Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Sandrewson

M.O.C. #14185
Repositioning waste valves?

My '15 3611RL is in need of waste valve service for the second time. Not sure if the issue is the cables binding, or the valves sticking, but I'm tired of going through this every 2 years or less. Rather than replace the valves this often, we've decided to go to drainmaster electric valves. My issue is in the placement of the existing valves. The electric valves will not simply slide into the flange. They have to be mounted upright, and there's a metal brace directly above them. The flange is cemented directly into the waste tank so it's not an option to remove the flange and extend it about 2". I could leave the existing valves in place and just leave them open, installing the new valves in the pipe, away from the tank. Will those old valves eventually leak? Would it be an option to replace the seals, remove the valve body, and bolt the 2 flange pieces directly together. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waste valve.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	2707  

Sandrewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I wouldn't have any concerns about leaving the existing valves open and in place and mounting the electrics down stream. Let us know how this project ends up.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Bummer about how they designed your system. I would think that you could remove the valve and bolt the flanges together if you made a custom rubber gasket to fit in between. Should be easy to make it since you will have the one flange cut out and can do it at a bench. Or use a properly sized o ring that is a good enough diameter so that it seals okay. I would prefer making one out of sheet rubber though as you can use the four bolts to hold it in place during assembly. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I replaced with direct pull threaded rod pulls. Minor reroute of lines and cable pull locations. Lowe’s/Home Depot have heavy rubber sleeves that attach like a auto radiator hose. Those should simplify things for you.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Have you looked at the electric valve made by Valterra? It looks like maybe a better fit. Look at this: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/E1003VP.html
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Sandrewson

M.O.C. #14185
Yes, I looked at the Valterra valves when I first started looking. Decided to go with the Drainmaster because of the way they are constructed. They have metal gears that should last for the life of the fiver. They are designed from the ground up as electric valves. The valterra valves are the same plastic junk that I've had issues with, with an electric motor added. Mounted sideways, it is inevitable that sooner or later, gunk is going to get into the area where the motor and gears are. Discovered I had a leak in the grey valve on the drain side. We're going to replace the seals on the existing valves, leave them open, and install the electric valves downstream where there is plenty of headroom. Just ordered the parts. Hope to have the job done next week
Sandrewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrewson View Post
My '15 3611RL is in need of waste valve service for the second time. Not sure if the issue is the cables binding, or the valves sticking, but I'm tired of going through this every 2 years or less. Rather than replace the valves this often, we've decided to go to drainmaster electric valves. My issue is in the placement of the existing valves. The electric valves will not simply slide into the flange. They have to be mounted upright, and there's a metal brace directly above them. The flange is cemented directly into the waste tank so it's not an option to remove the flange and extend it about 2". I could leave the existing valves in place and just leave them open, installing the new valves in the pipe, away from the tank. Will those old valves eventually leak? Would it be an option to replace the seals, remove the valve body, and bolt the 2 flange pieces directly together. Any ideas would be appreciated.
The Drainmaster valve don't have to be mounted upright they can be mounted off to ether side at an angle they have a siren angle you can't go past for them to work properly
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
n4qpcham

M.O.C. #13941
Check out Love Your RV on YouTube. Ray installed the same valves on his Cougar. Search for: Electric RV Dump Valves - Part 1 (Install Plans and Demo). Part 2 is the actual installation.
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote