Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
kenandbrenda

M.O.C. #17970
Need to remove broken Dometic power awning

I have a Dometic 9100 power awning. During a windstorm, the arm on the left side broke. Awning is extended but now hanging down on the left side. It is going to take a few days for mobile service to get out to put up a new one. In the meantime I would like to take the current one down. I know the awning is under tension so I don’t want to do something dangerous. Unable to find a good how to article on the web. Any help or suggestions? Thanks

kenandbrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Since I don't know how banged up the arm is ... you might just read thru this PDF on page 8. You'll have to get a strap like used on the old manual awnings (RV dealer) to keep tension on the roller once you loosen the set screws. It just slips in the lengthwise grove in the tube.
https://liferebooted.net/life-reboot...g%20Manual.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
You can remove the awning tube by removing the screws up by the drum on each end, then pull the drum off the arm. Be careful as the spring is wound up and the one end will spin possibly.
The other option is to fold it up and strap it to the mounting brackets with long zip ties.

Mark
Mark
Old 05-08-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
kenandbrenda

M.O.C. #17970
Thanks for the replies. Definitely too damaged to roll up. Mark. If I remove the awning tube how do I insure it doesn’t sp8n from the tension? Thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
You’d have to cut the fabric off the carrier, to put it up with zip ties. It won’t hurt anything if it spins. Only the very end will spin.

Mark
Old 05-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
There should be a hole on the spring side to put in a pine so that the spring doesn't go wiled on you had to do that on one of my SOB years ago.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 HC HM352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4

Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
We recently had the same issue but with both arms, I believe ours was a 9100 as well. With the help of other people in our campsite that had awning damage as well I removed the tube first in the upright position, minimum tension, and let it unroll to the ground. I then removed the set screw opposite of the door and we slid it out from the roof slot for the fabric and rolled it up by hand until new arms were ordered, 3 man job, 1 on the roof, 2 on the ground. The techs that reinstalled it pre wound the spring tension before remounting it to the new arms and then rechecked it in stowed position.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
kenandbrenda

M.O.C. #17970
Thanks for all the great info everyone.