Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #21
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdowell77 View Post
We put in an Anderson hitch when we bought our Montana last year and have been very happy with it. If you just get close with the pin box over the ball, it will align itself and slide down into position. It really pulls well without any jerking or handling problems. We have the Aluminum version as our High Country is only rated for 14,000 pounds loaded and it really has been a good hitch for us so far. Not only that, I can remove it by myself using a 15/16 socket and a Crescent wrench and stow it in the basement of the coach. Takes about five minutes to put it in or take it out.

Many people are happy with them, 99% of the bashing comes from people who have never owned nor towed with one.

I find no issues with it, the Aluminum version has had a couple issues, which Andersen redesigned . I have the steel version attached to a reese picture adapter that fits the fifth wheel prep on my 2014 Ram 3500. I had a 18K Reese hitch when I bought the Ram that fit the ISR rails , the reason for the adapter, and the reason why I went the steel version .

The damage with the Andersen was brought up by the OP. The conventional fifth wheel hitches have done far more damage to fifth wheels , and trucks from the simple fact that you can drop a fifth wheel on the bed of a truck. That is something that can't be done with a Andersen.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MLH ,( Lynwood) is a wise man and gives great advise..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #23
Bridge4d
Established Member

M.O.C. #21290
I've had 2 hitches. The Husky 26K and a Reese Elite. The Reese isn't as good as the Husky IMO. It's finicky and sometimes a real pain to hook/unhook. Never had a problem with the Husky.

2022 3761FL Legacy
2022 F450 Dually
Bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #24
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
OP was very specific with what he wanted. I even said "That man knows what he wants!!" when reading it.
Not sure why folks are trying to change his mind.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
MLH ,( Lynwood) is a wise man and gives great advise..

Rich you are probably pulling my leg but thanks anyway.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #26
Arky

M.O.C. #23641
I also have a Anderson hitch, I understand theres a lot of good hitches, I like the fact with a 6'4 bed I can have have my 50 gal transfer flow fuel tank and my hard top cover with my Anderson hitch, and under 40 pounds it is light enough to install and uninstall without help, and there's not a hitch on the market thats stronger. No greasy mess, zero noise.
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
The Andersons are nice I have one also, not sure how it holds all the weight but it does, I guess your peace of mind Is priceless. good luck shopping !
I also have an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch, Aluminum Version 2, for my Montana Mountaineer 347THT which maxes out just under 15,000 lbs, well under the 24,000 lbs rating for the Andersen. I love it! I have no complaints about it. Easy to hookup. No greasy mess. Weighs just 35 lbs. And I can put it in and take it out in under 5 minutes. I just need a torque wrench and a 15/16" socket and 5 minutes of time. That's it. Pulls really smooth. I've towed with it all last summer up and down 9% grades in West Virginia, no problems at all.

I know the OP is set on a non-Andersen hitch, which is fine of course, but since other people read this thread too who may be in the market for a hitch, I thought they might benefit from some positive hands-on opinions of the Andersen from people that actually use one.

Best of luck to the OP. I hope he posts which hitch he decided on and why. Sharing information, research, and personal experience can only be of benefit to all of us!
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #28
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
(ship)
The conventional fifth wheel hitches have done far more damage to fifth wheels , and trucks from the simple fact that you can drop a fifth wheel on the bed of a truck. That is something that can't be done with a Andersen.
I had just heard of this for the first time from a friend who was out in the desert when I guy showed up with a Montana 5th wheel, the guy unlocked the pin from the conventional 5th wheel hitch, pulled forward, and the trailer crashed down on the guys truck bed.

Since I've never owned a conventional 5th wheel hitch (the Andersen is my first and only hitch), what causes this to happen? Is this caused by forgetting to put the landing gear down? Yikes.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #29
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
While I too have an Andersen hitch and have no issues or concerns with it, the OP asked for specific information on hitches he prefers. I hope us "Andersen guys" will stop trying to debate and respect others that may not share the same opinion on Andersen's :-)

My brother had the Reese Towpower (with Elite head) and liked it.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #30
Patyacht

M.O.C. #22123
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Well you know how opinions are ,everyone has one

But opinions are not facts, so what is it you base your OPINIONS on, I know there has been some issues with Aluminum Andersen, BUT NO accidents or damage to truck or fifth wheels .

Absolutely no issues with the steel version rail mount . My point is, this is how this kind of nonsense gets started. Sometimes we are better served then giving opinions on something we know nothing about . Just saying .
I've had both the Anderson and 2 Demco Autoslide Hijackers 21k. So I'm speaking from personal experience and not opinion! Your statement that "BUT NO accidents or damage to truck or fifth wheels." for the Anderson hitch is totally incorrect. I'll leave it at that for the Anderson.
Reference the 2 - 21k Demco's I've owned, the 1st being the older design and the 2nd being the newer design (better capture plate), I've had no issues at all. I currently am using the 21k Demco Autoslide.
Patyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #31
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyacht View Post
I've had both the Anderson and 2 Demco Autoslide Hijackers 21k. So I'm speaking from personal experience and not opinion! Your statement that "BUT NO accidents or damage to truck or fifth wheels." for the Anderson hitch is totally incorrect. I'll leave it at that for the Anderson.
Reference the 2 - 21k Demco's I've owned, the 1st being the older design and the 2nd being the newer design (better capture plate), I've had no issues at all. I currently am using the 21k Demco Autoslide.
These threads that turn into Andersen bashing threads just crack me up.
SOOOOO many statements based on third and forth party opinions. So there facts right? LOL or maybe the end user was just stupid and has always needed help with things.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyacht View Post

Thats an interesting statement, I mean yours on this " BUT NO accidents or damage to truck or fifth wheels " for the Andersen hitch is totally incorrect. " I'll leave it at that. WOW !!!!

Here's the problem with your statement, ,another bash, unless some facts, lets hear the damage, you mentioned fact ,not opinion, well its still opinion or whatever unless you state the facts .

Okay we got an accident where the driver blames the Andersen hitch failure on his inability to stop in time, thats a tough one to blame the hitch, he was in a panic stop, and rear ended the vehicle in front of him.

We had a guy on the RV Net forum blame the Andersen adapter on bending his pin box, where it was mounted, thats a first on that ,and the only one I know of. We know of one or possibly two, but I have only heard of one where the tubes started to bend, no damage to truck ,and trailer.

Now we have had some reports of bed deflection , same as what was going on with the B&W goose mounted hitch, solution shims in the valley of bed.

So it comes down to whatever damage to truck, and fifth wheel that you have experienced or know of with the Andersen hitch

And I will repeat conventional hitches have caused more damage to fifth wheel ,and trucks then Andersen will ever do, and the conventional's will continue to do damage.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #33
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2dMax View Post
While I too have an Andersen hitch and have no issues or concerns with it, the OP asked for specific information on hitches he prefers. I hope us "Andersen guys" will stop trying to debate and respect others that may not share the same opinion on Andersen's :-)

My brother had the Reese Towpower (with Elite head) and liked it.

There is the problem, and whats actually the problem here facts verses opinions. I don't really have any opinions on Andersen, I can only state the facts, I will debate them .

I too have a Reese hitch with the Signature head, which I believe is now called the Elite , I still use that, and also the Andersen. I use the Andersen for just my annual trip to Montana, for a reason, all other trips I use the Reese.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #34
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
[QUOTE=PSFORD99

... And I will repeat conventional hitches have caused more damage to fifth wheel ,and trucks then Andersen will ever do, and the conventional's will continue to do damage.[/QUOTE]

Well that is a loaded statement since many, many more conventional hitches exist vs andersen hitches. So it will be, probably for the rest of time."

Most cases of damage to truck or fifth in this context are operator error. Nobody wants to say it but we all know that... it is sometimes hard for the person to admit they screwed up.

Drop the mic!

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #35
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Well that is a loaded statement since many, many more conventional hitches exist vs andersen hitches. So it will be, probably for the rest of time."

Most cases of damage to truck or fifth in this context are operator error. Nobody wants to say it but we all know that... it is sometimes hard for the person to admit they screwed up.

Drop the mic!

Sure its a loaded statement, there is no doubt. Doesn't change the fact.

