Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
TN Cowgirl

M.O.C. #22409
Satellite System

I’ve read every post about the satellite troubleshooting on the Montanas from Facebook. Was directed here from that group. We have the 2019 3811MS and I have followed all the instructions. Changed the splitter in the basement, change the connectors on the wall plates to the blue ones, took the splitters off the wall plates. I hooked up my dish and only received some stations from one satellite not all 3.satellites. Tried with antenna booster on and off didn’t make a difference. Bypassed the wiring in camper by running direct from satellite dish to receiver and got all stations. I only have satellite on the living room TV not all 3 TVs, no picture on the bedroom or outside tv. What am i missing? How do I get satellite on all 3 TVs with one receiver? Beyond frustrated is an understatement. Dish network can’t send out a tech they don’t install for RV’s. �� HELP! We had no issues with our Mobile Suites, had satellite channels on all three TV’s with one receiver. Connected to the outside satellite connection and we were watching dish network. Not with this Montana. ������ I’ve worked on this all day.

TN Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What kind of satellite antenna are you using? Also, when you removed the splitter, what did you do? The splitter is how one signal gets to three TV's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Cowgirl,

Welcome to the forum!

I believe you will need a separate receiver for each TV. We only do dish to our living room TV and have wired it direct by running cable from our living room TV to our outside TV where we can connect it to the sat antenna.

A tailgater or X2 will support 2 receivers and several folks use a home style antenna which is more capable. There are several other threads on sat TV on the site if you use the search function.

Lots of folks have been frustrated by the sat TV issues so you are not alone.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Apparently the newer Montanas have a splitter behind the convenience center. There has been a lot of discussion about trying to use the OTA/Cable/Sat connections which a Search should find. Here are a couple of them which may help you.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=73066
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=73292
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=74249

I am a DirecTV guy but I believe Dish is very similar with respect to satellite signals. It appears you have two problems;

First - Connect the sat signal to the receiver.
It is well known that sat systems do not tolerate splitters or diplexers. Montana has buried some behind the convenience center wall (and perhaps behind the main TV). You MUST remove any splitters/diplexer from the coax connecting the convenience center and the receiver. Be sure to "tone out" the coax to ensure continuity. Many have just given up and run a cable directly to the location of the receiver (often through a wall jack).

Missing channels and/or poor signal are signs of a splitter/diplexer along the signal path.

The Second Problem - is supplying the output of the receiver to multiple TVs. Obviously all TVs will see the same picture. This will depend of the specific receiver you have. If the only output is HDMI then perhaps a HDMI splitter is a start. I seem to recall there is a HDMI to Component to coax doodad which coupled with a spilitter could provide signal to other TVs. Otherwise you have to run HDMI cables from the main TV to each of the remote ones you want. If your receiver has coax output, then a splitter after the receiver may be the ticket.

I am not familiar with the current TV wiring. I have heard they only run one coax to each TV and rely on diplexers to merge the various signals (Sat, Cable/Antenna) and Dish/DirecTV are incompatible with them.

There has beem a ton of discussion on this topic. Do a "Search" on "satellite splitter" and you will find around 329 topics. I would only read the most current ones as the issue just started in the last year or so.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
and learn the difference about splitters and diplexers.
The diplexer is a different device than a passive combiner or splitter. The ports of a diplexer are frequency selective; the ports of a combiner are not. ... A diplexer frequency multiplexes two ports onto one port, but more than two ports may be multiplexed.
good luck
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
and learn the difference about splitters and diplexers.
The diplexer is a different device than a passive combiner or splitter. The ports of a diplexer are frequency selective; the ports of a combiner are not. ... A diplexer frequency multiplexes two ports onto one port, but more than two ports may be multiplexed.
good luck
Owww! Owww! My brain hurts!
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's an issue several folks have on their Tech visit at the Rally and I'm sure it's going to come up with Keystone when they present.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
I think Carl n Susan have it right.

One solution to consider is one I have at home to send an HDMI signal wirelessly to another TV or from a cable receiver to a TV when wiring is a challenge. There are several HDMI wireless transmitters out there. You do need to watch out for a slight delay on the signal. ActionTec is the one I have and it works reliably.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
When I upgraded our rig for HD, here's what I had to do: There was a "satellite in" port that went directly to entertainment center so connecting receiver not an issue. I ended up running HDMI cable to br tv, Dish 711 receiver only has 1 HDMI outlet, so I got HDMI splitter. Receiver remote operates on infrared so couldn't change channels from br. Purchased wireless radio frequency infrared transmitter/receiver on Amazon, transmitter in br, receiver in entertainment center pointed to front of 711. Both HDMI splitter and infrared require 5 volts so I wired cigarette lighter socket, plugged in dual USB adaptor, made hdmi cables and hooked it all up. Works great.

Only one issue, after I finished fishing HDMI cable to br, accidentally cut It. Was able to solder wires using shrink tube, aluminum foil for shield and more shrink tube. Looks like a snake swallowed a mouse, but it's hidden behind door and works.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote