Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Cargo Carrier

I want to add a cargo carrier to my TV, aka "Bubba." Never measured the distance from my old TVs, Dodge 3500, tailgate to the front of the Montana. Can someone please provide me with the safe distance from the rear of your truck to the front of your Montana? This will help me in making sure that I have enough room between my cargo carrier (not purchased yet) and the front of the Montana.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe are you talking about one of the cargo carriers that fit in the hitch below/or incorporated into the bumper? I don't think there is enough room for one those since when the truck turns the carrier will pivot and the corner of the carrier or possibly the cargo on the carrier will take out the front end of the Monte! I may be wrong and maybe someone who has one or tried one will come along and give you an answer. [s]I don't know what you have infront of your hitch in the bed of the truck but that may be the ideal place to figure out some type of cargo carrier there instead. [/s] OOPS! After looking at your picture of your rig and the TV you might be able to figure something out after all. Forgot you got the new TV! You have quite a bit of space between the NEW TV and the rig. Maybe you can redesign the front carrying area where you have the storage lockers and extend that area up to the rear axle or even beyond on the TV also. That would be my best guess! But who am I to know, I just have a plane old TV!!

You coming up to the Fall Rally in Goshen this year? I know you're busy for the Central Plains Rally but maybe the Goshen will work for you!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Yes, a cargo carrier that fits into the 2" receiver. I just cannot remember how much room I had between my old TVs bumper and the front of the Monty. Would like to relocate the 3600 generator, fuel, and a propane tank to the carrier. We would like to make the rally and get the level up system installed.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Joe if you are hooked up and jack knife your unit to about 45 degrees that will be about the closest your TV will come to the front of the Monty, if you put a 2 x 4 or something at the end of the receiver the width of the back of your TV and measure the distance to the front of the Monty at the outside point of the 2x4, that should give you a good idea how far back you would be able to make the carrier. Looks to me like you have scads of room behind the cab for storage on that grand looking TV.

On our regular TV's if we can make any turn with the tailgate down (never tried this) then we would be able to make the carrier stick out no further than that, however I would leave a few inches to spare for non flat turns.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Thanks Ed....