Everybody likes to hang on opinions, lets put them equal in sales , which style of hitch is going to cost the most in damages. We love these opinions on here , so here is mine, the Andersen will never come close to damages that a Conventional will do.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #36
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post

Drop the mic!
NAH, it`ll catch up and surpass. On the truck forum boards they are the hitch of choice of the younger crowd, one reason is the cost savings and we all remember how much money we didn`t have back then and the younger people are still using their trucks for work thus needing a clean bed for hauling things. The thought of removing the TITANIC`S anchor on a regular bases from the back of the truck is not in the cards.. Remember the old fogies will die out and the whole concept will die with them. Love my Andersen.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #37
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
I'd wager the Andersen has a place in the towing world. But likely... on trailers with GVWRs under say 15K, maybe even less. Over that it might be an idea to consider hitches designed to cushion the weight of those heavier pins. The stresses on the trailer frame and the anecdotal evidence say a goose neck and ball setup is probably hard on the supporting frame at those locations on the trailer because it transmits the shocks of transit directly. Adding a ball receiver to an air pinbox is to change the existing geometry and subjecting it to unintended stresses.

In absolute numbers, yeah... there have been more damage situations involving convention hitches but on a "incidents per hitch" basis you'd be hard pressed to say, with authority, the Andersen is better. But blaming the hitch..... I stand by my "opinion" mostly it's operator error, not the hitch.

On the right type of trailer under the right circumstances I'd no have trouble choosing an Andersen if appropriate for me.

But we digress... the OP is not interested in an Andersen.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #38
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
First I want to thank everyone for their replies
Second If you all would have read my initial post I asked for info/opinions on 2 specific hitches.
For all of you that have Anderson hitches and love them GREAT and CONGRATULATIONS!!
I still think they are garbage and here is why
1) on the first design the aluminum frames could and were collapsing on panic stops, that is the reason for the redesign to steel frames.
2) now with the redesign the hitch ball shafts are fracturing.
3) any time you must "adapt" something that in itself is a point for failure. The ball coupler for the king pin is just that an adapter.
4) If you have a MORryde or Roto-flex king pin or any similar design now you must adapt it twice.
No Thanks you can keep it and that goes for the Pull-Rite design also although i have not heard or seen any bad press on those.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #39
drsnook
Established Member

M.O.C. #22992
gjetzen, I know the Curt Q series was not on your list, but I just put a new Q20 in to replace an old Husky 16k. The difference is night and day between the two. The old husky would creak and groan and bang when going at low speeds, and making transitions. The new Curt is quiet with none of the noise of the old husky.
I towed our old Mountaineer to the dealership and left with the new 3120RL, and the results were the same with both trailers...nice and quiet!

I believe either one of the two you are looking at will give the same results, but if you can pick up the Curt for a good price, it will too.

regards,
D
Old 03-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #40
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjetzen View Post
Nope would not consider one. You may really like yours but JMO, it's an accident looking for a place to happen.
Know this: For every incident with an Andersen hitch, I promise you I can post one (or several) equal incidents with ANY OTHER hitch. That's a fact. I've done it several times with others who are mechanical engineer wannabes on different forums. Go ahead and test it if you please. You post an incident with an Andersen hitch, and I'll respond with one about an old-school steel failure. I'm ready. I've already got the pictures and report saved from last debate about this topic. For your own peace of mind, PLEASE don't get the Andersen. That would be stupid of you. But (just like the anti-vaccers in this country) your argument is on the wrong side of the facts and I come out swinging when people try to state a belief as a fact. I have no particular love for the Andersen Engineering company. I've simply owned 2 of the Andersen Ultimate hitches over the last 7 years, steel and now aluminum and and my purchases were done with tons and tons or research on all hitches, with the advice of an actual, not-kidding-around, mechanical engineer son-in-law. I would never in a million years go back to an old school, 300 lbs of pig iron in my bed truck style hitch . But heck, we all know aluminum isn't strong enough, right? That's why an Air Force C-5 cargo jet can lift a 500,000 lb. combat cargo load with ease. Because it's almost ENTIRELY aluminum. So, post your Andersen failures and I'll respond right back with my own examples.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote