Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Dually-Rotate Tires Or Not??

I have been told that there is no need to rotate tires, I truly believe that someone doesn't want to work ..

What do you that have dually's do????

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Sue , you will get many opinions on this. I rotate the two front tires side to side, IE swap the left and right front steer tires, thats it. anything else would match up two of the rear duals with mismatched tire height (from wear) , and would also require breaking down the tires from the rims and remounting and balancing them. Mine is a 4x4 and as a rule will wear the two front a lot faster than the rears, buy two fronts every 30,000 miles is cheaper than 6 all at once. My opinion only
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, check the owners manual. It should tell you the rotation pattern and how often to rotate. I just a few minutes ago got back from having the wheels rotated. Ours is a single rear wheel, not a dually. But I checked the manual to be able to tell Walmart what rotation pattern to use and saw there's also a pattern there for the dually. Mine's a Ford manual but the Chevy is probably the same.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
My two front tires are wearing poorly. I've been told that this is normal on a 4x4. But the rears are wearing very even. So, my plan is to just put new tires on the front as required and run the heck out of the 4 rear tires without rotation.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I rotate them every 5-10,000 mi. I keep the front tires together and swap a set from the rear to the front. This way the 2 from the front that are worn more stay together. Yes accellerated tire wear is a problem with 4x4's but I have also experienced it with 2wd also.

As for switching the tires from side to side, it is not a problem as it used to be with bias ply tires but I try and keep the rotation the same anyway. Kinda gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. If I had a blowout for one reason or another the rotation would always be in the back of my mind.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:07 AM   #6
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Craig, looks like we are doing the same , John, I also agree with the reverseing of the tires when they were bias, and thats always still in the the back of my mind also, I know what you mean, I dont rotate or mess with the rears as the outside duals are on aluminum wheels while the inners are steel wheels. I just let em run, swap the fronts and call it done.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:27 AM   #7
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I'm running steel wheels with simulators so the rotating is no big deal. That's also the only time I get a chance to check the air pressure anyway.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
mine is a 4x4 and fronts were poor.the dealer rotated them to the back and rides much better.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote