Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
Samsung resdental FR18 refrigerator

Hi
we are the new owners of a HC 331 RL.And have just finished winterizing the water system including running pink rv fluid threw the ice machine. After doing this we have discovered there is no way to turn the RF18 residential refrigerator off ? the book just says if your not going to use it for an extended period of time to unplug it ?? pulling it out to unplug it does not appear to be a simple task?
So my question is ??? once I unplug the 50 amp power supply to the fifth wheel will the refigator continue to run on the batteries until they run down ??
Thanks
Mike t

miket49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket49 View Post
Hi
we are the new owners of a HC 331 RL.And have just finished winterizing the water system including running pink rv fluid threw the ice machine. After doing this we have discovered there is no way to turn the RF18 residential refrigerator off ? the book just says if your not going to use it for an extended period of time to unplug it ?? pulling it out to unplug it does not appear to be a simple task?
So my question is ??? once I unplug the 50 amp power supply to the fifth wheel will the refigator continue to run on the batteries until they run down ??
Thanks
Mike t
1. I turned mine off using the control buttons, google the owners manual or there is a video on you tube. 2. Only if the power inverter is turned on. Turn it off to, or do it the old way, lift the positive terminal on the battery, best do that anyway cause the propane detector is always on. If your not going to be using it for some time that is.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would suggest lifting the negative cable if you wish to remove all loads.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
head hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
I would suggest lifting the negative cable if you wish to remove all loads.
From the standpoint of Physics, it’s negative to positive. The particle responsible for electricity, the electron, has a negative charge. In, for example, a battery, the negative terminal has an excess of electrons and the positive terminal has a deficit. When the two terminals are connected, the electrons begin flowing from the negative to the positive (then back to the negative, internally in the battery).
From the standpoint of electronics, however, it doesn’t matter. You can imagine the electricity flowing from negative to positive or from positive to negative, and (in every case that matters to electrical engineers) you’ll get the same results every time. This is why some applications to electronics were discovered even before the charge of the electron was known, and why many electronics textbooks will talk about electricity flowing from positive to negative. Also, in electronics diagrams, things like diodes and transistors are drawn as though electricity flows from positive to negative.
When discussing positive to negative flow, electrical engineers will sometimes discuss positively charged particles flowing. In this case, they don’t mean protons or positrons: they’re talking about the flow of “space lacking electrons” or “electron holes” – gaps in space where there are no electrons even though there could be. These electron-hole “particles” are not actual particles; they’re simply a tool used to help imagine positive-to-negative flow.
As more of a physicist, I tend to think in terms of the negative-to-positive flow of electrons. However, you can just as easily imagine everything in terms of positive-to-negative electron-holes, if that makes you more comfortable.

Or just lift the positive it is what most people understand.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
It only took one sentence to tell me to unhook the negative. That has worked well for me for a long time.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
Thanks
all good info but all I want to do is turn the refrigerator off. and leave the batteries hooked up so we can move the slides in and out a few more times for last minute projects before winter sets in
Old 10-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
Bill n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23680
Quote:
Thanks
all good info but all I want to do is turn the refrigerator off. and leave the batteries hooked up so we can move the slides in and out a few more times for last minute projects before winter sets in
Press and hold the refrigerator and ice plus buttons at the same time for 5 seconds. This will place the refrigerator in DEMO Mode and your indicator light will say O F, or OF F. The lights inside fridge will stay on, but the unit will not cool, and freezer will not freeze. DEMO mode is basically for displaying the unit in a store, but essentially turns the unit off. Hope that is what you are looking for. Do the same button push to turn unit back on for cooling.
Bill n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #8
rescue7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15913
Just flip the circuit breaker off for the refrigerator in the beaker box and turn off inverter.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
On mine there is a red switch in the battery compartment that shuts off 12V to the inverter thus shutting down the refrigerator, double checked it. Doing that and making sure everything else was off, I can leave the 12V switched (in the convenience center) on so the solar charges the battery's the only other draws are the smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors and the solar more than covers that.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
Montajmahal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23285
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
From the standpoint of Physics, it’s negative to positive. The particle responsible for electricity, the electron, has a negative charge. In, for example, a battery, the negative terminal has an excess of electrons and the positive terminal has a deficit. When the two terminals are connected, the electrons begin flowing from the negative to the positive (then back to the negative, internally in the battery).
From the standpoint of electronics, however, it doesn’t matter. You can imagine the electricity flowing from negative to positive or from positive to negative, and (in every case that matters to electrical engineers) you’ll get the same results every time. This is why some applications to electronics were discovered even before the charge of the electron was known, and why many electronics textbooks will talk about electricity flowing from positive to negative. Also, in electronics diagrams, things like diodes and transistors are drawn as though electricity flows from positive to negative.
When discussing positive to negative flow, electrical engineers will sometimes discuss positively charged particles flowing. In this case, they don’t mean protons or positrons: they’re talking about the flow of “space lacking electrons” or “electron holes” – gaps in space where there are no electrons even though there could be. These electron-hole “particles” are not actual particles; they’re simply a tool used to help imagine positive-to-negative flow.
As more of a physicist, I tend to think in terms of the negative-to-positive flow of electrons. However, you can just as easily imagine everything in terms of positive-to-negative electron-holes, if that makes you more comfortable.

Montajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
if you are winterizing disconnect the batteries.

do you want to remove batteries and keep warm and charged?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
i did find a circuit breaker in panel the turned off the refrigerator ? what ever they had written on it was unreadale and mislabeled
Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 PM   #13
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Smile

Quote:
Hi
Thanks
Mike t
If all you want to do is to completely turn off the res ref......go to the inverter and near it will be a receptacle where you're frig is plugged in....just unplug it and it's OFF. There is NO plug behind the frig on mine.
Turn OFF the inverter also by looking in the compartment where the batteries are and turn off the inline switch mounted on the wall. That's the way it is on mine , but I do not have the same unit as you. Hope this helps. When I first bought mine I had the same question and called the factory and talked to an "expert" with 35 yrs experience in RVs. He told me to "just roll it out from the wall and unplug it"!!!!! True story. Hope this helps....or neg to positive, or positive to neg?? lol
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
Thanks this is the info I was looking for when first posting. this is our first RV with a residential frig so I wasn't sure how all that worked. there is a plug for the frig you can see behind it but it looks they put the frig in place and then put a piece of trim under it that would need to come off before just rooling it out lol
Old 10-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
It won't "just roll out" cause it is anchored to the wall.....otherwise that monster would tear up the whole RV before it crashed out of a wall!!!!.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
miket49,
As a side note, you do not need to run the "pink stuff" through the ice maker. Blow the line out with air, separate the feed line under the slide and let the water drain. Since you already put antifreeze through your ice maker, be prepared to make pink ice for awhile next season.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #17
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post

As a former Aviation Electronics Technician in the Navy I understand "hole flow". But the truth behind removing the negative cable is that there is less spark potential there. Lead acid batteries vent gasses which can be explosive. Less spark, less chance of blowing something up.
Just saying.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #18
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
even after taking the two anchor screws out in front the frig is will not roll out because of the molding in front which runs half way across the kitchen slide
Old 10-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #19
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
did that and still it made a batch of good ice before the pink stuff came thru
Old 10-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #20
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Thanks
If you leave the batteries connected you will surely drain them unless you have means to keep them charged even with the Fridge disconnected. Batteries don't just die, they get murdered.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote