Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
one truck, two meters

The new Fords have a miles per gallon meter calculating the mileage on the fly with a variable interval like last fifty miles, etc. This screen has a cute green indicator to show if you are driving frugally or not.

The second mileage meter is the trip meter. It has two (A & B). If you zero the meter when you fill up, it will tell you how many miles traveled and how many gallons of fuel burned. We have checked it our against the "old way of calculating" and found the trip meter calculations to be quite accurate. The other indicator is not.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Nice...I'm using an add on, ScanGauge II to serve as my means to this same end...
http://www.scangauge.com/

Typically tho, I've got it in Xgauge mode giving me 4 digital simultaneous meters for TFT (Trans Fluid Temp), ECT (Engine Coolant Temp), EOT (Engine Oil Temp) and BST (Boost Pressure).
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Hey Charles! I didn't know we could get boost pressure on the Scangauge. I looked at the Xgauge docs and couldn't find a reference for that.

Google is my friend! I think I've found out how (it is just an approximation since it doesn't compensate for altitude, but is better than nothing). It is time for me to take advantage of my Scangauge and really monitor my engine. I like your choice of gauges and think I'll do the same.
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Hey Bill: here is a recent thread on the Scan Gauge and embedded is a link to a set of PIDs and instructions which cure the incorrect display when the boost exceeds 22 PSI.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44441

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
I think that thread was just before I joined MOC. Also, I think I have boost programmed!
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I have a Scan Guage and used it on my 2006 6.0 I monitored engine oil temp, engine coolant temp, transmission temp and alternator output. I noticed that the engine coolant temp was always 4 to 6 degrees cooler than the oil temp. My 2011 6.7 Ford has engine oil temp & transmission temp readouts if you pick Gage mode for the display window. I'm not using the Scan Gage at present as this system already monitors 2 of the 3 critical temps I was watching and the third can be approximated. The 6.0 didn't have a head temp sensor in it. The strange thing is the 5.4 gas burner from Ford did have a cylinder head temp sensor. I wonder if they put one in the 6.7?
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Hey wait a minute, Stiles was talking about the two meters on his truck one being correct and the other not (the one that tells him if he is driving frugally.) How did this thread get turned into boosters?

Stiles everyone knows you are frugal - you don't need that gage anyway.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Actually, I now have my scanguage installed in my 2011 Ford. I am again monitoring engine coolant temps, engine RPMs, electrical output & horsepower. I would try and monitor cylinder head temps if I could. You can also calibrate a Scan Guage to more accurately track fuel consumption than the built in guage in your Ford. In fact it will give you cost per mile since your last fillup.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave Nowlin

Actually, I now have my scanguage installed in my 2011 Ford. I am again monitoring engine coolant temps, engine RPMs, electrical output & horsepower. I would try and monitor cylinder head temps if I could. You can also calibrate a Scan Guage to more accurately track fuel consumption than the built in guage in your Ford. In fact it will give you cost per mile since your last fillup.
That part of the gauge scares the hell out of me so I never look at it.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote