Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Chevy 8.1 gasser milage update

Howdy, all! A few weeks back, a thread diverted to the subject of milage from the Chevy 8.1 gasser. At the time, we had only measured our milage empty (11 mpg, truck and two passengers in combination city/hwy traffic). We towed the Mountaineer about two hundred miles this weekend (GCVW 17,360 after filling up with gas-- we stopped at the scale at the truck stop). Glad (?) to report that we got 7 mpg fully loaded. We figured 7 mpg full is pretty good compared to 11 mpg empty. I'm feeling better about my 7 mpg after reading the new thread on diesel prices.......

Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:17 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I ain't no mathamation (Heck, I can't even spell it) but if you're getting 7 and 11 mpg with your gasser and I get 13 and 21 mpg with my diesel which is near double your mpg and you pay $1.75 a gallon and I pay $2.03 per gallon to my way of thinking the diesel gets the best mpg for the buck. You would have to fill your gasser twice to go the same distance as I on one tank.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:05 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I agree Glenn... Just don't take into consideration the price we had to pay for our diesel. It doesn't count does it.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:24 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Bill, I was very fortunate to find a used '03 with just 8600 miles on it. It had been leased and the leasee lost his job and had to turn it in. Being it was used and the selling dealer in Ogdensburg was a personal friend I paid less than what most folks were paying for brand new gassers.

Sometimes you just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

BTW-The truck came out of Kingston, Ont.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
No question that the diesel milage is gonna win, hands down! However, we only put about 10K miles a year on the truck AND saved about $4K over the Duramax (we ordered the truck since no one had an Allison and 4.10 rear end on the lot). We firmly believe that we'll go to a Duramax in the next truck if we find that we start piling up the milage or find ourselves driving in mountainous terrain. With short hauls and the flat terrain of the Gulf Coast, we couldn't be happier with the overall cost of the gasser!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:23 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Someone on one of these forums did a very thorough mathematical comparison between an F-250 V-10 and a PSD. It was a deciding factor in my purchase of a used V-10 rather than a new PSD. He considered things like the additional costs of oil filters, fuel prices (at that point in time), mpg, new vehicle cost, etc. Bottom line (at that time)was sure you get better mileage and sure who wouldn't want a brand new TV but the breakeven point (V-10 $$$ = PSD $$$) was 110k miles !! Good enough for me - especially since I bought both a used PU and a used TT for what either one would have cost me new !!

Now the BIG fuel economy issue is (as I found out the hard way), the tires and their tread pattern. I lost 4 mpg. in the time it took to have them installed !!! I put on BFG All Terrain tires and as soon as I did I thought I had BIG problems. I thought I had bad plugs, wires, sensors, computer, something very expensive and BAD !! Then I happened to ask someone if their's affected the mileage - yep !! But I bet I can pull that TT off road if I want to (as long as I can afford the gas)!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Pete,
If you're happy with what your truck is doing..... then you can't ask for more. If it pulls and stops the way you want it to and handles like you want.... then don't worry about the mileage thing..... Heck if we were worried about mileage we'd all be driving 4 bangers and staying in motels! I don't think any of us want to do that.... not after having these great Montanas to live in! Enjoy what you got.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Hi Pete,
If you're happy with what your truck is doing..... then you can't ask for more. If it pulls and stops the way you want it to and handles like you want.... then don't worry about the mileage thing..... Heck if we were worried about mileage we'd all be driving 4 bangers and staying in motels! I don't think any of us want to do that.... not after having these great Montanas to live in! Enjoy what you got.

HamRad
HamRad, Well said I agree
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Yeah, we love our big 'ol gasser, but I'd bet a dollar to a donut that we'll have a deisel at some point. Gotta love America....somethin' for everyone....and Chevy dealers stay open until 9pm for that impulse truck buy!!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pete, how many miles on your 8.1 now? I'd bet it's not fully broken in yet and mileage will improve some.

As for diesel or gas, one thing the equations usually forget is the diesel is going to get back most or all of that premium at tradein time so the only real savings related to the premium price is the loss in appreciation of that money, assuming the market doesn't go the other way.

When we had a stick home the Ford V10 was the best choice for us. The nearest diesel station was 3 miles the wrong way and was a busy truck stop. The gasser made sense for us. Now the diesel makes sense for us. So I think this is a decision based on your own needs and your own preferences. Each has its tradeoffs, each has its advantages. Neither is a bad choice. Kind of like which brand of truck. Once again, just an opinion. I think Dennis said it very well.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We have been unpowered twice before and I didn't want that to happen again. Our TT grosses out at 9500 lbs and our 8.1 liter is rated to tow 15,000 so we have lots of extra! I actually get better gas mileage that I did with my last rig. (a smaller TT and a 1/2 ton 350) We have traveled long trips, short trips and around town. Our current gas mileage is avg 13-15 solo and 8-10 towing. For the price difference between the 8.1 and the Durmax, I could buy LOTS of gas. We're very happy with our gasser.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:03 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just got A F350 V-10 Ford..So far 13.7 Empty with 8 hours on the motor.I am sure that we will get a diesel in a couple of years or so when we will be doing what a diesel is good at..My criteria for a diesel is.... Do we drive a min of 30,000
Miles a year. Do we pull heavy loads on steep grades on a regular basis, will we keep the truck for a min of 5 years. If the answer is yes the diesel is the best choice..Our answer was No to all three.When Wife retires in two years we will see.In addition this is a tow vehicle only no everyday use. I figure we may do 15,000 miles over the next two years maybe.. We all get our equipment for different reasons and use it in different ways so whatever you got it was the right choice for the right reasons./
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:46 AM   #13
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We drive a 1999 CK 3500 with the Vortec 454 Chevy. I can tell you it cost's (today)$63 to fill up. When towing I get between 7 and 9 mpg depending on driving speed (68 mph 7.5 to 8 mpg, 70/75 mph - 7mpg, and 65 mph 8.5 to 9 mpg) and between 11 and 14 when not towing. I have added true dual exhaust (2 seperate pipes, 2 sperate cat converters, 2 mufflers), a high volumn cold air intake, throttle body spacer and a chip programmer. The difference in how the truck runs is as different as night and day from when i drove it off the lot.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

We have considered going diesel but probably not for a whle. I have 115K miles on the beast and hope to get 200k before I even start looking (within the year).
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:10 AM   #14
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We have a similar plan to Rich and Helen's. We'll probably move to diesel once the annual milage increases. Glad to see Steve and Sharon are getting pretty good milage from their big block!!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #15
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
I chose used gas over diesel because it was an extra 10-20% initial cost
it all comes down to miles per year. For me, at about 10K miles a year on my yukon (towing)
its not worth getting the diesel. if your driving lots of miles, go for the diesel. the only downside of the 8.1L is that I have to add a quart of oil every thousand miles.
Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:32 AM   #16
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
We thought about getting a diesel last year when we were looking at a new TV. I was told not to get a diesel yet wait to you start towing more. So far we are getting about 9 mpg towing the truck is a year old and only has 7000 miles on it so a diesel would not have been a good idea
jayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:48 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My opinion is that gas vs diesel is like nearly every other decision in life: it depends. You have to weigh the pros and cons and that means more than just mileage, initial cost, maintenance costs, longevity, ratings, etc. It also means how well does it work for your lifestyle? And how about your personal preferences? Are you turned off (or on) by diesel clatter? Is this your daily driver to work and an occasional workhorse? Is there a diesel station nearby? Plus the questions Richfaa posed above. However it all adds up for you is the right choice for you.

When we were stick-homers, the gas V10 was the best choice for us. As fulltimers putting about 40,000 miles per year on the truck, I'm convinced the diesel is best for us. For the next guy down the road, also a fulltimer, the gasser might be best.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote