Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
But I will still remember

Today or yesterday, the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association disbanded. Too few of the old men left to carry on. But I still remember. I was born in 1940. I remember troops marching down the street in front of the Church as my parents and I were just coming out of church services. I was four or five years old. I remember folks talking about the war. I remember ration stamps for certain foods. I remember Uncles who fought and all came home, all dead now, but lived to be old men. One retired as a bird Colonel, another as a Master Sgt. One flew 25 missions in a B17, another was a navigator on one.

There is a sadness that those who remember what WWII was about seem to be passing and the purpose and meaning seem to get lost to a younger generation. Most are gone now and there are not many who really remember left either. As long as I breath, I still remember.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Very Well Said Stiles it is so sad to be losing these great folks!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
My great grandfather lost his leg at Gettysburg. My grandfather was near at hand and was able to put hot iron on it and save his life. My father served in Germany WW2. My fathers brother served in WW2 in Navy. My older brother served during Korea. I served in VN. I have two sons serving now, one in A'stan 82nd Div. and tours in Iraq and Korea. The other has 5 tours in A'stan, Special Forces. I'm with you sir, I will never forget the price of freedom, especially those that paid the ultimate price. Too bad they are leaving us so fast, and too bad so many don't even notice. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I was born a couple years after Pearl Harbor. But remember growing up in the 40's and 50's. My father tried to enlist and couldn't pass the physical. His brothers all served in various wars. One uncle served in war with Germany. He had a new wife in MO. He was stationed in Spokane Washington. He sent for his wife. She went on the train all way to Washington state. No one was there to meet her. No cell phones those days. A cab driver noticed her waiting all night so he took her to the base. She found out my uncle had been shipped to San Diego where they were shipped over seas. She went to work on base as hair dresser until he came back. He and his company were all injured. They then were sent to VA hospital in San Diego. My red headed aunt when to the commanding officer on base in Spokane and ask him if he could get the men transferred there to a perfectly good VA hospital so they could be near their families. The bass commander pretty much told her to mind her own business. She went home and wrote a letter to President Truman. She put on outside of the letter from "one Missourian to another" he answered her! In two weeks the men were transferred to Washington state. The commander sent a car for her and told her to bring her letter from Truman. She walked into his office. He read her letter and she asks to read his... he got a letter too. He was chewed out royally. Truman told him he should have had the men transferred to Washington state!.
When my uncle got to the hospital in Spokane, the commanding officer came to see him. He told him.....
"Please keep that red headed wife of yours away from me!"
My cousin has the letter from Truman, framed and hanging on his wall.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
This is why they are called "The Greatest Generation".
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow! What a memory! I'm lucky if I can remember yesterday. I was born in late '42 and can remember a few stray memories back to age 4 or 5 or thereabouts. It is interesting to hear about other folks memories. It is fascinating what we recall and what we forget.

Of course I'll never forget the attack on Pearl Harbor because it was near the time I was born. It is something I grew up with. All my relatives were touched in one way or another. My father and my uncles were all in the military. None were killed or even injured while in the military. We were fortunate in that respect.

So even though I do not remember anything specifically from my childhood I will remember the Pearl Harbor attack all the days of my life. I hope and pray our world never has to endure such events ever again. Hopefully the world has learned from such terrible events.

Dusty that is a cute story. It certainly seems in keeping with the type of person Truman was. I can imagine the CO was not the happiest guy in the world when he got those orders.
Happy Trails and memories ---- Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I forgot to mention that my uncle (navy WW2) was driving a landing craft at Normandy when a round went between his helmet and his head and left a permanent part. What a generation , so many gave so much.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I was also born in 42. I have vivid memories of my mom and dad talking about the war and my uncle who was a fighter pilot. He was shot down but survived and recovered fully. I remember watching hundreds of planes flying over in formation near Mitchel Field. I remember my mom walking down the block, holding my hand and pushing my sister in a carriage, to a neighbor who had bees to get honey. She used it in place of sugar which was hard to get because of rationing. I remember when rationing ended playing with the old coupons pretending they were money. It was a different world back then.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I was born in 1939. My father raised beef cattle and had a dairy so the service left him home to raise food. I remember having news paper on the windows so no light could be seen from the air. Remember men coming to get scrap metal from the ranch bone yar for the war effort. My family had gone to the mountains for a picnic and I remember when we came home and drove the 1939 Pontiac down main sterr everyone was in the street dancing and having a great time. My dad asked what was going on and someone told him the war was over. I remember we stayed in town for the celebration till late that night.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I also was born in 1942. But before Pearl Harbor. I was 3 years old when the war was over.
My family have told me many stories of serving. Many uncles on both sides of my family served in various wars. All came back. Some with injuries.
My red headed aunt told me the story about Truman when we traveled to Spokane 2 years ago. She is still going strong. Uncle has passed away but she is still active and sharp. She climbed in and out of our tow truck like it was nothing! Loves to go places. One of my favorite people!
Had uncles in the Korean war too.
My DH was in during Viet Nam, he went to Germany. He and his cousin went through book camp together. His cousin went to Nam. His cousin back but had contact with agent orange and has had cancer but is OK now. So could say he has had injuries.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm Commander of my hometown American Legion Post. I currently still have five or six members that are WW II Vets and I love sitting down with them and listening to their stories of their war experiences. Made me laugh when one of the guys said he entered the service late during WWII and he had trained to be sent overseas but instead he got to be stationed here in the Midwest. He laughed and said "You know as far as I know there was never a German or Japanese soldier that ever made it near my base at all!" He is still proud of serving his country and I'm glad he is! Both of my parents were in the service during WWII and that's where they met. Both were in the Army Air Corp. Dad in refueling and Mom was in the motor pool. You never think of the WWII members being stationed in South America but my Dad was. He was stationed in Natel, Brazil and refueled B-24 and B-25s as they hopped from Florida to Brazil then over the Atlantic to Africa and the European front. Don't know if anyone remembers or has read about "The Lady Be Good" (B-24 I think) that crashed out in the Sahara but we have pictures of the plane before it headed across the Atlantic from Brazil. We used to kid my Dad about shorting the plane on fuel but what actually happpened was that they were flying at night and when they crossed the coast they could not tell the difference from the ocean and the sand waves of the desert. It ran out of fuel and belly landed in the desert. None of the crew were ever found because they took off walking after several days of waiting to be rescued.
Anyway, I sure am glad I've gotten to know these men and all of those I've met that have served.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheCoachPotatoes

This is why they are called "The Greatest Generation".
Ahmen brother. These guys were mens men.

Political off topic content removed. Please try to stay on topic. Thank you, RVWheels, MOC Admin.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had wrote before that every member of my family of that generation served. All of them were immigrants or sons of immigrants.They served in every theater all survived. All are now gone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
So sorry..... I meant to say after Pearl Harbor. Not during Pearl Harbor. Yes I know it was 1941 before I was born was what I was trying to say.