Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Marter

M.O.C. #13559
Battery dead !!

We just bought a 2013 Montana with a battery cut off switch or in this case a plastic key that you turn to off when you don't want the battery to get a draw. My question is should this also disable the landing gear and stabilizers? My battery keeps drawing down even with the switch turned to off. Nothing inside the camper works even the LP gas detector is off so I am making an guess that the control box is still powering up to get power to jack system. It is quite a draw as when I connect the battery I get a pretty good spark. anyone have any ideas?

Marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bad battery? Dealers install the batteries after the rigs are sold. Who knows how old or good this battery was sitting in their shop. I've sparked a battery at 10 volts and that's considered dead so to me that's not a reliable test unless the battery is completely dead. I think the most accurate way to tell if a battery is good is to measure with a VOM. The subtle readings of a VOM can indicate so much more and you're gonna need one to trace any issues.

The disconnect is still supposed to allow landing gear, slideouts and brakes to operate. I don't know about the stabilizers. What kind of time period are you talking for the drawing down?

Whatever it is, this seems like a warranty issue and you don't wanna delay things too much. Get it back to the dealer for analysis. That is, if you bought it from a dealer and have a warranty.

BTW - your sig shows a 6.2 liter in your 250 Ford. For diesel, I'm only familiar with 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7. Is that a gasser? I don't know engine sizes for a gasser.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Marter

M.O.C. #13559
Yes I did use a VOM and when I tested was below 1 volt. I charged up and when reconnected to trailer with Battery switch off it had a pretty heavy spark and the VOM told me there was a draw. I am going to bring back to dealer as only 3 weeks old. Thanks for your input. Would anyone have a picture of the two breakers in there Montana as there is a jumper from one to the other that I don't remember on my Everest.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If your rig has a remote control, there is a circuit board (usually in the battery compartment) that stays energized and drawing power unless the battery is disconnected completely. I also thought the the propane and co monitors stayed energized even with the disconnect in the convenience center engaged. I installed a battery cutoff switch at the battery so i could completely turn off the battery when it is in storage. I would not think it is a problem with the battery.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Marter

M.O.C. #13559
Thanks to all we really love the new unit but has had some small issues that are more of a pain in the you no what more than anything. We are making an appointment with dealer for other itiams and we will have them check out. Than you all.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I noticed that the plastic battery cut off switch did not cut off the landing gear or the slides on my rig. It isolated everything else. To truly isolate the battery(s), they must be disconnected.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That battery cutoff does not cut off everything that draws from the battery. Others have found this out the hard way, coming back after winter to a dead battery.

I'm not positive what all still draws but I was thinking the LP detector is one. You said yours is off. Does yours have a separate off switch? If not, are you really sure it's off?

The landing gear may still draw from the battery but I wouldn't think it would draw anything at all until the switch is depressed.

My guess is you still have a parasitic draw somewhere despite the cutoff switch.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Yes, I think a draw from a light that is not evident in daylight like the floods or even the porch light. Only 1 light bulb can draw down a battery over an extended period of time. I have stored my Monty for over 6 months with the battery disconnect switch in the disconnect position. Both of my batteries were fine. Having 2 batteries also helps.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmm call me stupid but is not the whole purpose of a battery disconnect switch is to cutoff the battery, another words no power should pass thru that switch. Otherwise it is not a disconnect switch, but just a piece of junk. But the good news it the wires should already be terminated so it should be easy to yank that thing out and go buy a real disconnect switch. Just thinking, since I haven't seen one yet.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As stated above, on ours the disconnect switch doesn't disconnect the landing gear or the slide motor and the remote for them will work. I'm pretty sure none of the lights work, however.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I agree the disconnect switch should disconnect all 12V, but it doesn't. If I just turn off the disconnect my battery will run down in about a week. I have installed a real disconnect switch next to battery. It is a knife switch sold at Camping for this purpose.
My prior 3 Sunnybrook 5th wheels did the same thing.
With the disconnect switch in disconnect position a spark drawn when battery is disconnected tells you there is current.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
With your battery Switch off Disconnect Positive terminal connect AMP Meter One probe to Positive Term the other probe to Positive wire if you are getting an AMP reading start pulling DC Fuses this will tell you at least what circuit that is drawing AMP's
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote