Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #21
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Was camping at Ft Pickens in Pensacola a couple of years ago, with paved road and camping pads. Watched a guy try to back a very large 5er into his spot and had to get into the grass to get it backed in. If he had not had 4 wheel drive, he would not have gotten back out. Barley did with it. I have never had a 4-wheel drive truck before, but my latest truck, which was bought primarily to pull a 5er, does have it. May never need it, but if I have to use it one time to get out of trouble, I'll be glad I did.

Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Well I have to agree with everyone on the beating a dead horse. I gotta get that icon.

All I can say is I buy 4x4 for the same reason I wear a seat belt. It isn't that I plan on having an accident but if I do at least I am prepared for the UNEXPECTED!

Oh this will get a laugh. Tonight North Arkansas is under an Ice Storm alert! Tommorow morning they want us to drive to the main office for a SAFETY MEETING!!!!! I will be in 4x4 for sure in the 3/4 ton work truck!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Susan Daley View Post
We have ordered a 4x2 ..It is difficult to find one especially with an eight ft. Bed.
We were glad the person moving our 5th wheel for US had 4 wheel drive.
This is such a great dight THANK YOU ALL
I am not trying to be personal or ugly. I am honestly curious. Why didn't you buy 4x4? Especially after so many here made a very good case for it.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #24
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I hauled an RV of some sort from 1977 up to 2001 with a 2WD - and had the misfortune either of burying every one of them in mud holes or unable to back into a steeply graded graveled site or stuck on some frozen spit. The last three trucks have 4wd. I have yet to be stuck. Do I use the 4WD? Well yesterday I had to pull into a driveway that had been snow plowed in. Made it without a wheel spin. What I do miss on this current truck is a locking differential - I 'assumed' with a 4x4 Lariat package that it was standard - not!!

Oh, and one of those mud holes I was stuck in? It is embarrassing to have a friend haul your then high buck F350 SCLB out with a rusty 4wd, 4 cylinder Mazda field truck.,
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #25
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I have a 4X4 to save me from embarrassment. I day several years ago I was on a boat ramp loading my 21' Triton TR21 bass boat being pulled by my 3/4 ton 2WD Duramax crew cab pickup. It had rained the night before. Launching was not a problem. But when pulling the boat out and I cleared the concrete I contacted red clay and spun the rear tires. After several attempts of going back and forth I realized I was toast. I walked back to the house and asked DW to bring her Jeep and pull me out. Her little Grand Cherokee pulled my whole rig out with no issues. My bad. I have had 4X4 come in handy several times after that. Lesson learned.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #26
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
You live in South Carolina...no snow, THEN NO!..We have a 4x4 because we live in snow country. WE NEVER TOW IN ICE OR SNOW.. When we get snow and need to get over the mountains we have 4 wheel drive...chain restrictions go....CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES REQUIRED... CHAINS ONLY 4x4 with snow tires ok...4x4 chains only... ROAD CLOSED...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #27
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
With all due respect dfb states in the south do receive snow albeit not as much as the northern states. The things that are prevalent in the south are mud, oil slick roads and algae covered boat ramps. So there may be a need for 4X4 for people in the south.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #28
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
X2 on the Southern thang. If you don’t live here you wouldn’t understand. Bless your heart
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
X2 on the Southern thang. If you don’t live here you wouldn’t understand. Bless your heart
bless YOUR HEART BACK AT YOU ...2x and sideways...
Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #30
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
There is no single simple answer for everyone - this horse has been dead for some time and needs a respectful burial.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #31
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #32
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
With all due respect dfb states in the south do receive snow albeit not as much as the northern states. The things that are prevalent in the south are mud, oil slick roads and algae covered boat ramps. So there may be a need for 4X4 for people in the south.
we just dont tow in the snow.. Did one time going over Conway Summit out of Bishop .. There was a slight dusting and the tires were slipping.. No, 4x4 is NOT absolutely necessary, but it is nice to have.. I just don't imagine the South getting snow to where chains are required.. But then again, ice.. so I guess so... But we don't pull in ice or snow..
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #33
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
There is no single simple answer for everyone - this horse has been dead for some time and needs a respectful burial.
Well, Looks like a NEW HORSE....lol
Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #34
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I agree with you on not towing in snow or ice. And yes 4X4 is a nice to have and I use it when I need it. Each person has to decide what is best for their situation. I live in the sticks. You never know when someone will call you to pull them out of a ditch or help them get their tractor unstuck. Heck I've even herded some escaped cattle back into their pasture with my truck. I do have to admit that was fun.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #35
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I stay in two wheel probably 98% of the time but when I need the extra traction the 4X4 is great. And I don't have to search out someone to pull me out of a bad spot.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #36
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Even I am tired of this one and I would argue with a fence post. ��
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #37
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
They say a cat has nine lives. Don't know about a horse, but this horse has used many more than that and still going strong.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
They say a cat has nine lives. Don't know about a horse, but this horse has used many more than that and still going strong.
I had toxoplasmosis a disease you get from cats. I spent 5 1/2 hours on operating table. So no, stray cats do not have 9 lives but maybe horses do.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #39
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I will say this one more time. When someone new asks the questions of us about what truck is best for them we need to be willing to take the emotions out of the answers. Just because I suggest to a newbe one thing or the other should not be taken as a personal attack if you don’t agree or have said option. I just think we owe people asking a reasonable if not lively debate on the topic. One of the main reason for these forums is to have experienced people pass on their wisdom to folks new to the game is it not? There is an endless supply of fresh faces so as much as we would like to bury this horse for civilities sake she will continue to run.....I have been one of the main heavy posters on such topics so for my part I will try to refine my debate points keeping in mind that some of you will not agree with me.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #40
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I will say this one more time. When someone new asks the questions of us about what truck is best for them we need to be willing to take the emotions out of the answers. Just because I suggest to a newbe one thing or the other should not be taken as a personal attack if you don’t agree or have said option. I just think we owe people asking a reasonable if not lively debate on the topic. One of the main reason for these forums is to have experienced people pass on their wisdom to folks new to the game is it not? There is an endless supply of fresh faces so as much as we would like to bury this horse for civilities sake she will continue to run.....I have been one of the main heavy posters on such topics so for my part I will try to refine my debate points keeping in mind that some of you will not agree with me.
All need to use the search function so as not to open the same threads over and over and over and over.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote