Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #21
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Nothing required in Manitoba, Canada, but on our drivers license an upgrade is required but at this point they are not enforcing it.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #22
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
How many California RVer's have class C licenses and a house car endorsement or don't. If not do you intend to get it?
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #23
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
How many California RVer's have class C licenses with the House Car permit. How many do not? How many intend to get it?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #24
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
HamRad
How would they know that you need the endorsement if they haven't weighed the trailer to see if it exceeds 10,000. My max weight is 11100 but I never carry fluids in the holding tanks and rarely much in the fresh water. I usually am around 9500. It seems to me they would be basically false arresting you if they made you drop the rig and then get a permit that was in a particular case not required. Any time they stop a party for any reason you are being detained. Certainly they have a right to inquire. I would think if you had recent weigh scale readings or if they gave a citation requiring the rig be weighed within say 24 hours or something maybe then but they cannot go just from your RV's GVWR which may allow you to exceed the amount you could tow with out it. But many run over and many run under. Interesting how they will enforce this.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #25
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
No inspections required for trailers in Alabama. In fact, they don't even require cars to be inspected. It is a crock as far as I am concerned. I am originally from Texas and can say that the vehicle inspections there do keep some of the crap off the road. I have seen cars here in Alabama going down the roads with NO windshields and NO headlights. In Texas those guys would be in jail. Then they wonder why Alabama is such a backward and poor state. If they would at least collect an inspection fee it would pay for the additional troopers needed on the highways. Guess you can see this is a touchy subject.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #26
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Bob,
They do use the GVWR listed. It may not be "right" but that is the way they do it. If it lists at 10,001 to 15,000 then they know you need the #41 endorsement. Since my rig was in that category I decided I'd just bite the bullet and get it done. I doubt I'll ever need it but with my luck the next time I hit the road without it..... well you know how that goes.

That info about the "training" area for the CHP on I-80 is nice to know. I suspect that may be the only place in the entire state where one might have to worry about having the endorsement.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #27
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I've got a Class C license without the endorsement, but intend to check on this further next week. I'll post what the local DMV office says. It might be interesting to see if anyone else gets the same response from their local office.

Another concern is that it may be an insurance coverage issue if someone was unfortuate and had an accident without the proper endorsement.

I would think the CHP would need to see a legitimate violation to pull you over before checking your license for the endorsement without being accused of profiling. Maybe they should pull everyone over to see if they even have a license?

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #28
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
To all,
Thanks for all the info from the different state and provinances.
To Native Tex,
I love your comments about NO annual inspection in AL, it would be the same in New Hampshire in the winter time, they would just have to dress a little warmer.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #29
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Nothing in Iowa either
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:45 AM   #30
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Travel trailers were at one time just that,travel trailers. Now they have become rolling condos,which have become as long and wide as most tractor trailers. I agree that its just a matter of time before all states will require inspections and a cdl to operate. I would think like our blonde gov. here in Mich, another way to get some more money out of us to waste.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There are no vehicle nor trailer inspections of any kind required in South Dakota.

In Kansas, when you first register an out of state auto/truck you must have a safety inspection done by the Kansas Highway Patrol. Or at least it used to work that way. After that, no inspections. Don't know if the same applies to trailers or not.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

I'd read that the CHP was stopping rigs on I-80 east of Sacramento toward Reno. If you didn't have the required license then they were making you drop your rig in a safe place until you got your license.
HamRad
Dennis, this is only for California-licensed rigs, right? Reason I ask is we don't yet know where we'll be between Yellowstone and the rally in Minden, NV, which is close to that area. If they also stop out-of-state rigs then I might just avoid that road. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #33
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
nothing in Nebraska--used to have to have cars inspected and I guess they decided it was too much work for the service stations so that was eliminated. If you bring in a vehicle from another state you have to have the DMV look at it before liecensing in NE.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #34
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
I read the post on another board over a year ago. I suspect they would be looking for rigs registered in CA. And I would not even worry about it. Even in a worse case scenario you drop the rig and go into the nearest DMV office and get the endorsement. Since you are not registered in CA and since CA should honor SD rules..... I assume SD has no such licensing rule.... you would be fine. My guess it that since this area is a training area for the CHP that is why there may have been a few stopped. Please don't anyone lose sleep over this one. Only time it might come into play would be if you were stopped for some other infraction and they went by the book. Probably ain't gonna happen. Just keep enjoying and travel on. I hope the Mt. View park is turning out as nice for you as it was for us.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:29 AM   #35
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
VT requires a safety inspection annually.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:42 AM   #36
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
No inspections in FL.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:50 AM   #37
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I agree with HamRad! Do not worry about CHP stopping you just for endorsement checks or weight issues. Even on the "training areas" they are looking for "probable cause" to pull you over. If you are driving in a normal safe manner and if you are not speeding (55 in CA towing a trailer) they will not pull you over. But do check your lights and make sure your vehicle license plates are up to date and visable. Don't hide the plates behind bike racks etc.

Have a safe trip and do not let the CHP worry you. They are really pretty good guys. Well most of them anyway.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think licensing rules are honored between states. Otherwise there would be chaos.

Dennis and Mary Kay, yes, we love this park. We have looked at some other parks in the area and this one is by far the best, in our opinion and for our wants and needs. And it has free wifi "in selected sites." We are at Mountain Meadow RV Park, south side of US 2 on the east side of Hungry Horse. That's the one you stayed at, right? They advertise it as 'state park setting' and that's precisely correct. It looks like a state park except for the big office building. I just noticed yesterday the pond is heart-shaped. We can see it from outside our rig. Thanks for the recommendation. You hit a home run.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #39
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Charlie,

Can you confirm "no inspect" in Texas? I noticed what appears to be a state inspect tag on the hitch of my Mounty, and, if there is an inspection, I'd be due in December.

Also noticed that your pic looks like it was taken at the entrance of Holiday World in Katy. Did you guys get your Monty there, too? We got a SWEET deal from them at the end of last year (made up for the less than stellar sales fella).
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #40
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
I noted the Calif. #41 endorsement requirement while looking through some brochures picked up at a CalExpo RV show prior to buying our 3400. (over 10,000#)
Our local DMV office was unfamiliar with the requirement so it took them a while to come up with the appropriate written test. Read the study book for about 20 minutes (mostly common sense stuff and trailer facts), took the test, had a new picture taken, and 10 days later had a new #41 endorsed CDL in the mail. No charge if your regular CDL is not close to expiration.
Purchased 5er out of state so it required VIN inspection prior to registration. Local PD officer was familiar with the endorsement requirement.

I figured it was worth going through the process rather than risk a ticket or delay of a trip. Calif DMV offices are notoriously busy, and you never know what time of day or location you could meet up with a CHP or local PD/SO who is familiar with that veh code section.

jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote