Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Toilet fixed (long)

Our Sealand/Dometic toilet has not been holding water (again!) and I decided to try the old "lube with cooking spray" trick. I took the bowl off, removed the seals, lubed them up and re-installed everything. Still would not hold water and toilet room would get a little "smelly" when tanks were getting full.
Called Dometic and got the parts #'s for the flush ball kit figuring I would replace it as well as new seals.

I got the parts from American RV and started the repair this morning. Getting everything apart was not too bad but I had already replaced the water valve and seals a couple of years ago so kinda knew what I was doing (or so I thought!!).
Getting the ball valve and shaft out was not too difficult but getting the new ones in was a bit of a pain but it finally all went together. Put the new seals on, replaced the bowl and turned the water back on. Oh oh, the water goes down past the valve quicker than before. The new valve doesn't even slow it down!!
Decided to take a break and think this out. Checked on line for the hours for the nearest Camping World as it looked like a new $200 toilet was in our future.
Calmed down some and decided to take the bowl off one more time to make sure the seals were not "pinched" or something.
Pulled it all back apart (again!) and seals were laying nice and flat with slot in the notch like they are supposed to be. Something looked funny though ..... got out the directions for the seals (good time to start reading directions!) and found I put the seals in backwards, the thin seal goes on the bottom with the thick one on top. Changed them around, put it all back together (again!) and VOILA everything works and the bowl now hold water!This 20 minute repair only took me about 2 1/2 hours!
Before we get into a discussion about reading the directions let me say that I am married and have already heard everything you guys are going to tell me! Over and over and over again all morning!

Phil

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Look at all the stuff you got to learn by waiting to read the directions! There is a bright side.

-Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Yeah Phil, now you can refer to yourself as "The Toiletmaster". (Not sure I would want that handle though). Your future is forever sealed(pun intended). Have a great time on your next DIY project. On the bright side, you did save $200.00. Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Glen,

yep, it was quite the experience. Read your signature ... nephew reports for duty on USS Albany next month.

Phil,

guess I'm now a King on his Throne!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I feel your pain- Another been there, done that moment in this wonderfull lifestyle we share- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That was very funny Phil (exav8tr)!!

Good news about that "Toiletmaster" tag. Since you had to redo your work a 'master' you're not, whew! The tag doesn't fit even if you had done the repair on the first shot. Now if you start repairing others' toilets and with no rework, then you shall be tagged accordingly. Until then, "wingerPhil" still fits...

The bad news is whatever the effort I agree he did save a boatload of cash doing it himself. Does that make him a "Toiletsaver"? Okay, enough of the toilet humor.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Lesee, $ 200 divided by number of hours spent on project, carry the 2 = Ruh roh! I didn't think you worked that cheap! Just Kidding! I'm right there with you on reading the instructions! Thanx for the post.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Old 07-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i had a heck of time doing the same thing.....was worse than before.

ended up just having it repaired in tucson....and it looked so simple.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When I do that (read the instructions the second time thru) I just tell Joyce I was wanting the practice.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote