Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
Charge controller

I have just installled the Iota IQ4 charge controller on the converter. It is supposed to provide 3 levels of charge into the batteries, plus weekly provide an equalizing charge to the batteries. I had previously had a charge controller that provided this type of charging on a solar system that I had on a cabin that had no electricity other than the solar panels and a battery bank and it worked very well. When I called Keystone to find out about the "dummy" plug for the Iota converter that would allow more rapid charging of the batteries, I was told that it is not supplied and that the converter as supplied only worked as a "trickle" charger. This should make a big difference to anyone who boondocks and I hope that it will extend the life of the batteries by providing a weekly equalization charge. Installation took about 5 minutes - once you get to the converter.

ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have done the same thing, plus I added a meter to monitor the charge rate. The IQ4 really works!

One big advantage to us is that when we are boondocking, the batteries get recharged from our generator much more quickly and fully. This is a worthwhile improvemnent for anyone who ever boondocks. Even if you don't boondock, it will maintain your battery in better condition.

Please keep in mind that there are two optional extras for the Iota converter, one is just a fast charger, but the one Idunning and I are talking about is a "smart" charger, called an IQ4. It is not expensive and is a simple plug-in installation. Just my opinion, but I think everyone should have one.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK..so how do we get one of these things..I don't see the book???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:23 AM   #4
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Rich
I've had one for several years, just google IOTA IQ4. I paid about $20 for mine.
Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I also installed one and now my Kipor Generator charges my two batteries faster than before.

Also, the acid level on my two 12 volt batteries stays constantly full and my unit has been plugged in for 8 months straight. I found the info on the IOTA website but had to try 3 different RV dealers to get one that could order it and it cost me 70 bucks Canadian. It took me 5 minutes to install it. I know I paid too much but I am happy with the way this thing works.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We had a problem with our converter. It quit on us. We found out there was a 2 yr. guarantee from IOTA. They took our info, sent us a new one within a week at no charge. They told us to call Master Tech Inc. for the IQ4. Their No is 1-800-848-0558. The charge was $30.00 plus 7.50 Shipping and handling. Simple Installation.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote