Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #21
Cassiecat

M.O.C. #20864
Send a message via AIM to Cassiecat Send a message via MSN to Cassiecat Send a message via Yahoo to Cassiecat
mine set for 3 months and started right up. in a garage but not heated. 2014 f-250 diesel

Cassiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #22
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Dealer mentioned there is a transport setting - might check with a local to see if you can set yours to transport mode
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #23
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Your truck may not be going into sleep mode. New vehicles go into sleep when they sit because of all the electronics that they have.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #24
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

If you brought your truck to me with that complaint I would do the following.

After letting the truck sit for 2 hour test the battery draw using the meter in the picture below.

If unacceptable I would remove the glove box light bulb and any other light bulbs that could burn without you being able to see them like the under hood light if equipped. Then check the draw again and see if it changed.

If no change then I would start pulling fuses until I find the circuit that clears the excessive draw.

Phil P
Excessive draw would be anything over about a .5 amps

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #25
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
The fact that one dealer put a starter on for a parasitic draw shows they were spit balling. While I would also suspect one of the pimp accessories, I wouldn't let it lead me in the wrong direction. Typically, over 30 mA draw is considered excessive. It can be detected with an inductive pick up meter like in Phil's picture or placing a amp meter in line between the battery cable and battery. I would start by disconnecting added accessories one at a time and then move on to pulling fuses one at a time. I have seen various body modules cause excessive draw due to not going to "sleep".
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 AM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
The fact that one dealer put a starter on for a parasitic draw shows they were spit balling. While I would also suspect one of the pimp accessories, I wouldn't let it lead me in the wrong direction. Typically, over 30 mA draw is considered excessive. It can be detected with an inductive pick up meter like in Phil's picture or placing a amp meter in line between the battery cable and battery. I would start by disconnecting added accessories one at a time and then move on to pulling fuses one at a time. I have seen various body modules cause excessive draw due to not going to "sleep".
Hi

Going by the OEM manuals I purchased with our Duramax it’s about a 2 hour project to determine the draw after everything shuts down. Then they don’t give you a number they tell to divide the draw in the amp hour rating of the batteries.

A lot of OEM devices and some take a long time to shut down.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #27
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
My '12 Ram sits for months at a time. Original batteries still in it, however going to change them this this spring. That said, I have a 5 watt solar panel that sits in the windshield and keeps them up.

My owners manual says to disconnect the batteries if sitting for over 60 days. So, either get a panel or get frustrated. Warranty only pays .3th of a hour for diagnosis which is 18 minutes. Techs are on a hourly flat rate. So go out get a truck, check it, park truck outside, you have taken 18 minutes out of their time to make a living.

Todays vehicles are designed to be driven, not parked for long periods of time.

Good luck.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote