Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Montana security camera & Home system

cdaniels asked about a home system, so here is some info.
I also installed a camera and powerful infra-red spotlight on the front of the Montana, so we can see the blind-spot up front.
(Did you know pollen shows up under infra-red light?) We thought it was snow one time, but it was 50 degrees..
Front camera:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/TVSecurityCamera?authuser=0&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20111207InfraRedSpotlight?authuser=0&feat=directli nk

Home system
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/HomeSecuritySystem?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Nice that you can get a pollen count before going out Thanks for the info!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Technically I've got 4 systems. 3 at the house and 1 here in the RV. I found a real deal on the 2 4cam systems at home, couldn't afford an 8 camera system at the time. At home, we have 2 4 camera systems and 1 stand alone PTZ IP camera. Here is what I monitor here in the Montana in the RGV in South Texas, 1000 miles from home. The 3rd and 4th pics are my moveable PTZ camera. I moved it around to the driveway in the 4th pic and can zoom on anything if needed.

And this is my monitor here in the Montana

Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
When you drilled into the front, weren't you worried about what was behind the cover? My luck, I would hit the wiring to some lights or something!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Hey OZZ, tell me about that infra-red spotlight and where did you get it? As you can see in the upper left picture in the RV that camera has a lot of shrubbery in it and I need more light to see my truck and boat at night. That white building sure washes out things at certain times of the day, but that's what you get with CMOS cameras.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

When you drilled into the front, weren't you worried about what was behind the cover? My luck, I would hit the wiring to some lights or something!!!
I am a gambler.. I also figured if I drilled into wiring, I could fix it.
Logic had it that there wouldn't be anything within 2" of the drill bit.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Hey OZZ, tell me about that infra-red spotlight and where did you get it? As you can see in the upper left picture in the RV that camera has a lot of shrubbery in it and I need more light to see my truck and boat at night. That white building sure washes out things at certain times of the day, but that's what you get with CMOS cameras.
I don't remember where I bought it, I popped the lid on a can of Beer and started surfing, but here is a place:
http://www.magnalight.com/p-47335-Infrared-LED-Light-Emitter--40-LEDs--120-Watts--850-or-940-NM--1300'L-X-180'W-Spot-Beam--942V.aspx
At home, I just got flouresnt floods, I want the public to see they are lit up. On the Montana, I don't want to light up the area to the eye.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Price: $988.05 Have you lost your mind???? You must think I got money or something. I was thinking more like $50. I found this, http://www.spyville.com/104-led-invi...luminator.html

Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Price: $988.05 Have you lost your mind???? You must think I got money or something. I was thinking more like $50. I found this, http://www.spyville.com/104-led-invi...luminator.html

Ha! Yes, I have lost my mind, and no I didn't get that one.. I think I have the one you found, or a like unit.
Yikes! That $988 model must start your car also..
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have mixed feelings about monitoring something when I'm away. If you are traveling, then you see something at the remote location you are montoring, then what?! You can't call 911 to send someone miles away or can you, and I'd be reluctant to "send a friendly neighbor" just in case something bad happens - I'd feel HORRIBLE, much less responsible.

Now rigging remote controlled weaponry (or a spray cannon) to a camera, now we're talking.

Oh, I'm supposed to call the neighbor and have them call 911. Okay, okay, I may be dumb, but I'm slow.

Ozz, any ideas?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Art,
In my case, and I am sure this is common with many folks, the cameras are part of the security system I have, we have intrusion, fire, panic and 24-7 monitoring. We have contingency plans for most things that would come up.
It's nice to just click on the link and be able to see any or all of the 8 different cameras in and around the house, real time.
Everyone has a different idea of what security is needed or wanted, I bought, installed and set up mine up myself. The recorder is secure in a place that would be hard for someone to access...real hard
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Hi Art,
In my case, and I am sure this is common with many folks, the cameras are part of the security system I have, we have intrusion, fire, panic and 24-7 monitoring. We have contingency plans for most things that would come up.
It's nice to just click on the link and be able to see any or all of the 8 different cameras in and around the house, real time.
Everyone has a different idea of what security is needed or wanted, I bought, installed and set up mine up myself. The recorder is secure in a place that would be hard for someone to access...real hard
Almost my response word for word.