Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Water Pressure Regulator problem

Hope this does not happen to any of you.

For general knowledge,
A fellow camper called me this past weekend to tell me that he has had two brand new water pressure regulators stop flowing water completely. He happened to have two new units and both units stopped working within a few hours after install. No water comes out at all. He ask me if I had any suggestions.

I quickly researched the issue on another general RV website and found a new post describing the exact problem. Apparently the Camco (sp) brand regulator, which my friend has, is having problems. Supposedly the Manuf. knows about the problem and is correcting it.

My friend was in the shower when water flow just suddenly stopped.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use a conventional regulator found at Lowes or Home Depot. TheCamco's and others like it are unreliable at best. They only provide 45 psi and that just doesn't get it. Over two years I purchase the one pictured below, set the outlet pressure at 57 psi and, when available, have had plenty of water and absolutely no problems with the 57 psi.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Regulators such as Glenn's work much better. Not only can you adjust the pressure but they flow much more water than the typical Rv regulator.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
So what does Keystone or anyone else recommend as a max setting and a recommended setting for the Montana's plumbing system?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

So what does Keystone or anyone else recommend as a max setting and a recommended setting for the Montana's plumbing system?
Good question......
Less presure would be more safe to prevent leaks but then not what were use to. The wife needs lots of pressure to wash her hair.
40-45 lbs is near a minumum for our use.
BTW, those small 1/2" white RV trailer water hoses seem to be a water restrictor for me.

I am not aware of a recomended maximum water pressure for the Montana or any RV for that matter.

Maybe someone has the answer......
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I was told by my dealer they checked for leaks at 80 PSI. I do not know if that is standard or not.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Interesting question, Our dealer said 45 psi, I hope to find something other than that in these answers. I would like about 55-60, but like others, I sure dont need any broken pipes.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I was told that the plubing was good for 80#s. The regulators should be set at 40-45#s. That all seems kind of funny because the CW dishwasher calls for 60-64#s to work. Has anybody called and asked the mfg?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I run our pressure at 60psi where the pressure is high enough to provide that. I've used that setting for almost 6 years with no problems. I had heard that the RV manufacturers test the water system at 100+ psi but that is just hearsay. I know they test them much higher than 40 psi and then tell you to set your water pressure at a max of 40 psi. This way they know the plumbing will handle it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
We're also led to believe that the bathroom door handles, 1/2 time ovens, home theater systems, and miscellaneous screws-under-carpet/vinyl flooring in the floor are all "just fine."

If we can sustain livability at 40 PSI, I'm OK with the pressure.

Even if Kimmrg, who likes long high-pressure showers, would prefer 60 PSI.

I witnessed a Kountry Star blow its input hose when connected to this RV park's sometime-high pressure water line without a regulator. She, luckily, only had a minor leak, right at the input, and nothing saturated the fiver or its basement.

But I'm guessing that the folks who connect without a regulator will be the first to complain about the "lousy plumbing" in the Monty, if they were to come home after a day’s outing and face a flood.

I’m hearing from several sources that a 40-PSI regulator is what is needed. I’ll go with that admonishment. Call it “insurance.”

I hope that a "word to the wise" is sufficient.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had one similar to Glenn's and found 57 psi a very good setting. Any more than that and a toilet flush would shoot the water outside the bowl. The problem I had was the regulator getting limed up, or whatever it is. After I disassembled and cleaned it it never really worked right again. Couldn't have been an operator problem, could it?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote