Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Easyrider Air Hitch (again)

I've had two (only) very positive responses about this expensive hitch. When I consider what I spend on the truck and the 5er, a couple of thousand extra doesn't seem like a bad investment to preserve the integrity of the two main vehicles.

Are people out there having any problems with truck/trailer damage from bouncing around, or troubled by towing "jerky 5ers". Because I've never owned one before, I don't know what to believe, but I just bought a 2000 Monty 3255, and have to buy a hitch for my Ford 350 Crew PSD Lariat (long box). Wow, what a description! I left out Automatic, 2002, 7.3 litre.

Please advise as to what I should do. Go with a Reese 16K like most, or????

Jhadley

Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J, we've towed this Montana 20k to 25k miles and had no damage to truck or trailer from the hitch. Nor on the prior three fivers. I think the biggest advantage of the air hitch is probably the better ride.

On certain concrete highways, notably interstates, we get some of the jerking as do most people. We mostly avoid interstates anyhow so we're not in that situation enough to really bother us nor to justify the expense of an air hitch. If we did more interstates I'd certainly consider it. That sounds like I'm against the air hitches. Not so. Just don't see a need for our particular situation. Many other folks have a different situation and for them it's a good thing to have.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[quote]Originally posted by sreigle

J, we've towed this Montana 20k to 25k miles and had no damage to truck or trailer from the hitch. Nor on the prior three fivers. I think the biggest advantage of the air hitch is probably the better ride.

On certain concrete highways, notably interstates, we get some of the jerking as do most people. We mostly avoid interstates anyhow so we're not in that situation enough to really bother us nor to justify the expense of an air hitch. If we did more interstates I'd certainly consider it. That sounds like I'm against the air hitches. Not so. Just don't see a need for our particular situation. Many other folks have a different situation and for them it's a good thing to have.

Thanks again Steve,

I've changed my mind so many times that I'm feeling like a politician under the gun. Your signature doesn't indicate the hitch you use, but I'm considering a Reese 16K if I don't go for the Reese + air hitch. What do you think? Thanks again so much for your continuing input (I don't know how you find the time or interest).

Jack
Old 11-09-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[Steve,

My signature is wrong, -- now a Ford (2002) 350 PSD Auto Lariat Crew, long box with a 2000 Monty 3255 and God knows what hitch???, to be picked up when we can.

J
Old 11-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J, there are several very good hitch choices. The Reese 16k is one of them, in my opinion. Ours is the Reese 15k. They came out with the 16k shortly after we bought ours. Ours is the shortbox so we use the Kwik-Slide with it. I like your choice in trucks, too!

Old 11-10-2004, 07:30 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I think a lot depends on how much you travel. If You are full time and travel all the time. The AirRide Hitch might be best. If your travel is only part time. Then you can probably get away with a regular hitch. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:51 AM   #7
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
One advantage the air hitch has over the air pin box is the fact that You can take the investment with You when You change trucks or trailers. The pin box is specific to the trailer (relatively) so it stays with the trailer or You keep the old pin box and hope the air one will fit Your next trailer.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:57 AM   #8
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
The responses that you have gotten are both good. We also use the reese hitch (20K) and have no problem with it, trailer, or the truck (F350 Diesel) WE did add air bags under the rear of the truck (camping World) and that soften up the ride and bounce you get with a 5th wheel on the interstates that are still concrete. The hitch is an overkill and was purchaed used with a previous RV. The 16K would be the next one we get when we change trucks.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Ken - why would you need to buy another hitch when changing trucks? Why not simply put a new set of rails in the new truck and continue using the hitch you've already paid for?

BTW, if you'd like to soften your ride a bit more (and are willing to part with the coins) EasyRider will sell you just the air suspension unit so that you can "upgrade" your hitch.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You don't really need new rails, just possibly new frame brackets if the old ones are not salvageable. Our current hitch is in it's third truck.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:52 AM   #11
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[quote]Originally posted by sreigle

You don't really need new rails, just possibly new frame brackets if the old ones are not salvageable. Our current hitch is in it's third truck.

Alright folks,

I'm more or less decided to get a 16K Reese or Husky, and if I think the unit is suffering, I'll retro-fit the air hitch. Now, does anyone think there's a difference between the Reese16 and the Husky 16? The local dealers all promote the Husky (better volume discounts??).

Help please.

Jack and Penny

Old 11-12-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jack, I posted a reply in the new thread (which was a good idea since more folks will see the topic that way).