Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Door County Wisconsin

Thinking about a trip to Door County, Wisconsin this year. Any recommendations on RV parks or things to do in the area would be appreciated.

mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
We spent about a week there last summer and loved it. Check our travel blog for ideas. See July 1-7. Or PM me.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtpocket2

Thinking about a trip to Door County, Wisconsin this year. Any recommendations on RV parks or things to do in the area would be appreciated.
My advice would be to make sure they can accommodate you. In 2000 we paid a deposit for a fourth of July week visit based on them assuring me that they had sites big enough for me (don't remember the RV park name). When we arrived, we paid our money and proceeded to the lot they had reserved for us. Sure enough, the lot was about 60 ft. long would take our rig and truck combined. Only problem was I couldn't get into the lot due to the trees on both sides of the lot and on the other side of the road across from the lot. I could not for the life of me (and I don't have problems putting the rig into some pretty tight spots) get the rig into the lot.

Backing in from the driver's side, the right rear of the rig could not clear the trees alongside the lot because the road into the area was too narrow (lined with trees about 4-5 feet apart) so there wasn't enough room to get the truck around so that the rig would clear the trees.

We obtained our money back (minus the deposit) and left, going back to Iowa.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Orv must have stayed at the same campground that we did. It really was tight and I can't remember the name either but it was just south of Egg Harbor. There was another section that we would not have any problems but were already full of seasonal's. We got in but just barely. The State Parks are great and even if you stay as far south as Sturgeon Bay, you won't have a problem seeing everything. It isn't that big, just one county. Where ever you stay, it is well worth going there. Don't miss a fish boil (our favorite was at Baileys Harbor but they are all good). Ice cream at I think was called Jerry's at Egg Harbor or close to it and be sure to take the ferry with your truck to Washington Island, just to name a few.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We've stay there a couple times. We found a campground with wireless, but we couldn't find any with full hookups. I think it has to do with the rocky ground? They do offer honey wagon services.

We stayed at this one and liked it enough to go back:

http://www.frontierwildernesscampground.com/
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

We've stay there a couple times. We found a campground with wireless, but we couldn't find any with full hookups. I think it has to do with the rocky ground? They do offer honey wagon services.

We stayed at this one and liked it enough to go back:

http://www.frontierwildernesscampground.com/
They told me they couldn't have sewer hookups because they were too close to the lake. That is, if you were near where we went, and I don't remember where we went.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
Door County is a great place! We spend our summer weekends and vacations in Sturgeon Bay and never run out of things to do or see in the county. Capn Chris' blog lists some great places to see...Cave Point, several lighthouses, lots of great eating places and, of course, shopping! Door County even still has an operating drive-in theater, which we highly recommend taking in for a trip down memory lane!! Other attractions: If you enjoy performing arts, there is the Peninsula Players outdoor theater and Birch Creek Music Center. Also recommend taking in the Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay.

Also, if you like smoked fish, be sure to take a drive to Algoma, just south of Sturgeon Bay in Kewaunee County, and stop at Bearcats for the some of the best smoked fish we've found anywhere! Algoma is a great little fishing village.

As far as campgrounds, Peninsula State Park has a great campground on Lake Michigan. Be sure to take in the American Folklore Theater in the woods right in the State Park. Absolutely great entertainment, at very reasonable ticket prices!Door County has several other great state parks on the Lake Michigan shores.

Several wineries in Door County and Algoma - we enjoy doing the winery visits (especially the wine tasting!)
itaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
We've gone to Door County every fall for the last 20 yrs. Started off in a tent. We always stay at Peninsula State Park in Fish Creek (pronounced "crick" by the locals!). There's no full hook ups. In fact, even most of the homes outside of "in town" are on holding tanks with "honey wagon" sevice. This has to do with the rocky ground and the low water table. If you go in October (color change) and want an electric site, you better make reservations now. Tennison Bay is campgound that is open with electric this late in the season. The views and area in general make it well worth the effort as far as using a portable holding tank. There are so many good places to eat that this is the one place we go that we go out to eat almost every night. We can always cook some other time. A couple of must tries: Fish sandwich at Bayside Tap in Fish Creek, Perch Fry at Sister Bay Bowl, Prime Rib at the Greenwood Supper Club (outside of Fish Creek), ice cream at Wilson's in Ephraim, breakfast at Al Johnsons (grass roof with live goats on it), just to name a few. There are many, many art studios and wood crafting shops to visit. We've never been there any other time but October so I can't help you out much as far as summer goes. After we retire in 2 years , we are planning on going up there over Christmas some time. We hear it is a totally different place when only the local's are about.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
So if you like chicago's play ground , then its door county , other wise if you want to see the best part of wisconsin and not all tourst traps go north of green bay to the left not to door cty, and really see wis and upper mich .. now thats gods paradise. you have crivitz, or go to lakewood or lake tomahawk or miniqua , there is so much more in wis than door cty .. as the joke goes we were going to trade bret farve to chicago to get back the left lane of hy 41 and door county but the deal never went through so the left lane is all ill cars and so is door cty,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Sorry Sailor you're wrong. I grew up a FIB (#$%&ing Illinois #$ard) but I've lived in Kentucky for years. I've visited all parts of Wisconsin and the UP but there's something special about Door County. I'm a stones throw from the Smokeys but it's not the same. Maybe Wisconsoner's can't appreciate what they have right under their nose because the Bears fans overpopulate the area. At any rate, I would reccommend Door County to anyone. The Indian history and artisan community alone is worth the visit. JMHO.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We stayed at Baileys Grove and found it very nice. Is a Good Sam Park with full hookups. WI-FI but not at site had to go to rec center and if not open sit outside on patio. We would definitely stay there again. As to things to do take winery tour I believe in Egg Harbor, Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay, and ferry ride to Washinton Island. Fish boil at Johnson's Restaurant with the grass roof and goats on it. Lay back and enjoy it, but if you are there in high tourist season be ready for lots and lots of people. Lots of FIB's, but there money is as good as anyones.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Elise L Slenczka
Established Member

M.O.C. #8224
Bayshore CG just north of Green Bay, Hwy 57 in Dyckesville, is a simple but nice county park. No sewer but they do have a dump station. Great fishing. We stay there and do the touring to the north, Door Cty and South to Green Bay. Lots to see and do in both directions. Yes Wisconsin is God's country. We have travelled every state except Hawaii and we find Wi. one of the most scenic places to visit or live. We live in west central Wi. near Black River Falls. Enjoy all of Wisconsin!!
Elise L Slenczka is offline   Reply With Quote