Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
D-Con

A post in another topic prompted me to post this as a warning to all pet owners and lovers. Please do not use D-Con for rodents in or around your house, trailers, buildings etc. Our dog Maxwell ingested some of it last year and unfortunately died from it. We did not use the poison, but a family member who camps with us did. It wasn't immediate, it took a couple weeks before it caused him to bleed internally. When we realized, it was too late. They say experience is the best teacher. I pass my experience on so you all don't have to go through the same.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Good warning. I do use it, but at home in the garage it is under a shelf that is about 2" off the floor, and in the Monte only in the basement.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Now that is sad..Sorry for your loss folks that's a tough one yeah not of fan of the stuff myself for that reason AND at our old Business they used it and a lot of times they would go up and die in between walls, Attic etc.. and it would smell for weeks
Old 12-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sorry to hear about your pet, My Smokey (Dog) pulled the table cloth off the table to get some squirrel poison, He ate about a cup of the stuff, when I returned home and saw what happened, I then went and got the hydrogen peroxide and mixed a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide and forced it down him which caused him to throw up immediately, I did that for as long as I could no longer see any pellets in his vomit, that was what saved him from a slow death.
I now carry in my pet first aid some stuff called Toxiban Activated Charcoal. but to be honist with you I believe the hydrogen peroxide is the quickest way If you know your pet ingested anything bad.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry for your loss, unexpected pet deaths are tough. I do use poison bait buy only in a commercially produced bait box designed to let rats and mice in and keep pets and other critters out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We use the same apparatus that Dick does out at the farm and around the house in Omaha. They take a special bait block inside the box but it sure stops any of the animals from getting to the bait. We do have about 15 cats out at the farm and they do a pretty good job keeping the mice and rat population down but we still have the bait boxes set up incase they get lazy!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
What a sad story. i am so so sorry for your loss. Years ago we had a dog that ate some poison pellets that you put in the yard for snails and we lost her. I guess we have to learn some lessons the hard way. again so sorry.
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
I am sorry about the loss of your pet. I know you feel like we do, that a pet is a family member.

I am the one who recommended D-con, and if used properly and put in areas where the pet can not get to it, it is safe.

We travel with a dog and I have used and will continue to use D-con if needed. It just needs to be applied properly and safely.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote