Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Vent in W/D closet

What is that vent in the ceiling of the W/D closet of the 3400 supposed to do. It looks like it may be a A/C vent but zero is coming out of it..Would you believe I just noticed the vent after over a Month. Could it be that we have discoved our 1st major problem in our brand new 3400??

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

Funny you should mention that right now. (We just installed a freezer in that compartment, and I suspected/hoped that the heat from it might be “chimneyed out” of that vent.)

I don’t believe it goes anywhere. Above our 3475, (above the Entry-W/D closet, and behind the bathroom’s fuse/circuit-breaker panel,) that’s the area our converter is located. And I think, (though it’s been a while,) when I replaced the inverter, I saw the top of that vent grill…With nothing connected to it.

Because it’s also a W/D closet, pre-plumbed and all, it could just be the initial way of getting a dryer’s vent to the outside wall?

Shot in the dark, there.

It may also just be a way for smelly coats to air themselves out a bit better than if they were simply confined to the closet space, alone.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 3400 is the same configuration as yours..It gets hot in there.It is in the 90's today with Hi humidity and I opened that closet and heat poured out of it.We use it as a pantry and I thought well I am going to have to put a fan in there and that's when I noticed the foof vent or maybe ..the vent to nowhere.I've got some muffin fans in my pieces and parts department so a noth project is in the works////
Old 06-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Rich,

I believe that vents to the Montana's attic then out to atmosphere through the attic vents on the roof.
Adding a muffin fan would be likened to adding a whole house fan to the stick house.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I was told that vent is for the fuse panel that is in the wall behind the washer/dryer closet. As Rich said, it gets really warm in there and the vent is to help the heat escape, keeping that wall cool will keep your fuse panel cool. That is the story I got, who knows if its true or not....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The statements by kwbosh and Montana Sky make sense...Good information..so we did not find our first 3400 problem.In fact we found a good thing.I dug out a muffin fan about the size of that vent.I sort of figured that it had to vent into the attic..so I will rig the fan to that vent so as to draw the heat out of the closet into the attic and outside..That should help a lot.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I should have paid more attention to what was up there while replacing the converter. When I saw the open space, I was thinking of cutting a door opening above the closet, just to have another place to stuff stuff.

I don't recall whether I could see the rafters, or not. But the idea of it helping air out the attic is a smart one. Humidity is a problem in RVs. Even mentioned on the Monty FAQ.

I hope any added heat from our freezer doesn't cause problems with the circuit breakers or fuses. I'm guessing the A/C breaker's getting a lot of current flow these days. (Man, am I ever sick of almost 100 degrees!)
Steve
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is nothing attached to the vent..It vents directly into the attic.No doubt meant to keep things cooler up there as looks like every wire in the camper converges there(rear of the converter) There should have been a exhaust fan there.. so here is what I did..Existing vent cover.. Fan from parts box, creative fitting.That is a Computer cooling fan, very quiet and sucks up a newspaper..

Old 06-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa
That is a Computer cooling fan, very quiet and sucks up a newspaper..
Heck!

If THAT was the plan, you could have put the New York Times up in that hole. It exudes vacuum, already!

Really, though. That's a great idea. Before we sold our brick & stick home, I had a big squirrel cage fan that used to blow air through computer equipment rack bays. I held onto that thing for twenty years, with nowhere to put it to use.

Had I installed it in the ceiling of the W/D closet, it could have sucked up the throw rugs from in here! A real central vacuum system!

Maybe even blew up the rubber roof like a balloon!

Steve
Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I talked to Keystone techs about this vent when we were installing our washer/dryer. It is indeed to vent the heat from the converter and fuse panel. Montana Sky had it right! A+ Dave.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
the vent you talk about is for the units that have the converter installed above it in that compartment. if the circuit breaker panel is in bathroom or the hall way high up on that side that is why it is there. I know because I had to replace my converter.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Rich it does not vent into attic that vent is to exhaust the hot air from the converter.

The converter set right beside that vent with the converters fan right next to the vent.

I know I have been in there. Talk about a nightmare take a look back of the fuse panel. I had to do mayor clean up off all that excess wiring they just balled up in there right on top of the converter. believe that is why my converter went out. (one great big electro magnet siting on top of the converter). When you look in there be warned you will have couple hours of work. tying rerouting and such.

Ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:14 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keham..You are correct.I took a closer look.It goes up 20 inches which is the level of the ceiling.The exhaust theory baffles me.Hot air rises but it has nowhere to go as there does not appear to be a outlet, as you say, to the attic..so my theory is it collects then vents out through the vent to the W/D closet..that is why it is so hot in there and it is a solid door so most of the heat is trapped in the closet.. Try this remove that dummy vent put a thermometer up in that hole om a average warm day..you will be very surprised at what you read.. Now if that vented into the attic it would make sense. That area needs some ventilation and cooling..may put some holes in the ceiling to allow venting??????Yes it is a rats nest in there Can not believe they coiled up all the wire around the converter..been in there over a hour cleaning up..
Old 06-23-2006, 04:00 AM   #14
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Just a thought on using a fan to blow into your attic on the Monty.
It may be blowing cooler air into the attic which will cause condensation, especially when you are using the AC.
Like I said just a thought.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:04 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Got a call into Keystone.Spoke to Denny and explained my concerns with heat in the closet and proper ventilation.He did not have all the answers but said he would find out and get back to me..They are doing inventory at Keystone so things may be slow.

Ok..here is the story,,Got the call back from Denny at Keystone..They went out on the line and looked at a 3400 being built. The vent in the closet ceiling IS to provide some venting for the Converter..My question was does that space above the closet ceiling vent into the attic because I can not see that is does... well it DOES vent into the attic which would make sense..the vent path is just in a area were we can't see it..My guess is that if we pulled the converter out (which we won't) we would see the path to the attic.I said that my plan was to install a small fan in the vent sucking air OUT of the closet space.. They Said that I could either have my dealer do that or do it myself. I am going to do that..I think it is a good idea as it really hot in that closet and even hotter up around the converter. I do note the comment about perhaps extra moisture going up there but then that is what the attic venting is for// however , point well taken. We will monitor. that area for condensation....
Old 06-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
We have the louvered doors on that closet. I notice you said yours was solid. I wonder why they changed to the solid. The louvered ones would let air circulate. Our closet is not hot.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The louvered doors would also make sense and help in the venting..Of course it would vent the hot air into the camper and cause the A/C to work harder, Etc..It would seem that the object is to get the heat away from the converter area..The converter has a fan and it blows the hot air into a space that is vented ..into a closet??? and the closet is vented...nowhere.. execpt maybe into the camper. That did not make sense that is why I called Keystone amd asked the question.. Now it does make sense to have that space above the closet venting to the attic and it does make sense to have that vent in the closet ceiling (airflow) and it would make sense to have louvered doors(to aid in the airflow) Oh well..My solution to prevent a heat problem with the converter down the road is to install the fan...I'm having fun re-engineering the Montana///
Old 07-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was (am) working in that space in the bathroom wall where the converter and wiring comes into the breaker box, the holes in the ceiling where wire feeds from, and into, is right next to the roof. I imagine it really gets hot up there. The vent may add some cooling, but heat rises, and the small fan is a good idea, as it will force the hot air into the ceiling cavity, where, I believe there are roof vents that let the extremely hot roof air out.
I shall immediately steal that idea! Thanks for thinking of it.
Jim
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote