Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
King Pin Stabilizer

I have a question and who better to ask than my best 5ver friends! I've had a homemade stabilizer I've used on my fifth wheels for 12 plus years but it's a little short, in some cases for my Monty. I got this mail from CW a week or so ago advertising a new aluminum stabilizer that seemed like it would be just perfect. Of course CW is high so I found it some place else for $112. but I had a couple questions that neither dealer could answer and finally tracked down the mfg. They make this one in the link as well as the heaver steel one that CW carries as well, the steel one is less money but it weighs twice as much 18 pounds compared with 40. The mfg gave me some information though that was helpful but I wanted to ask the experts here. The steel stabilizer will handle up to 1800 pounds and the aluminum one will only handle 800.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...filiateid=1485

My question is this..... you're not really supporting the whole weight on the pin, just enough to take the wiggle out of the unit. I would think the aluminum one will still be sufficient but I wondered what everyone here thought. The main thing is I will get one of them, because I think the difference in using one and not is night and day. I just like the weight factor of the aluminum unit.

Ok, jump in and tell me what I've missed about the weight issue.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have that one from camper world and I would not want one any heaver.It never entered my mind that it could be used to support the camper..just to stabilize it..It is called a king pin stabilizer..not a camper holder upper.. C.W had them on sale for 99.00(presidents club) a couple of weeks ago... The padlock is a joke..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I think you may have a new product idea. "Camper Holder Upper". Wonder what the President's Club price would be...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rich,

That was my thoughts exactly, I'm mean I'm not going to use it like jacks on my old cabover camper. Geez! You got the aluminum one then? I missed the sale. Good thing CW didn't think of calling it a "holder upper" I'm sure that Dave is right, it would have cost you DOUBLE!

mac
Old 05-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
I have a different brand, but also have an aluminum one. I just snug it up against the base of the kingpin and let it be. It also helps protect your head against striking the kingpin while parked. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have an older aluminum style one as well. I have always put it up snug then raise the landing gear for one second to add a little more weight to the stabilizer. It works great and would not look at steel if it was twice the weight.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have the older steel model.If the aluminum was offered I would have went that route.They both do the same thing.And yes that pad lock is just about worthless.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
What lock? I looked at the stabilizer from Camping world and I have not seen a lock.
Or are you talking about a king pin lock that goes around the king pin?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dusty,
Some brands of stabilizer's have a "small" padlock that goes into the "cup". It will not allow a person to pull the stabilizer off of the kingpin while set up at camp. As many have already said, it is a small and pretty weak padlock, a screw driver will break it open. I use mine to keep the honest folks honest.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

I've seen the complaints about the locks but doesn't this just have two slots cut in it that you can use a regualar padlock? My old homemade unit has that and I just run a regular Master padlock through that slot. Am I missing something?

mac
Old 05-31-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Good idea Mac

Whew! I thought you all were talking about the locking thing that goes on the king pin. Thought we would have to go and buy something else! Glad that wasn't the lock.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
You are right on, it is just 2 holes drilled into the "cup", the problem is there is not much room for anything but that tiny pad lock that comes with it. It is worthless, but better than nothing.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Just an FYI,

BAL Chocks on sale at Camping World!

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...09&tab=reviews

HTH,

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:03 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, need 'em... got 'em! Thanks, Ken! Where do I send the commission check?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #15
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Mac,

You didn’t say how your aluminum stabilizer’s made.

If it’s anything like the heavy one, is there a chance that you can have a local metal shop cut and attach a piece of round stock to extend the top piece of the aluminum one? (While welding aluminum is probably out of the question, it might be riveted or even bolted.)

And do the legs of the aluminum one adjust in much the way the heavy ones do? If so, can an extension pieces be added to them, instead?

I haul the heavy one around. Only used it for a little while, even though it does do its job. But it gets in the way of our wooden family name sign that I like to hang from the pin box. (Neither's shown in the photo.)

Also, if you think it'd stop a determined thief, CW carries two locks that might work http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...+lock&x=19&y=8 The first looks to be more to the point, (might have to round out the holes on your stabilizer for it,) while the second wastes that piece of tube, (but shows how holes might be reformed.)

For maximum stability, I added a couple of slide-out stabilizers, placed against the frame by the doorstep, and by the waste outlet, to keep the frame and suspension from allowing much motion. When they’re snug, they do a better job that the king pin stabilizer, alone.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

My old current unit is made of angle iron and is not aluminum. The first trip we ever went on with our first 5ver someone came through the campground and was selling them for $25 dollars. He told anyone interested that they could use it that night and if they liked it and thought it was worth it could sent him a check. Must have been the good old days when I think about it. Anyway, it's been just a little short for the Monty on a couple occassions so I thought if I was going to switch I should think about the weight. I'll let you know if I get it.

mac
Old 06-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Mac,

D’Oh! Now that you said it, I see I blurred the original words together and ended up thinking you had an old aluminum one.

I have the heavy one, and find I’ve had to move the braces a couple of times, depending on the ground we’re camped on. That proves to be a hassle. And it’s another reason I haven’t used it much.

Of course, if it was the aluminum one, it might feel easier to heft around while changing brace points.

Anyway, would the “fixes” I mentioned work with your old one, and avoid the investment all together? I mean, as long as it does its job….

Steve
Old 06-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #18
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

I'm thinking I'm just going to hold onto it for now anyway, because I don't have an extra $100 or so burning a hole in my pocket. I'm thinking the aluminum one might be easier to handle so when I decide to get a new one I think I'll go that route. In the meantime I might see if your suggestions will help. Thanks.

mac
Old 06-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #19
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Mac,

I think your decision sounds solid. The one you have works some of the time, at least. Plus, the cost is high for the new one. But if you do go for a new one, I'd say you're right do it with the aluminum.

Meanwhile, not knowing just how your existing one looks, I hope you can either get maybe bolt-on extensions for the legs, or a length of pipe for the pin end.

The "Scottish" in me always seems to come out when considering either "making do," or buying new.

Steve