Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Pirolli Park RV resort

After 23 years of marriage, I am finally going to meet the rest of my wifes family in Toledo, Ohio, in mid July. We're looking at staying in Michigan, just North of Sylvania. This looks like a decent park, but would appreciate any info. Has anyone ever used it or have information about it, either good or bad? Thanks in advance.

Dave and Leslie

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Let me rephrase this a little. Can anyone recommend a good RV park around the Toledo, Ohio area? Having never been there, I respect the opinions of others who have.

Thanks
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
We have stayed there once and that was one time to many, that has to be one of the worst camping trips that the family has had, It was a 4th of july week end it was loud with most of the people there not knowing what quite time is. Not sure what was in the swimming pond but our daughter and a friend got sick and the only thing we can figure it was something in the water. I believe we pulled out early after the last stunt that the mantenance crew pulled. After someone notice a branch was hanging from a tree they decided that it should be removed and without tieing it off it came down on a campers trailer. That was enough for me. There a number of nicer campgrounds in the area Totum pole is a smaller campground that was nice,there is also a KOA that is nice but we have only stayed at once as they pack you in so thight you can't sneeze without the guy next to you hearing, If you prefer there is a state park not to far away Maumee bay state park near lake Erie in Oregon Ohio nice sites and plenty to do, the one thing bad is they only have 30 amp sevrice witch may not be a big concern depending on when you plan to camp. Hope this helps if you need more info I will be glad to help. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I agree about that KOA, it is called Monroe KOA, Petersburg, MI, off US 23 at the 9 mile marker. The last time we were there, was just a couple of years ago with the twins for a week. It was VERY VERY pricy, charged extra for everything, they sure are a pure example of the Keep On Adding name that KOA has. They charged extra for the girls, they were going to charge us $5.00 extra per day PER dog, that was when we had 4 yorkies. Al bartered them out of that one, telling them we would book for a full week if they waived that fee, the dog fee, which they did.

But, parking Tana in there was a challenge, Al did danged good, but, wow, talk about a tight fit?? UGHHH

It was ok for us with the girls, as they wanted beach time, dogs and camping. It was a good place to stay as we also wanted to take them to the Toledo Zoo. I believe they had hay/wagon rides just about every night, maybe it was weeknights?? whatever. They have a huge water slide, which is extra on the weekends, during the week, they let the girls ride 2 days all they wanted, no extra, included in the camp fee.

For all the negative I have said here, have to say, the staff was really nice, really trying to please, etc.

Now, other considerations: State Park at Sterling, over by Monroe, right on Lake Erie, have not been there since they moved the campsites out to the lake, but hear there are some 50 amp full service type sites, but, don't take my word for it, check out:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr

Also, I heard there is a new(er) campground in Monroe, suggest you email or pm Glenn and Lorraine, they stayed there last summer, I do not have the details, but believe it would be a full service campground, full hookups, and sorry, no, I don't know the name.

Monroe is not toooooo far from Toledo, between the two there used to be a Outlet Mall shopping thing. Luna Pier??? area.

Have not been in Pirolli in such a long long time, way back mid 80's ??? Live within striking distance, have not much interest in going back, and will let Glass Guy's remarks stand.

Enjoy your visit to Michigan. By the way, Al and I rarely camp anywhere BUT state parks in Michigan. If you want more details on some of our favorites, feel free to email, or ask here on the forum.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Just let me add that our stay at Perolli park was about 10 years ago but I believe it is still the same owners, Sterling State Park does have full hook up sites with 50 amp service very nice campground but due to the fact that it is new there is very little shade, If you are looking for a site in any state park you will need to make reservations but not more than 6 months in advance. It is located just off exit 15 at I-75 so about 15 miles north of Toledo Ohio. Good Luck Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote