that the dealer installed, but if I were to do it again, I'd use the simple "knife-type" switche that Camping World sells and install myself.

That's a great combo you have there, Montana & Duramax, enjoy the adventure!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:02 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
RKass
Make sure you get the list of options that comes with your tailer it will look like one that you might see on a car then make sure that you got what you were promised and what you paid for. I have owned 4 trailers and had to ask for the list on every one.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:33 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Use two 12V deep cycle batteries in parallel volts stay the same More Amps No disconnect switch as the camper is pluged in year round.Don't know were you store it but I would take the batteries home with me..they are easy to steal.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I see your in Wisconsin. If you don't have the trailer plugged in during the winter make sure you take the batteries out and charge them about once a month. Or they will freeze.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Your routine maintenance question should have been "When do you start making modifications?" Answer : As soon as you get it !!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All of us feel like we made the right choice about batteries or we would have made a different choice. That said, I am using the twin 6-volt golf cart battery option. I made the transition myself and installed the cutoff switch. If you are willing to do it, it isn't that difficult to just remove one of the wires when storing. Mine were held on with wing nuts. It is never too early to start a maintenance protocol and schedule. Lubrication and cleaning the mechanisms are your best longevity allies on an RV of any brand. Half the fun is in the learning.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
RKassl,

Your Batt. question usually gets answered by the question, "What will you be using it for?" We used to have two Batts. when we dry camped but now we never do. So for us one does the job. Ours gets used when we use our TT's tongue jack and putting slides out when we take a lunch break and thats about it.

If you havn't done so yet, do a search for PDI, it's a pre delivery inspection sheet. It's of great use when you pick up your Rig.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I bought my 2980RL in March 05. I wanted two batteries and that was part of the agreement. When I picked it up the dealer said they upgraded the one battery to the next capacity level.
I agreed to it, but I think it was a mistake. Two batteries are recommended if you are planning to do a lot of boon docking, state park camping or extended RVing. I am new at this so would suggest you listen to experience.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome and congratulations on the new Montana.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote