Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2004, 05:04 AM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
The Perfect Pasty

In another thread, I recommended someone stop for a pasty as an activity while visiting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Vickster asked me about Carol’s and my search for the best pasty. This is dangerous territory because pasties are a lot like pizza, beer, religion and politics. There will be many opinions. Additionally, to a true Yooper, pasty preference opinions are probably stronger than any of the other things I mentioned. At one time, American Airlines onboard magazine even had an article titled “in Search of the Perfect Pasty”.

With that background, I’m going out on a limb and answer Vickster’s question. IN MY OPINION, (the capitals are because even Carol may not agree with me) the best pasties we’ve had are from Grama T’s in Negaunee. A close second in Muldoon’s on the west edge of Munising. (There’s a scenic overlook about a mile west of Muldoon’s where you can eat your pasty while you look out at Lake Superior and Grand Island; a neat experience on a cool September day.)

Anyone else, particularly any Yoopers, want to weigh in? Carol and I will be continuing our pasty search right after the Bridge Walk. We’ll also take any campground recommendations.

Gordon

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:02 AM   #2
Montana_462
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #462
OK....I'll ask...what is a "pasty"? Also, how about a "Yooper"?
Montana_462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Sorry... A pasty is a Cornish meat pie brought to the northern Midwest by Cornish iron and copper miners in the 1800s. They remain a local food, primarily in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There are pasty shops all over the U.P. Some chain shops and some “mom ‘n pop" shops. You can even buy them via the Internet and have them shipped to you. I’d try to explain more but you can see a lot at www.pasty.com. A person who lives in the U.P. is a U.P.er or a “Yooper.”

Gordon
Old 07-27-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
Montana_462
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #462
lol....thanks...sounds good!!!
Montana_462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
All this time and I didnt know, I have been eating pasty for 50 years made by my grandmother and passed down to my wife my grandmother was from utah and grandfather worked in the copper mines in isbimming ut (SP) when i was little in california had no idea really the history but boy do I like to eat them, they are still my favorite food. thanks for the info and the link
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Gordon - As a young child, I have fond memories of my mom's pastys. My mother was born in Calumet, MI during the time her family worked in the local mines. It is nice to finally know the origin of these delicacies. This thread has spurted my interest in urging hubby to make a trip to the U.P. if nothing else to relive a childhood memory. Thanks for your post.

P.S. Think I would like a treat from Muldoons and savor every bite at the scenic Lake Superior overlook with an ice cold Miller.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Glad to stir up some good memories.

Bob – This is the first time I’ve heard of pasties outside the Lake Superior region. I obviously have to do some more research and possibly expand my search for the perfect pasty.

Vic - The Keweenaw is very high on our list of neat places. We spend a couple weeks in the U.P. every year. We lived in the Soo when we were first married. AND I was right, Carol likes the ones we order from the web site the best (although they are a bit expensive). If you visit the web site I mentioned above, you’ll find it’s run by some folks in Calumet. There’s also a link to the bridge cam on the lift bridge between Houghton and Hancock. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the site. We’re going to try to find them when we go up after the bridge walk. I haven’t been able to find a street address for their shop yet.

If anyone else has any recommendations for a pasty stop, let us know!

Gordon

PS - Almost forgot... ditto on the Miller.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:01 AM   #8
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GordonR

Sorry... A pasty is a Cornish meat pie brought to the northern Midwest by Cornish iron and copper miners in the 1800s. They remain a local food, primarily in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There are pasty shops all over the U.P.
Gordon
Wow.. this brings back memories. My aunts lived in Mousehole, Penzance in western Cornwall and I can still remember sitting on the shop stoop eating pasties at the age of 5. I didn't realize that these were eaten here in the states.. http://www.kernowcottages.co.uk/mousehole/
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:18 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We have a local church here in MN that will make authentic pasties for you once a year. MMMMM! They are so yummy and you can get them with and w/out rhutabaga but that makes them so good. MMMM! My husband used to be a Yooper, he coached football at the University of Michigan... GO WILDCATS! He'd like to move back there but you guys get way too much snow for me and it's brrr... too cold too.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:21 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I was talking to my wife last night (yes I still do that) and told her about the pasty's,she informed me that they were diffrent my grandmother was Swedish and dainish and they were made diffrent without vegys only meat onions and potatoes and seasonings, so simular but maby not the same.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #11
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Bob & Lee.... those sound alot like the PIROSHKI (Small Russian Meat Pies) that my grandmother used to make.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #12
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
My wife, Pat, sez...
"My mother was born and raised in Ironwood, MI, youngest of nine, whose father worked in the mines. A proud Yooper, Anabelle Helegda (nee Pehovic) made the best pasty ever to be consumed by humans."
Sorry to say they are no longer available.
Pasty enjoyment is just one of many good things about the U.P.
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:04 AM   #13
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Of course we missed this delectable thread while we were gone but just had to add our 2 cents. Pasty--one of the best tasting goodies on the face of the earth, comes in many flavors including meat and potatoes w/ or w/out onions and other veggies, also in various fruit varieties most especially berries. The miners loved them because they were portable and easy to eat even when your hands were dirty. Think that we had only had UP meat varieties until we lived in UK and were introduced to the yummy fruit varieties. (Be sure to pronounce with the "A" as in "AT" not as in "ATE". This could get some strange looks from conservative pasty sellers otherwise) And that brings me to living in the UK. Weekends were our time to explore--and while in the West Country we could always depend on finding a good pasty in a local bakery for our lunch. Gvons thank you so much for the mention of Mousehole (pronounced Mowzul for those who are interested), one of our most favorite places in all the UK, AND thanks for the link to Star Haze. Did you stay there or is it a family link? Though we love our Montana, returning to the UK for a month every other year is a must. Hoping that we will get out to Cornwall again our next visit--though the Outer Hebrides beckon as well. Here's to a good pasty.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote