Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
Routing Info for N. CA from I-5 to 101

I know there are a lot of MOC Owners from the West Coast. Since I am from the East Coast and planning a trip in June to your part of the country I have some routing questions. We are visiting Yosemite NP and then plan to take the rig up the west coast to Seattle Washington. I want to get over to route 101 somewhere north of San Francisco and then run all the way up the coast. My first question is this a dumb idea with my Montana? If the answer to my first questions is no it is not a dumb idea then my second question is how is California Rte. 20 from Williams I -5 over to 101? Or would I be better off cutting over from I- 5 farther North or South but still North of San Francisco.

Also I am looking any suggestions about this part of the trip, campgrounds, not to be missed attractions & etc.

Thanks for any help.

Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi The Rte. 20 from Williams is great goes through Clear Lake Calif. It's a little curvy, but do able and that's only for about ten miles. The rest is just sweeping curves. The Lake can be very calming. It's 25 miles long then you head toward, Ukaih and then Willits that takes you up to Eureka, Crescent City, Brookings which is Oregon, Gold Beach, Bandon, Coos Bay, Winchester Bay, Reedsport, Florence, Waldport, Newport, so on. Then Washington. Have a nice trip.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
No your idea is not dumb. Hwy-20 from I-5 to Hwy-101 is a popular route and you won't have a problem taking your Monty that way. The quicker you get off of I-5 and onto Hwy-101 the better. Much more scenic on Hwy-101.

The Oregon State Parks are terrific, but you will be getting to that time when school is out and the tourists are in full bloom. Reservations are recommended. One of our favorite RV places is the Winchester Bay RV Resort about 20 miles north of Coos Bay. Ask for a spot on the outside on the west. These back up to the river/ocean and are perfect for viewing out the rear window. Be aware the park is pricey.

Fort Stevens near Astoria is another favorite park. Grayland State Park in WA is also a wonderful stop. I am sure there are lots of wonderful park along the coast, but these are the ones we come back to.

Do you plan to get to Seattle via the coast through the Olympic forest (which is a long way around - but very scenic if you have the time) or by cutting northeast near Aberdeen?

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We did similar last year, here is a page of my maps. Each of these maps represents a "move". Ya, sometimes only 40 miles to the next stop. It took 6 weeks to get from San Fran to Seaside Oregon.

Maps.

At map 49, we veared off towards Portland, as we had a busted front landing leg, best vear we have done in many years. It led to wonderful places to visit that we had not managed to put into the plan. Missed the Olympic Peninsula, must go back! What a shame, eh??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Hiller, we are heading out from Illinois in 2 weeks and making our way to San Francisco. We have planned 4 days/nights there before making our way up Rt. 101 to Seattle, where we are catching a RC cruise. Good advise on making reservations now. We didn't have any trouble for going out, but when making reservations coming back some CG's were already getting booked.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
Thanks everyone, this is what I like about this Club. everyone is helpful.
Great group of people.

I start locking down reservations today.
Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Hiller
You didn't say where you are staying while at Yosemite. They do have room for Large rigs in Yosemte, but they are limited.
If you are traveling up Hwy 99, you might think about staying in Merced, We have a nice Elks Club RV park and it is hour drive to Yosemite, up the Mariposa and the beautiful Merced river Canyon.
Contact me if you want more info. Maybe we can get together.
As for Hwy 20 nice drive been across it may a time heading north.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
bennettommyd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12931
Carl is right. Winchester Bay RV Resort is a great place if you can get in. Lighthouse tour is cool and if you're there around Father's Day the Chain Saw world Championships are happening. It's amazing what they can do with a chainsaw.
bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote