Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Colorado Vacation Camping?

Hey, all you Colorado MOC'ers. My cousin wants to plan a family camping trip to Colorado and asked for some good spots. She would like to be near a lake or river, and be able to do some hiking. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
There are so many possibilities, it's hard to know where to begin.

I will mention only one possibility. The Arkansas River runs through the towns of Buena Vista and Salida. The Buena Vista KOA has a lot to recommend it. I have hiked right out of the KOA campground over Midland Hill which is not only hiking but rock scrambling as I did not follow a trail so much as make one. There is a trail coming up from the river in town. There are many river guiding companies in the area. Another fine campground, about five miles north of town, is the Arrowhead Point RV Campground.

The Collegiate Mountains on the western horizon above Buena Vista include Mt. Princeton, Mt. Yale, and Mt. Harvard, all "fourteeners". There are many hiking and climbing trails in the area.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
TheJeep
Established Member

M.O.C. #10968
We are not from Colorado but we have made the trip out west 2 times from PA. Our two great places to visit are Rocky Mountain National Park (we stayed in Estes Park). The other is The Great Sand Dunes National Monument (we stayed in a KOA just south of the park). Both great places. The hiking in Rocky Mountain NP is great. Lots of Elk and other wildlife.

TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I can tell you that Colorado is a mecca for camping. We consider ourselves very lucky to live here. I would suggest almost any of our state parks as well as national forest sites. Specifically Mueller State Park, White Star National Forest site, Junction Creek National Forest site, South Meadows National Forest site, Cheyenne Mountain State Park (just to name a few). South Meadows National Forest site has a nice paved bike path that parallels Rte 67 that you can access directly from the campground. Colorado Rocky Mountain high (altitude). Enjoy!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We have stayed at Arrowhead as well. Clean restrooms and well maintained. Close to Buena Vista. Say Hi to Kathy and Joe if you stay there. Nice folks!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Another fine campground, about five miles north of town, is the Arrowhead Point RV Campground.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks! I'll pass this info on.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
What do you locals say about Chatfield SP?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We really enjoy Chatfield. It is right on the edge of the city, but quiet. The sites are large, the park has lots of space for walking, biking, fishing, flying model planes. Each loop has wifi. The restrooms are clean. Botanical Gardens arboretum is right across the road and hiking is available up the canyon across the road, as well.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Agreed! Another one near Denver is Cherry Creek State Park. FHU and Wi-Fi, all paved roads and pads. Beautiful reservoir with beaches. I suggest reservations.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John and Carol

We really enjoy Chatfield. It is right on the edge of the city, but quiet. The sites are large, the park has lots of space for walking, biking, fishing, flying model planes. Each loop has wifi. The restrooms are clean. Botanical Gardens arboretum is right across the road and hiking is available up the canyon across the road, as well.