Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Sewer Drain Cap

I doubt if I am the first for this but will post it any way. My sewer drain cap to the best of my knowledge doesn't have anything to keep it on the drain pipe except a couple of lugs. I am looking at that and thinking what happens if I fail to put the cap back on tight or it works loose bouncing down the highway causing all kinds of wrecks from people trying to dodge this object. So I got a drill - very small - just big enough hole to get a doubled fishing line through and drilled a hole in one of the tabs. I put the fishing line (doubled) though the hole and secured with a squeeze on lead weight then ran the other end through the bracket holding the drain pipe. That way when I remove to drain the black tank and gray tank or it comes loose in travels - I won't loose it. It will be caught like a fish on my line.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Phill & Gladys,
Sounds like a great idea to solve a problem before one starts. I must admit that my sewer cap is very snug once put on for transport. There are days I have a heck of a time getting that baby off. I hope you do not have any surprises one day and find your cap hanging on the fishing line.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Good fix - the caps are supposed to have a connector as shown here but mine is not connected either. I need to do what you did - it's now on my list !
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Mine came with a rubber strap so if it comes off it won't get lost. Ever unit I have owned has had that strap. Sounds like yours was missing from the factory.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
No, now missing, we didn't have one either. I thought at the time that I remembered a strap always being on our drain. Must have been a cheaper model that Keystone went with for awhile. I just got back from buying a Pro Reverse Flush thingy. I figure that thing should do just about everything but empty the tanks. Looks pretty major to me...
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ours also has a strap if it ever came off. Right now it fits snug and I doubt if it will come off. We did add a new valve trap at the opening to catch any draining still in the pipes after we dumped the tanks. That has helped a lot. No more mess when you open the cap. The existing cap fit onto the new valve trap snug. It was purchased at Campers World for less than $20.00.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote