Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
An RV weight will stay a lot more consistant then a working pickup that runs different loads all the time and I guess you could follow an inflation chart with a vehicle that has a more consistent weight. The number of trucks on the road that run max inflated tires all the time no matter if they are loaded or unloaded would suggest no real problems outside of a harsher ride are caused at max pressure.
I have always run my Ford pickups at max air at the rear just because I never knew what I would be hauling but I do agree I could improve the ride of my truck by running the tires at a lower psi.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #22
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I'm very pleasantly surprised to hear that the Missions seem to be doing fine...from the folks actually using them. My 3400 has the "E" rated tires with a max load of 3520 lbs at 80 PSI.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #23
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Steve,

I thought the load chart was stored in the trailer - which has to be stored in the next city over since it is illegal to part an RV in my city - new law.

Unfortunately it was not there. I believe I received it from www.tireco.com (I called them last December to discuss the various aspects of owning a somewhat unknown tire brand) via. email about 8 months ago, but must have deleted it sometime in the past.

Rick & Wanda
2003 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax with Allison Trans.
Firestone Airbags
Glide-Ride Pinbox - It's Great!
2006 3400RL - We Love The Trailer!

Montana Customer Service?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #24
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I totally agree that tires should be inflated to the actual load they are carrying and not necessarily the max pressure on the sidewall BUT from what I am reading on the weights of most of our Monty's there is very little difference between max and actual loads.
I for one run with 80 PSI in my 4 trailer tires and the rear tires on the TV and 50 PSI in the TV's front tires. Knowing the difference between overinflated tread wear patterns and underinflated tread wear patterns I find all my tires with a fairly even tread wear telling me that my pressures are very close to what they should be.

On EDIT....Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ALLOW ANYONE PLUG YOUR TIRES PERIOD
The only way to repair a tire is to dismantle it from the rim and patch it from the inside. 99% of all good reputable tire dealers repair tires from the inside and would not be caught dead plugging a tire. If your dealer insists on plugging ask him if the repair is guaranteed. After he says NO I would still go find myself another tire dealer.
The only acceptable plug is called a plug patch. It kinda resembles a mushroom and is installed from the inside. It is only used for a puncture of a 1/4 inch or larger. The stem has a metal sleeve that is pushed through the hole from the inside. They than grab the stem on the outside and pull it through the hole until the top of the mushroom is tight against the liner of the tire.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:54 AM   #25
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Anyone know where to find a load chart for the Mission tires? I'd like to air the tires to what is appropriate for the load. If these tires are rated at 3520 (14,480 for four) then perhaps it would be worthwhile to run less pressure. Until I find a chart and know the load on each tire I'll run mine at 80 psi, though.
Steve, The load range and inflation is the same for any given tire size and ply rating regardless of manufacturer.

Here's a link to Goodyear's Tire Inflation. The page is in PDF format. Scroll down to page L9 for the ST tires.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Was with my tire guy this AM. When asked the specific question of inflating the tire pressure according to the weight of the camper he said ..that is the perfect way to do it..How some ever..I would have to be constantly weighing the camper and adjusting the tire pressure to meet that criteria and since our camper(3400) is sort of heavy anyhow and as long as you do not exceed the max rated tire pressure.. and the GVWR of the camper you are OK. Since the camper is rated at 13975 and it weighed @ 11900 empty and if i did not get @1500lbs of stuff into it I was not trying which would leave me maybe 600lbs or so under GVRW ..That is not going to make much if any difference in tire pressure. We have not yet weighed this thing with our "stuff" aboard and we have been real picky but will not be surprised with numbers around 13.5 K.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rick, thanks for trying. I will check that site and the michelin site as well as the Goodyear site Glenn provided.

A quick look at the Michelin site, their tires in LR E and same size as on the Montana show a load max of 3042 lbs. Someone said recently the missions are 35xx. So I wonder if that would change the psi for a given load.

By the way, some of us fulltimers will wear tires out before the time out so tread life is a factor for us. However, the Goodyears we used to have on this trailer never reached anywhere close to the end of tread life before blowing out. Thus we nearly always had pretty new tires on here. Since going to the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT LRE tires about 8000 miles ago we've had no more tire problems. I don't think we ever went that long on the Goodyears before at least one of them blew. Or had other problems.

Glenn, thanks for the info. I just downloaded a chart and I think I already have the goodyear chart somewhere on this laptop.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote