Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Intermittent short in brakes - HELP

I've gone back through the archives but didn't find this specific problem that I've encountered. My brakes are reading a short only at application and intermittent. I've brought the trailer to be fixed. As this can't be detected when not in motion the dealer was ready to send me on my way but with their test equipment we were able to determine that when I braked hard when in motion in their lot the short was coming from the trailer (reflected as an overload and occasional SH). My concern is that as this is so hard to detect when stationary that it still may come back not fixed and we are leaving for an 800 mile trip this weekend. The prospect of doing so with occassional brakes in not comforting.

So any thoughts as to where this problem is coming from would be most appreciated as I like to be able to see it worked through. Thanks

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Most of us have found a problem with the wires rubbing inside the brakes on the magnet activator arm - you have to look really closely. There is a clip to hold the wires in place on the arm but it comes off/breaks - funny too it seems to be mainly in the rear sidewalk side brake.
You might also get an "OVERLOAD" reading as well as a short - good luck

2005 2955 with a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew cab with Duramax, Allison and Pullrite 16K slider
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Here is a post I did back in Feb, hope it helps.
I've put over 6000Kms on since no problem.

Posted - Feb 07 2006 : 8:14:52 PM

For those of us out there pulling our monties with 2005 Ford trucks with the intergrated brake controller.

Like others, I kept getting warnings on the message board in the center of my dashboard telling me my trailer has become unplugged. that in itself was bad enough but that constant beep that came with each warning was enough to drive you nuts.

Now thanks to this MOC Forums I found the problem. It is not easy just to pop over to our dealer (100 miles away plus a ferry to catch ), it costs too much to go there with every little thing that's wrong, so I try to fix as much as I can on my own.

I had checked all conections, ( juction box under the pin box and all the conections to the brake drums, and could not find any problem.
I was sure my truck was OK as we have pulled our last trailer all over the west coast and never had a problem.

...........anyways after reading as much as I could find on this forum I decided it must be inside one of the brake drums. Now which one?
It seems that most of the problems were found in the right rear drum, so why not. I took the tire and then the drum off and there it was, right there.

The Magenet has two wires going to it and one of them was rubbed right thru to the copper wire. The wires have two little clips that hold them to the actuator Arm, and one had come loose or was never clipped on. The rubbed part of the wire was about 1 & 1/2 " in front of the magnet. It was rubbing on the face of the brake drum right where the wheel studs go thru the drum. Not a hard fix, a little Electrian's tape, Hook up the wire clip properly, make sure nothing is going to rub and put the drum and `wheel back together. Took it out for a 15 mile ride a little while ago and not a peep.

thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on this forum. It can be very educational when we all work together, like we do on Montanaowners.com

John & Dawn

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote