Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Another Level-Up Problem?

Hooked up yesterday after yet another great camping trip. Everything was going fine until after I got to the point where I hit the "auto retract button" (actually hit enter after selecting auto-retract) on the Level-Up system. It would not do anything, no clicking no nothing. I then had to retract all 6 legs "manually" using the retract button after selecting front and rear on the keypad. Not sure what the deal was, but have not tried it again yet. The auto level worked fine after I got home and got unhooked. Just seeing if anyone else has had this issue yet. -Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
I also have had that happen on occasion, I wonder if I lifted the front landing legs too much, because the next time it was fine. I had trouble with the autolevel when I was not hooked up acted up a couple of times but has worked fine since, so not sure why.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here at the service center when I hit auto level the frontjacks went all the way to the bottom of their travel and nothing else happened. I had to do a manual level. They never did that before, the service tech here explained to me why they will do that from time to time but I had no clue as to what he was talking about.I will ask Lippert at the rally. We did a power off, power on and all was normal???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I mentioned having heard about some of these problems when I got mine installed. The Tech said that like all computers you can hit the right combination of buttons or sometimes just on it's own the computer will have problems. Because of that they put an extra fuse in mine so I don't have to fight to get at the red plug. I can just open the fuse box to reset the computer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I too have had that issue from time to time, and I do think it has to do with function where you hit the Right and Left buttons at the same time to return the front end back to the height where you disconnected from the TV. There's no problem when you disconnect as the back jacks aren't down, but once you level, if you're on a little slope with front end high, the front comes down a long way to level, thus to get back to hook-up height it has to raise a long way putting a lot of extra pressure on the rear jacks. That's my guess anyway.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks for the input all. I had not hit any other buttons and did not even try the left/right button return to the unhitching height because I have never had any luck with that working very well. I simply had manually raised the front to get close to what I thought was the unhitch height (I always then get the truck close and adjust as necessary). I might have put some extra pressure on the back legs when I raised the front, but the site was fairly level and I did not have to go up that much at all. I guess computers will just be computers now and then... I will just hope it works the next time and I still really like having the Level Up System. Overall a great system to add to the trailer and frees up some time for me to do other things instead of playing around trying to level left to right by driving up on blocks and such.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I have BigBoot, but the controller looks like they are made by same company. If I go into manual mode at anytime, since auto level, the Auto Reconnect (raise rear legs and lift front to connect position) function will generate a error, and won't perform the command.

I have also found on a hill (front downhill), retract will stop with error message, before I get low enough to connect the truck. I have found if I use the remote it will lower to the point I need to connect. Other options is to select Emergency Retract (which re tracks all at once).

I have also found that when lowering feet to disconnect, if you press the up button both front feet go down, but if you press the right or left, just the right front or left front will go down. This is handy when front feet are not on level ground. Once disconnected just select the Auto Level function.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks John, some good "tricks" there. -Glenn
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Those 'glitches' kinds take the fun out of the automation. I would think they would throw a couple of engineers at the problem and come up with a solution. Maybe if we kick up enough dust, they will do something.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Good point Ozz, lets raise some heck!

Hope you're doing well my friend. -Glenn